2013 Top Tier Program

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by igloocoder, Dec 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. igloocoder
    • Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

It looks like it has just been announced at http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan/toptier_2013.html

Haven't had time to do a full analysis but a couple of interesting tidbits:
    • No Star Gold until 50k/50 segments
    • New 75k/75 segment tier
      • This tier gets IKK at 2x ClassicFlight levels
    • 100k/95 segment tier now is different from next lower tier (75/75) by:
      • Guaranteed seat when purchasing full fare economy
      • Concierge service
      • IKK at ClassicFlight levels
      • "Special Air Canada recognition for a friend or family member"...which looks like it will be a selection choice for your package
    Big questions I still have:
    1. What will the Tier Bonus Miles differences be for the 35/50/75/100?
    2. What will the new Tier upgrade windows look like?
    Probably my biggest disappointment, as a current SE, is that there isn't much "day-of-travel" difference between the 100k and 75k tiers. Heck, there doesn't seem to be between the 100k and 50k tiers. Concierge seems to be the only significant difference (no knowing about how the tiers will play with the upgrade wait list) and that seems to be about the same as now between E and SE. So I guess my current gripe about the day-of experience will still hold true. Maybe I'll need the Concierge more than two times in my next 300 AC segments and my mind will change about this.
    I'm also interested in what the different tiers will be named. My suggestions are:
    25k - Prestige​
    35k - Almost Elite​
    50k - Elite​
    75k - Slightly More Elite​
    100k - Super Elite​

YULtide and 2MM_Guy like this.
  2. canucklehead
    • Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

interesting how they give 35K members AC Gold status but not * status, and 50K *Gold status. They do offer * alliance lounge access as one of the choices.

Its a lot to digest wrt to the bennies at each level! The 25K increment is very reminiscent of UAs program.

YULtide likes this.
  3. tomh009
    • Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

I have to think that the 35K level is for 2013 only, and 2014 will show 25/50/75/100. It doesn't really make sense to keep 35K as a separate level in the long term.

And I do agree that there should be more differentiation ... maybe mileage bonuses will be 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%? But I'd like to see more differentiation on the travel itself, not just extra miles in my account.

kyunbit and canucklehead like this.
  4. The Lev
    • Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Other SE differences you are not factoring in:
    - Higher upgrade/waitlist priority
    - Occasionally better treatment on board

5. tomh009
    • Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Oh yes -- at 35K, the eUpgrade credits cannot be used on international Tango Plus fares.

Everyone from 25K up gets "priority reservation services"; it's not clear whether there will be an equivalent to the current SE desk -- or the SE check-in lines.

Priority rewards do seem to be at the 100K level only, same as current SE.

eUpgrade credits are 20, 30, 40, 50 and 65 at the five levels. The 65 is the same as the current SE maximum, but I do believe the 30 is lower than the current E level.

6. East_Yorker
    • Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Ah status...I remember those days. At least with 2012 being a leap year I get one extra day of Elite!

chaptwo likes this.
  7. Canadi>n
    • Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

I'm also interested in what the different tiers will be named. My suggestions are:
    25k - Prestige​
    35k - Almost Elite​
    50k - Elite​
    75k - Slightly More Elite​
    100k - Super Elite​
    [/quote]

More likely:
    25K - Pawn
    35K - Rook
    50K - Bishop
    75K - Knight
    100K - Royalty

8. global_happy_traveller
    • Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

not a bad change, quite generous to the 35K group IMHO.....but unfortunately i wont be able to find time to accumulate 50K in one year...... also thinking of finding another hobby :p

YULtide likes this.
  9. najetset

najetset Member

im more interested in the different colors for each level

25k- blue
    35k- red
    50k-silver
    75k-gold
    100k-black

10. canucklehead
    • Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

I think it is

25k - Silver
    35k - Gold-plated silver
    50k - 14K Gold
    75k - 18K Gold
    100k - Pure Gold/Platinum :D

Personally, I was hoping they would keep the 35K level and I was seriously thinking about coming back into the Aeroplan fold, but the fuel surcharge change and the 50K for * Gold full elite status means I will likely stick with UA and IF I get beyond 1K, look at Aegean (until they change) or another alliance for the remainder.

YULtide, 2MM_Guy and maradori like this.
  11. maradori
    • Original Member

maradori Silver Member

I sent a PM to @ACTopTier to see if they can prod their web team to whip up a table so the benefits for each tier can be compared ... kinda like the baggage chart (though looking back, i should have said fare option chart....). Hopefully they'll use my suggestion .... ?

5 tiers is quite a bit @_@ ... all I know is that I'm pretty screwed T_T

canucklehead likes this.
  12. ACMM
    • Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Permanent DO organizer?

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

canucklehead and TravelMusing like this.
  13. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

As I'm one of those poor fools that tends to qualify by segments rather than miles, it might not change a heck of a lot for me. But I do find 5 levels just a little much.

14. The Lev
    • Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

But a Rook is worth more than a Bishop or Knight.

2MM_Guy likes this.
  15. 2MM_Guy
    • Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

25K - Status Newbie
    35K - I am a somebody
    50K - I rush to the front of the line
    75K - I get called to the front of the line
    100K - DYKWIA

Exit Row, southender and unclepants like this.
  16. msakr

msakr Member

I would say pure confusing BS.. Guess need to preserve my SE for 2013 in order not to get into it.. If the world will not end on Dec 2012

2MM_Guy and Exit Row like this.
  17. tomh009
    • Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Confusing ... how? Sure, there are no names for the levels, and some details are missing, but AC is giving 12-month advance warning to the fact that they are restructuring the top tier levels, and I think that's a good thing. Now all of us will have the information well in advance and be able to use that to determine our travel plans for 2012.

Kudos to AC for good communication on this one. (Now, about that differentiation between the levels ...)

canucklehead likes this.
  18. msakr

msakr Member

I see they are stripping benefits, like now to get to SA Gold you need an additional 15k status miles, nothing is given in response.. Yes there was a huge gap between E and SE but except for the advance upgrades capabilities it was not really felt, given the eupgrade points we used to get every 20 k.. Now if we will do the math later on those points I bet will be reduced too. And what we get in exchange? I recommended to introduce random free on the spot upgrades as other airlines do on top of the eupgrade system, that would add value and more loyalty for less cost.. But no ears

19. ACMM
    • Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

msakr.... Welcome to milePoint and the AC forum. Nice to have you with us.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

20. mevlannen
    • Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Hi! I haven't had much to say lately, what with having taken a posting to an even-more-remote part of the world than before, and finding myself mostly grounded owing to lack of leave time.

I am greatly appreciative of the advance notice of the programme changes for year 2013. My best guess, right now, is that given my new air-commuting routes I shall end up at about 55,000 miles for the year 2012, which would comfortably make 'Elite Lite' under the new regime.

I rather like the idea of being ranked as 'Bishop', especially given that now the bulk of my air travel shall be along diagonal (northeast/southwest) routings. How very apt that is!

YULtide and 2MM_Guy like this.