1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

50,000 MR points for upgrade from PR Gold to Platinum

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Andyandy, Nov 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Andyandy
    • Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

I know there's a thread on this over at FT, but I couldn't find one here. A month or so ago, I called Amex on an unrelated matter and was offered 50K points to upgrade my PR gold to Plat. I declined. After some thought, and with an upcoming trip that I could use the lounge access/travel credit with, I called them up to see if it was still available. Yes it was. The whole process took maybe 10 minutes on the phone. I didn't have to give SSN and do not belive that it generated a hard pull. Especially since the agent was on the phone with me the whole time and didn't have to put me on hold for any sort of authorization.

Here's the deal. 50K after first purchase on the upgraded card. $450 annual fee is prorated for the remainder of my cardmember year. I'll receive a prorated refund for the annual fee on my PR Gold. I'm not sure I'll keep the card long term, but in the short term the deal works well for me. I don't know if it is targeted in any way, but if you've been thinking about upgrading, it can't hurt to call and ask.

Andyandy

2. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

I wonder if that would work if I cancelled the platinum that I currently have first?

miles and smiles and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. Andyandy
    • Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Do you have a Plat and a PR Gold? I'm afraid I don't have any information on the T&Cs of the offer, since it was made via telephone.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Yes, I have both. I will update if I decide to give it a try.

miles and smiles likes this.
  5. jumpdogjump
    • Original Member

jumpdogjump Silver Member

Interesting. I was targeted for Business gold upgrade to Plat - $250 for 25,000. If they called me with that offer, I might be tempted.

6. Andyandy
    • Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Jumpdog,

In my case, I called them. It might be worth calling in to ask.

Andyandy

7. lichenlt
    • Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Would there be a hard pull for such an upgrade?

8. Andyandy
    • Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

I don't know, as I haven't checked my credit file since the upgrade. I don't think there was, though. I didn't have to provide my SSN and the whole process took about 5 minutes.

lichenlt likes this.
  9. lichenlt
    • Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Did you call Membership Rewards or did you call regular customer service number on the back of your PR Gold card?

10. Andyandy
    • Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

I called the number on my Gold card.