747-400 Fleet Remodel

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gantrioch, Feb 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gantrioch

Gantrioch Active Member

2. twoner3232

twoner3232 Active Member

3. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

There will be a lot fewer BE seats on the 747s, although they will be flat beds.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. LAXtraveler
    • Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

5. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

BE will be a reverse herringbone layout. It looks very close to the seats in the 777s, but they are angled in the opposite direction, toward the window and toward the center of the aircraft in the center section. It might make they seem more suitelike than the 777s.

mtkeller likes this.
  6. mtkeller
    • Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

The pictures also suggest that there's more personal space than on the 777s, since there seems to be more of a table that remains accessible when the tray table is put away. The change in the angle makes a lot of sense, since solo travellers can gravitate to the windows and actually look out, while couples can take seats in the middle on the main deck and face each other without having an aisle between them.

sobore likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

But it also looks like it could be more awkward to get in and out of these seats than on the 777.

8. DeacFlyer1
    • Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Looks like the same, or a very similar seat to US Airways new Envoy product and Cathay's J product. Having just flown in this seat last week on US, trust me that it will be a nice improvement to DL's 747 fleet!

autolycus likes this.
  9. DeacFlyer1
    • Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Out of pure curiosity, can someone please tell me some of the routes that DL flies it's 747's on? I've done some random searching for various routes today, and I've only come across two routes (DTW-NRT and DTW-NGO) that appear to be flown by 747's. I believe DL has about 16 in the fleet, so I know it has to be more widespread than this, but I can't figure out what the other routes are!

Other Asian routes (DTW-HKG/PVG/PEK/ICN, MSP-NRT) all appear to be operated by 777's currently, and I know the longhaul routes from LAX (to NRT, SYD) aren't operated by 747s, and I can't think of any from ATL...and I don't feel like I've ever seen/heard of a DL 747 in Europe...so I'm just really curious where the rest of these birds are!

10. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

PMNW flew the 747s TATL to AMS as well as TPAC. MSP-NRT was the 747 until it switched to 777 a couple months ago; I've been told that it will switch back to a reconfigured 747.

Of the NRT nonstop routes from JFK and ATL, IIRC one is currently 777 and the other 747. Look for 747s on some intraAsia routes, IIRC NRT-HKG and NRT-PVG. Have you checked India, DXB, and TLV in your quest for the missing 747?

11. mtkeller
    • Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

DXB is a 777. JFK-TLV and JFK-NRT are on the 747 and share the same three aircraft. DTW-AMS has had one in summers. Haven't checked this year. ATL-NRT sometimes has the 747, I believe.