1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

A Polite Request for Adding Breakfast Benefit for Platinum Elites

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by From NYC, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. From NYC
    • Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

SPG seems to be falling behind a little in the benefit area lately for Platinums. Charging resort fees for benefits we already get for being Plat; and others.

One that would be easy to fix is to offer breakfast, even of just a continental one, to Plats. I think it would be a smart thing to add in, especially as Hyatt has it and Hilton offers it as well.

sdcarver, airoli, ssullivan and 2 others like this.
  2. baglady
    • Original Member

baglady Silver Member

Are you asking for breakfast seven days a week or with SPG across the board M-F?

3. Chris H
    • Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

I agree. Paying a $20+ resort fee for internet, phone, parking, and bottled water always feels like a slap in the face (especially if you don't have a car).

baglady likes this.
  4. From NYC
    • Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

7 days a week, and across all brands, not like the 7 days/week open lounges, which is only @ Sheraton.
    I tried Marriott for a year after a comp to Gold, while still keeping up with SPG, Hyatt & Hilton, and I just didn't like that the breakfast thing was only M-F. Just seemed so unnecessary to me. Yes there were some that offered it on weekends, but just the idea of it turned me off.

Again, I don't mind if it's just continental, or just juice, toast with accessories, and coffee, even though I'm an oatmeal for breakfast kind of guy. Just a little something to get me on my way. Occupancy seems to be going up, so....

baglady likes this.
  5. LFCorsten
    • Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

a little continental breakfast would be enough. The Westin Grand offers you as Platinum a free large breakfast in the restaurant.

6. karenkay
    • Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

i'd be happy with a bowl of cereal and a banana. :)

7. LFCorsten
    • Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

ment the westin grand in munich sorry can't edit my post.

8. Punki
    • Original Member

Punki Silver Member

I haven't noticed the resort fees. Maybe I need to pay closer attention, or stay at fancier hotels. ;)

We really do enjoy the free internet, especially in Europe where it can get really expensive. Also love option of a free bottle of wine.

9. mundosurfer
    • Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

The LM Bangkok offers Plats free breakfast in their buffet. They even give you a special section to sit in and sip your mimosas.

DYKWIA likes this.
  10. Mackieman
    • Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

It seems that SPG is merely keeping up with Marriott in this regard. I just have a hard a time believing breakfast can be that expensive and it would go a long way toward engendering loyalty with a lot (but not all) of the population.

11. mundosurfer
    • Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

It does not really bother me if it not free, if I can't afford to pay for breakfast when I travel then I probably should not be there to begin with.

DYKWIA likes this.
  12. Jenny & Curt
    • Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

My only fear with saying "Continental is enough" is that we'll end up with Holiday Inn Express-style breakfast within a full-service hotel. A decent Continental in a lounge space, or a choice of "continental" from a menu (lots of hotels offer this on the regular breakfast menu) would be enough to get you out the door in the morning and feel like status has been acknowledged a bit.

13. From NYC
    • Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

I meant going to the hotel's restaurant and ordering the continental. Whether I get a coupon when I check in, or it's taken off my bill, like the internet is, doesn't matter to me. I wouldn't want to see a sub-restaurant within the restaurant.

14. prncess674
    • Original Member

prncess674 Active Member

Free continental would be nice. There are so many US based properties without lounges it would be nice to just pop in quickly and hand over a coupon for a danish and a go cup of coffee on the way out the door. I know my work it paying, but somehow it irritates me to milk my firm for a $20 danish and coffee. I then instead spend time waiting in a local coffee shop for the same thing.

15. Jenny & Curt
    • Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

I find that I feel really stressed by the non-inclusion of breakfast, far in excess of the actual discomfort or espense it causes, and will sometimes book a Hyatt in the same city just to know I will get a nice breakfast.

16. Jenny & Curt
    • Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

I find that I feel really stressed by the non-inclusion of breakfast, far in excess of the actual discomfort or espense it causes, and will sometimes book a Hyatt in the same city just to know I will get a nice breakfast.

17. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Most Thailand Starwood properties comp Plats full buffet breakfast at their respective restaurants ... the ones I know about in addition to the above mentioned LM are: the SGS, the other LM Plaza Athénée, the ROS, and the newly opened Four Points Sukhumvit 15. I've been told that the same offered at LM Khao Lak, LM Chiang Mai, and Sheraton Krabi. I hope this trend continues with the upcoming St. Regis, W and the Aloft all located in Bangkok.

1 person likes this.
  18. Bay Pisco Shark
    • Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

This is the one thing I miss most about the Westin program. Even when they devauled it near the end, it was still an $8 breakfast credit (12 years ago). No worries about a lounge, nor disputes at the desk nor anything except that everyone got continental breakfast vouchers always.

19. lili
    • Original Member

lili Gold Member

Ii was upgraded to a Tower room at the Sheraton at FRA, the lounge was closed for rennovation, but I got breakfast at Lemons & Limes (sports bar). However, I went to the wrong restaurant, Flavors ("elegant"), and was charged 32 Euro. I sent an email and they responded graciously and removed the charge.

20. Tanic
    • Original Member

Tanic Active Member

Good to know. Westin Grand Berlin charges close to €30 for breakfast buffet.

21. peteropny
    • Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

This would be a solid benefit for Platinums - unlike the suite upgrade "promise" that seems to work at "some" properties but not others.

22. Rich
    • Original Member

Rich Silver Member

I stay frequently at the Sheraton LHR (first night in, last night there) and they always give free restaurant (buffet) breakfast on the weekends. It's a nice touch, especially on a room that only cost me £55 or so.

Without it, I would probably walk across the street and grab an Egg McMuffin. My money or someone else's, some eggs, coffee, toast, and juice is not worth £20 on a £55 room.

cockpitvisit likes this.
  23. Cuse44
    • Original Member

Cuse44 Silver Member

Agreed. The property I am currently staying at (and have been for the past two months) has been great with Suite Upgrades. I think I have been in every type of upgraded room they offer except the E-Wow Suite. The previous property I was staying it, it was like pulling teeth to get a suite when many were available for booking for a paid reservation.

I think the breakfast benefit would be so valuable on vacations with your Significant Other. If you don't get that suite upgrade, then what really are you getting for your stay above non-elites? Free Internet? 500 bonus points?

Chris H likes this.
  24. Leumas
    • Original Member

Leumas Milepoint Guide

Ideally, I'd like free breakfast across all brands and 7 days a week too. However, I can only imagine the margin/profits Starwood and the hotels will be losing...

As an idea - will we be happy if a full breakfast is offered as a Plat amenity option?

25. Wurm
    • Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Another argument in favor of breakfast credit for Plats is that it distinguishes the (official) top tier from the mid-tier. I think that Hyatt does an excellent job in this regard - they don't "punish" their mid-tier, they simply treat the middle people well and their top-tier people very well.