1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

A Polite Request for Adding Breakfast Benefit for Platinum Elites

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by From NYC, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Simon
    • Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

I am all in favour of this too. Bring on the free breakfast or lounges in all property. Either or works for me.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. singtx
    • Original Member

singtx Silver Member

Agree 100%. I have taken this option when presented with it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. 4Health
    • Original Member

4Health Silver Member

The problem is that hotels do no charge a reasonable price for breakfast. Most charge $20-25, which is absolutely ridiculous for breakfast. If they got real about the price and charged $8-10 for a buffet or continental breakfast I would quite content. But for breakfast the hotel really has a captive audience and they take you to the cleaners.

jbcarioca and DealHound like this.
  4. Leumas
    • Original Member

Leumas Milepoint Guide

Exactly, which is why I proposed breakfast as a Plat Amenity option instead. I'd imagine the marginal cost for one breakfast is minimal for the hotel, and yet we're charged a huge amount (while $20-25 is still expensive, some hotels in Aus, yes, SPG ones, charge ~$45). That just means breakfast is a good cash cow for the hotel. Without asking them to uniformly give up this cash cow, having it as a Plat Amenity can be a compromise?

Also, if you've an early departure, you may not even have time to have breakfast anyway.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Misplaced Texan
    • Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand it would be great to have a free breakfast available when I'm pressed for time or need to work on the wifi while eating in hotels without a lounge.

On the other hand, the times it would be the most valuable (when I'm on vacation and breakfast is out-of-pocket) are the times when I really ought to be checking out some local coffee shop or restaurant rather than eating at my hotel.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Simon
    • Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

The last thing you would want is for the benefits to be changed to disadvantage what we already have. I think offering free breakfast when there is no club lounge covers all bases and seems very standard in the industry now.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. From NYC
    • Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

A full breakfast vs. a continental one is not as important as offering continental vs. nothing. To me. If they give me a choice of breads or pastries, cold or hot cereal, juice and coffee, and I’m a happy camper. If, then, a particular hotel or 100 want to offer up a full breakfast as their way of doing things for free or at a discount, so much the better.

Let’s get something offered up first before pushing for a full breakfast for free.

I would not be in favor of making it an amenity choice, rather than a straight offer.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Phineas
    • Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

I'd be thrilled with the free pot of coffee each morning, Id call that even

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. SPG Champion
    • Original Member

SPG Champion Official Representative

Thanks for being polite. [​IMG]

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
    Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
    Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

guest.forum@starwoodhotels.com

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. From NYC
    • Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

I was just trying to go with the stated intentions for discourse of this new website. We'll see what happens now that the beta period is over.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Simon
    • Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

We discuss things here regarding free breakfast but I don't think anyone including our "SPG Champion" can action any of our suggestions or even table them for discussion or can he? If he cannot then any ideas how we could get this idea up the SPG food chain is a possible idea?

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. SPG Champion
    • Original Member

I pass along stuff like this all of the time to SPG corporate and they are aware of this particular wish. But, chalk it up to a missed opportunity that it did not get included as an original program benefit in 1999. SPG surveyed both Sheraton Club and Westin Premiere members to list their wishes at that time and breakfast did not even make the top ten.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Skye1
    • Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

I like the "concept" that Aloft shoots for, in giving its Plat guests a voucher for a free cuppa' "posh" coffee at its Re-Fuel, as I like the grab-&-go convenience. Brilliant if Aloft could add a "food item" to the voucher as well.

I "get it" that breakfast can be an expensive meal at a hotel, sometimes as expensive as a basic lunch. It does feel strange when I submit my expesne rep. for a conference showing breakfast as nearly as much or the same as what I'm spliiting lunch w/ colleagues for.

I can see how it would be difficult to "normalize" how to roll this out, what SPG Plats want (noting William's survey results that back then, "we" didn't have breakfast even on a top ten list. Some might want a sit-down in-lounge buffet. Some might want to grab the rental car keys off the coffee table, the coffee off the lobby table, & hit the ground running. Give everyone a bagel & cuppa', and they want a proper fry up. Give 'em eggs & bacon, and "all I want is a grab-& go."

Ah, the Holiday Inn Express buffet ambiance (qutoed upthread). I wasn't a huge fan, but I know I'm not the only one on this board who had the occasional craving for those awesome cinamon rolls....

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Simon
    • Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

That's a long time ago but I see what you mean. I guess it's hard for them to consider new arrangements that might potentially cost the business a lot more money. I did ask at my recent stay at Le Meridien Budapest why they didn't offer it free and they replied that they have been a Le Meridien before they became part of SPG therefore in their minds they didn't need to offer it as they never offered it before which seems like strange logic but I personally cannot part with 25 Euro for breakfast but I am sure there are some here that could especially if they are not paying for it.

It would seem if they want to keep the program competitive, adding free breakfast in lieu of not having a club breakfast would be keeping the program up in the same league of the competitors.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Bay Pisco Shark
    • Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

I must not have voted neither early nor often enough! [​IMG]

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. PedroNY
    • Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

I do have to say, I am surprised that SPG Plats do not have free breakfast. I recently shifted some of my stays to SPG from Hilton, and that is one of the few things I miss. As someone mentioned above, when we are on vacation and we stay at the Hilton it is nice to know that our breakfast is covered every day, for both of us. With SPG, it is awesome to have a likelihood of a suite upgrade (very unlikely with Hilton), but I am just surprised that even continental breakfast is not included.

I definitely do not want to turn this thread into SPG vs. HH, just my two cents as I been with Hilton for awhile and just recently became SPG Plat and started to visit more SPG hotels.

Dear William R. Sanders, if you could be so kind to bring this issue up, I think there is are a lot of SPG Plats who would love this addition.

Best,

PedroNY

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. SPG Champion
    • Original Member

As I said before, I have and I will continue to do so; however, that doesn't mean that it is going to happen. It hasn't yet, anyway.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. DealHound
    • Original Member

DealHound Silver Member

I just recently status matched from Hyatt Diamond to SPG Platinum, so I'm just becoming acquainted with the benefits. I was intrigued by the SPG suite upgrades (even though I really appreciate Hyatt letting me confirm 4 suite upgrades per year), but am surprised that they don't offer breakfast in properties without clubs. That has been a very valuable benefit at Hyatt.

19. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

There has been agitation for that for a long time but it has never happened. 2011 should be the year. Every day, option of lounge or general buffet would do it nicely. Many properties do that, but at SPG one never knows. I really became happy with the Hilton My Way approach, but breakfast is a must wherever it is.

20. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

It is really great to see SPG Champion here already. Now I know it will all be as it should be and the world will continue to turn. Thanks for being here![​IMG]

21. DeltaExpert
    • Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

What property is this?

Skyvillager likes this.
  22. Cuse44
    • Original Member

Cuse44 Silver Member

The good: W Dallas Victory
    The bad: Sheraton Fort Worth (Couldn't get club or suite when both were available for 4 consecutive weeks)

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. DHahn
    • Original Member

DHahn Silver Member

Since I use the points for family vacations, the free breakfast is a big factor for me. Unlike business stays, I have pay for the breakfast and it costs too much at resorts & oversees locations (where I redeem points). This is one of the big reasons, I prefer Hyatt's program. (I don't want to get into which program is better discussion but I'm just stating the benefits I prefer.)

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. 4Health
    • Original Member

4Health Silver Member

I'm completely with you on that. As of this year, I no longer have hotel elite status and almost all of my hotel nights this year (~30) will be on points. For almost all of those night (except for the Sheraton's in India because apparently they include breakfast with their rates), I will be leaving the hotel for breakfast because $20+ is too much money for breakfast no matter what it includes. I'd much rather get some true local cuisine, then pay $20+ for some overcooked eggs and bacon. If it was $8-10 for those eggs and bacon, I might consider it since I could get my day started earlier.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. DeltaExpert
    • Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

I think it would be great to get breakfast but at what price? I know a lot of SPG Platinum members WOULD NOT settle for 4 suite upgrades and free breakfast!

Would you take Free breakfast over Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades?

Skyvillager and jbcarioca like this.