A special Christmas present

Discussion in 'Off Topic/Social' started by Dovster, Dec 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    • Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

About 15 kilometers from my house is an Arab village where roughly 65% of the residents are Marionite Christians. A young friend (well, he is in his late 30's -- and to me that is young) is one of the Marionites and when I was in Prague recently I bought hand puppets as Christmas gifts for his two daughters, ages 5 and 2.

I gave the puppets to him several days ago and when he went home his daughters, not willing to wait until Dec 25, grabbed them and immediately started playing with them (although the older one had to instruct the younger on the fine art of putting her fingers inside the puppets' arms and heads).

Today, I saw the father again. He told me that he had been in the supermarket with the 5-year-old and she insisted on getting a Christmas gift for me. In fact, she picked it out. He seemed a bit embarrassed to give a coffee cup with a Santa Claus handle, filled with Christmas-wrapped chocolates, to a 66-year-old Jewish man but he had made a promise to his daughter.

Personally, I think it was fantastic that a child of that age would even think of giving a gift instead of just receiving them and not only was I very happy to get it, but (as soon as I finish the chocolates) the cup is going to go on permanent display in a cabinet I have in my living room which is full of (generally expensive) crystal pieces, Wedgewood, and other glassware and pottery I have picked up in my travels.
    epanta, mikeef, RKG and 7 others like this.
  2. Traveller
    • Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

very nice story Dovster! what a special friend he is and it sounds like he is teaching his daughters well!
  3. RKG
    • Original Member

RKG Silver Member

Great story, Dovster.

I have tried with my two older daughters to instill , with limited success, in them that it is better to give than receive.
    They are grown now. I now have a 5 year old that seems to understand this concept so much more that his sisters.

Thanks for sharing.

RKG

Traveller and Dovster like this.