AmEx Plat Hertz CDP, pay with Visa?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by mtkeller, Jul 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mtkeller
    • Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

I'm going to Australia in December and will be renting a car on a couple of occasions. So far, it's looking like Hertz with the AmEx Platinum CDP is giving me the best deals. (Tried a AAA CDP since there are lots of reports of it being cheaper, but it's not on the ones I tried.) The question I have is if there will be any issue if I pay for the rental (from reservation onward) with a Visa card but am using the AmEx CDP. AmEx's CDW doesn't cover rentals in Australia, while Visa does, hence the motivation. I'll have my AmEx Platinum on me if they want proof that I've got the card, but I don't want to have any hassles.
  2. pjoalfa
    • Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

I wouldn't want to swear to it, but IME once the code is in and you've been booked at whatever rate the code provides, you can pay any way you like. I've changed payment methods many, many times and never had issues with codes that are tied to Amex (or those tied to Visa, vice versa). You can even reserve it with the Amex if you want to be sure, then present your Visa at the rental counter and have it changed.
    mtkeller likes this.
  3. stan
    • Original Member

stan Silver Member

I even made resv. with one card--- gave another card when I picked up the car --gave a third card for the all the charges on return --- did this many times --no problem
    mtkeller likes this.
  4. mtkeller
    • Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Thanks. The Visa terms suggest you need to initiate the reservation with their card to claim against the insurance, but I'd be astounded if they even had a realistic mechanism to make that happen. Sounds like I should be OK if I can make the reservation while using the Visa but the AmEx CDP. I guess now that I'm reasonably confident that's a workable method, I can go hunting for CDPs that will give me an even better rate, which surely is not a topic for the AmEx forum.