An Introduction to AutoSlash.com

Discussion in 'AutoSlash' started by AutoSlash, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

I used them twice at SFO without issues.
    SC Flier likes this.
  2. AutoSlash

AutoSlash Z Representative

The current booking tool is pretty much done. A couple more of our partners decided we were saving people too much money on their rentals. You can still track the price of rentals booked on other sites, though. We'll get a website update out shortly that will make the "Track a rental you've booked elsewhere" function the primary one you see at AutoSlash.com.

Stay tuned for future news about our new products that will do an even better job at helping you save money on car rentals!
  3. Tivoboy
    • Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Yeah, this is what I got the other day for an SFO rental request. Not even payless was showing up. I THINK sadly, this business model is toast.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

I'd certainly be willing to pay you a portion of my savings if your site helps me save time and money (ie checks for lower prices). Not sure what the right compensation model would be if you have to switch to collecting fees from renters instead of rental agencies.
  5. Tivoboy
    • Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

And here is where it gets really interesting. I would certainly PAY MONEY on an annual basis (I'll say it first, SUBSCRIPTION) to have someone not only take the rental agency or booking site spiff, but to make sure there is ACTIVE PARTICIPATION in finding the discount or code that will lower the rate or make a better offer. As well as ACTIVE PARTICIPATION on checking the rate that I have booked and telling me when it falls. The amount of time I spend annually doing the same for myself is easily worth 50-100$ a year (if not more, since the overall savings that CAN be had even in one rental can easily add up to that)

There are many ways to skin a cat, percentage of rental savings BOOKED go into an annual fund to autoslash, or its like an annual bounty, where if AS hits the 3-4x target annually, only THEN do they get the 99$ a year fee. Lots of ways to go about it, but when one is talking about real savings, bookable savings then for the consumer the pay for performance valuation and impression changes dramatically.
    mtlfire likes this.
  6. Tivoboy
    • Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Just found out about this service. Sort of takes the responsibility away from the agency and puts it on the consumer, but that's fine. Not sure other than link referral what the business model will be, other than probably some subscription service in the future.

http://zalyn.com/
  7. Tivoboy
    • Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

So, here is a little update on how to make AUTOSLASH sort of work.

I've been using Zalyn now for a couple rentals and for the most part it IS a credible service. The discount that it shows have worked out for me and then CAN be substantial. For a recent rental in NYC (JFK pickup and DO) for a late july weekend best I could do with avis say was 350$ all in for a full size, not much cheaper for smaller. Who knew how stupid money cars were in NYC for a WEEKEND rental. I thought cars were pretty much FREE on the weekends, or at least that has been my experience in the past. anyway, try out Zalyn and they find me a deal with National, 250$ all in with taxes. I like how it spells out what the DEAL is, coupon, afinity, etc. I'm an AMEX card member, there was a free day stackable, 15% discount for some airline program, etc. When I go to book it, it's now only 227$, BIG savings overall.

So, I pop that rental reservation and dates and times in over at the now neutered AutoSlash and wait and see. Within about five hours AS says "good news!" we found your the same deal, same company, same dates for 202$ all in, just book here and cancel your other reservation.

Sort of easypeasy, but in the end it's working in a bit of a roundabout way
  8. dhammer53
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Just received my 2nd reduction in price at SJC.

You were originally booked at $74.24, and the price has now dropped to $30.71. We've automatically re-booked your rental at the lower rate. You've saved $43.53 without even lifting a finger!
    LauraPDX and AutoSlash like this.
  9. Tivoboy
    • Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Just a little warning here. I've been using the process of finding a deal with Zalyn (actually not relevant where the reservation information originates, all booking and reservations are done at the VENDOR). Then, one sends the confirmation ## to autoslash, and they track and try and find a better deal. THEN, they send you a link to take advantage of that better deal, which is at least in my experience always through "travelocity" as the booking agent. Then, one gets a confirmation from AUTOSLASH, with the rate and booking, etc..

I've always been able to verify the booking at the actual VENDOR site though, so I take say my Hertz Gold reservation of to Hertz and either LOGGED IN, or NOT, I can pull up the reservation and confirmation and the RATE and BOOKING All foots with the confirmation received from autoslash.

So, I had booked a rate at 384.xx (this rate STARTED at 700$ plus, so THAT's good)..with Hertz. Got confirmation and everything about a month ago.

But, about three days ago I checked on the Hertz Website, and it shows now 986.44$. WTW? When one calls now to check on it, there really isn't any AUTOSLASH to contact, one gets a travelocity call center in what appears to be India. I'm not making and commentary here, just that in the three times I have called I get an Indian representative.

They aren't really able to help. They tried calling hertz, but there was "no answer" WHAT, HERTZ isn't picking up?

then, they try and appease me and say "your rental is still guaranteed, for 384.66$" But, what concerns me is is ANYBODY guaranteeing this? I mean, I'm pretty darn concerned at this point that when I go to return the car the bill will be 986.44$!!!! and Hertz will simply say, well you need to contact the agency who booked your reservation, etc. etc., which WON'T lead me to Autoslash anymore and MIGHT get you to travelocity, wherever that is and they might just end up saying "well, it SHOULD be 384.66$ sir, but we can't help you"

So, at this point all I have to say is buyer beware.
    Mapsmith likes this.
  10. AutoSlash

AutoSlash Z Representative

The best way to contact us is by the email form published on our website (http://www.autoslash.com/help) or by email (support@autoslash.com).

It's true that we use Travelocity (or rather, Travelocity's white-label Partner Network program) to handle the back end of our bookings (for now). The email confirmations that the system generates are a fixed template that we have no control over. They do include a phone number to Travelocity's support center, which, as you've already learned, is pretty much worthless.

That said, Travelocity's support was correct when they said that the price quoted on your reservation was guaranteed, regardless of what Hertz's website says. If Hertz won't honor it, then Travelocity will go to Hertz on your behalf to make up the difference, since Travelocity has a signed contract with Hertz that means that the price Hertz's system provides back to Travelocity during the reservation process (which is the TotalPrice that you see when booking with us) is binding.

In any case, if you can email your AutoSlash Trip ID to us, we'll be happy to take a look at your reservation and see what's going on. Don't bother dealing with Travelocity's support folks--trust us, if we could get that number removed from the reservation confirmation emails, we would, since it only leads to confusion!
  11. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

We have used them for our trip to Maui over Christmas this year and they found us car rental rates half of what any other site could find for us. Quite pleased. Have also used them a few times over the past year in Europe and they rebooked us for lower rates. Wish more car companies allowed them in.:)
    Mapsmith, Kalboz and miles and smiles like this.
  12. bobolo

bobolo Member

I used Payless in Orlando several years back and experienced no difference than any other rental car company.
    Mapsmith and Kalboz like this.
  13. Mapsmith
    • Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Just made my second reservation with AutoSlash. On the first it was an emergency trip to TPA. They got me a great deal at EZ. Then the price dropped twice before the rental. Still no problem (second occurred while in the air).

This one was again for TPA. I was surprised that only Sixt and Payless showed up. But the price was amazing. Less than ten minutes later AutoSlash sent me an email saying that they saved me about another 20% and wanting to change to Avis. Okay. No shuttle to offsite rental facility, bigger name, (possibly) newer cars. What is not to love.

Still haven't figured out how AutoSlash makes money finding all these deals for folks. But keep it up.
    LauraPDX likes this.
  14. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

They're still monitoring an upcoming trip for me, sent me two "there's a lower price" emails and have super fast customer service when I contacted them. LOVE Autoslash! Saved me $40 so far on a OW drive and there's still time to save more!
    Mapsmith likes this.
  15. dhammer53
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

FLL $248 >>> $185. This is the third reduction I've received, and I still have time. :cool:
  16. dhammer53
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Wo! Just received an update. Down to $151.98.
  17. dhammer53
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

My rate is in a free-fall. In the past week, my rate tumbled down to $131.
    Just a few minutes ago, I received a new e mail with a rate of $106.84 for an Avis rental. This is a 6 day rental. :cool:
    Kalboz and afakhori like this.
  18. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Did it drop any farther? what did it start out at? Awesome rate btw!
    Kalboz likes this.
  19. dhammer53
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Started at $248. As of today, looks like I'm stuck with the rate I have. ;)
    Kalboz and afakhori like this.
  20. dhammer53
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

My LAS rental keeps going down. Started at $78 for 2 days. After several e mails, it's now down to $50.
    Kalboz likes this.
  21. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

I have a 9 day rental at SNA starting 5/22. When I started my search autoslash couldn't find me anything. So, I used carrentalsavers and kept searching on my own. My price dropped from $324 to $187. I also asked autoslash to track my booking, but never heard from them until tonight. So, after six weeks of total silence, autoslash got me in at $134. :)
    Thank you autoslash!
  22. dhammer53
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

My SFO booking dropped about 15% since I made my res a couple of days ago. The best part, it's with a major rental company located at the car rental counter. :cool:
    That beats Payless, who will meet you and then shuttle you to their location.

My LAS rental dropped a mere 5% :(, but I expect that to change. :D
    AutoSlash likes this.
  23. lili
    • Original Member

lili Gold Member

It's amazing! Haven't reported here, but have saved a lot on my last few rentals.Too lazy to look up the details, but have reported on FaceBook. It works well, very well. Have a 5 day rental in France, AS got it dowb to $229 USD which is half of what I started with.
    AutoSlash likes this.
  24. lili
    • Original Member

lili Gold Member

Okay, I do have a detail from last week. AutoSlash got me 2 days in Charleston SC for $63 with Dollar. When I asked the not busy Budget desk how to get to Dollar, they offered to beat the price. Click, click, click. Came up with $137. Grimaced, told me to go inside use courtesy phone for shuttle to Dollar :) Dollar was perfectly fine, nice car, nice people, and very nice rate.
  25. dhammer53
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

And so it has. :cool:

You were originally booked at $154.57, and the price has now dropped to $121.72. We've automatically re-booked your rental at the lower rate. You've saved $32.85 without even lifting a finger!
    LauraPDX, afakhori and AutoSlash like this.