1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Anniversary Bonus for USAirways MC?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by LAM, Nov 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

The post about keeping the Chase SP got me thinking about which cards I will keep after the first year. Is there an anniversary bonus for the US Airways MC? I looked at the website and I did not see anything.

tondoleo likes this.
  2. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Yes: 10,000 each anniversary. That's what my US Air MC said. I got the 40,000 dividend miles after first purchase version in September.

http://www.mostmiles.com/Chairmans

tondoleo likes this.
  3. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

I am a week or so from my first anniversary, so I'm waiting to see if my 10,000 miles posts soon. I'll check back in after my first anniversary.

wrxmom and tondoleo like this.
  4. tondoleo
    • Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Happy Anniversary m&s. Don't do anything to get arrested.:)

wrxmom and miles and smiles like this.
  5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

The paper anniversary! I divorced my card the day before but got to keep the gift that was already posted :)

Might remarry in a couple months ;)

Mikus33, wrxmom and miles and smiles like this.
  6. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

Oh drat, I thought it was my plastic anniversary. :D

wrxmom and daemon14 like this.
  7. Ed Chandler
    • Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Yep, keeping the US MC is a no-brainer.

Would others enjoy more "Doing the 2nd Year Math" threads?

8. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Yes!

When I originally applied for this card 3 months ago I was planning on opening a 2nd card without canceling the first. However, I have seen on here that there are reports of people having more and more trouble getting a 2nd card because "they already have the card." Obviously this is a case of YMMV, however, I too have been wondering if it is worth it to just keep the card open and year after year get the anniversary bonus, or to cancel(divorce) the card after the 1st anniversary and re-apply a couple of months later. I guess then you run the risk of being rejected because you already had the card in the past. Maybe reapply after 6 months instead of 3?

miles and smiles likes this.
  9. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

I had mentioned in another thread that I (thought) had applied for the wrong card because I didn't see the 10K anniversary bonus in the letter. However, today, I noticed a 10K bonus listed as a 50% everyday purchase bonus. My anniversary date is next month...obviously, I am not going to complain, but it does concern me a bit that Barclay's cant' seem to get their programs straight. :confused: I'll let you know if I have a claw back or some other correspondence from them after the anniversary fee comes.

10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

They won't. You can cancel and you should be able to keep the miles.

I cancelled a month ago ... trying to figure out how long until I can get another one. Am I out of the system yet? :)

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  11. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

My statement closed on the 16th and 10,000 miles are in my account this morning. thumbs-up.gif

12. gleff
    • Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Exact same experience, miles came a month before expected here too.

13. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

My account was activated on Nov. 14, 2011. My 10K miles were received on Nov. 18, 2012. So, in my case, they were right on. My annual fee hasn't shown up on my account yet, but I expect that it will soon.

tondoleo likes this.
  14. tondoleo
    • Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Will you be keeping this card? Or, closing it and applying for another to gain another bonus?

15. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

I plan to keep it. The benefits include:
    Bonus Anniversary Miles - 10,000 each subsequent account opening anniversary

The Primary Cardmember will receive a five thousand (5,000) mile discount off of each eligible Award Ticket

and more

I've scarcely used the card, and I have no desire to test Barclay's willingness to give me more miles for nothing. I am grateful for what I have received already from them.

servo46250 and LETTERBOY like this.
  16. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

I'm not sure where I read it... but I've heard that US Airways wants you to put spend on the card at least every 6 months to keep it active? I have a reminder in my calendar every 3 months to put some spend on it (I'd rather be safe than sorry) and all I do is use it for a $5 purchase and that's it. I have been successful at getting my wife and myself as well as both my parents 2nd cards about 6 months after we opened our first card. My wife was also offered the 15K bonus miles for spending $1,250 for 3 consecutive months... so US Airways has definitely been nice to us. I hope others have similar luck.

The REAL question is... what are the odds of getting a 3rd card?!?!?! :D

17. Ed Chandler
    • Original Member

Yes, the Ts&Cs say one transaction per 6 months. I have no idea if they enforce it or not, but I can always buy a $1 Amazon eGift card for myself.

18. Ed Chandler
    • Original Member

Wait, wait, wait ...

I'm not questioning anyone's anecdotal evidence of getting the 10k annual bonus, but I just read this MMS post http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/08/30/us-air-mastercard/ and although the post is over a year old the recent comments and edits to the post say that US is discontinuing the 10k annual bonus. One guy says he got a letter.

Although I can find no mention of the 10k/year bonus on the current US Air MC application page, I can also find no other mention of the benefit's removal other than that one MMS post. (And I have not received any such communication directly.) If true, this completely changes the value proposition of the card.

Can anyone post a scan of the letter mentioned or point us to something on the US or Barclay site that will answer this definitively?

19. servo

servo Silver Member

[raises hand]

Yes please. I enjoyed the post and discussion about the CSP, and would enjoy future discussions and posts as well.

20. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

see link in post # 2 which promises 10,000 miles on the anniversary, which I and many others have received.

21. Ed Chandler
    • Original Member

Thank you. I'm not questioning that the offer was there when we applied, and an orphan landing page wouldn't be a first, but if they sent you that link recently that's good enough for me.

22. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

As far as i know the link in post # 2 is the same as been available since last year or maybe longer.

merice107 likes this.
  23. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Just received a letter stating my year is up with the USA MC from Barclay's. It says nothing about a 10k anniversary gift in the letter. I have not received any email stating this either. Now, the interesting thing in this letter is, "As long as you make one purchase a month with your card, your miles will never expire.".

Anyone care to comment? Please.

24. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

I got the same letter a few weeks before my 10,000 miles posted. If you applied via the link in post #2, you will get the miles around your anniversary. I went 6 months without using my card earlier this year.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  25. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

I believe I applied via one of the apps from the attendants (prior to my finding MP) so I guess if I don't get the 10k I can call and whine. ;)