Apple's Biggest Mobile Challenger Is... HTC?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by uggboy, Oct 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

• Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Apple's Biggest Mobile Challenger Is... HTC?;)

When Millennial Media, a data company that tracks ad impressions on phones and tablets, released its third quarter findings, it was no surprise that Apple's iPhone was tops among devices. What may have caused a few double takes, however, was Apple's chief competitor: HTC.

Technically, the number two spot goes to Samsung, whose devices accounted for 16.5 percent of ad impressions in the last quarter to Apple's 23.1 percent. However, HTC was an extremely close third at 15.5 percent. More important, HTC had a whopping six devices among the top 20 phones responsible for the most Web traffic worldwide, which implies a good chunk of that Samsung traffic is from legacy stuff like feature phones.

MORE!>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395273,00.asp#fbid=_I0t5-Qh7gO
    JohnDeere19, rwoman, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
    • Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Found this interesting. Should be some interesting times ahead.

[From my milePoint enabled iPhone]
    • Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

My sister loves her HTC phone - particularly because it has a small keyboard vice using only the touchscreen.
    uggboy and JohnDeere19 like this.
    • Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

I just find most too big.

[From my milePoint enabled iPhone]
    uggboy, JohnDeere19 and rwoman like this.
    • Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

That's part of why I'm leaning towards the iPhone. :)
    uggboy, JohnDeere19 and ACMM like this.
    • Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

I called...they had the 4S in stock, so I'll pick it up after work! :D
    uggboy, JohnDeere19 and ACMM like this.
  1. dmel Gold Member

Not sure who "they" is, but I'll just mention this for others looking for a 4S:

I called a few places (VZW store, Walmart, Best Buy) and no one had it in stock. So I decided to order it online from Apple (thru aadvantageeshopping). As I was about to check out, it showed a link to check local stores. The two closest had no inventory, but the third had my carrier/color/model in stock and I was able to reserve it for pickup the next day. Go to apple.com/retail/iphone. It's only available after 9pm I believe. I'm not sure what happens if you call an apple store... Maybe they are able to reserve for you (like this), maybe not.

Anyway, worked nicely for me. I lost out on ~200 AA miles, but got the phone approx 2 weeks sooner!

Of course it helps that my boss was traveling that day so I could make the run to the store :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint
    • Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

I live in the UK...makes life a little easier in this instance. :)
    uggboy, JohnDeere19 and dmel like this.
    • Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Ive never owned a HTC device.... some folks I know that have tell me that the phones are nice, great specs, but that build quality on the devices tends to be just OK. It you use your devices hard, you tend to need to get a new one after about 1 year.... that doesnt seem to happen with phones from Apple and Nokia.
    • Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

What do your friends think of the form factor? Size ?

uggboy, JohnDeere19 and Gaucho like this.
    • Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Not an issue... they like larger devices.... and also, HTC makes different sized screens so you can actually go somewhat smaller if this is an issue for you....
    • Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Not surprised about the movement of HTC. I have the Inspire 4g and love this phone!
    uggboy likes this.
    • Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

I had an HTC G1 (first Android phone) the day it came out, and I currently have the G2. The build quality is spectacular, and the phone is all around awesome. I like that it has a hardware keyboard, and the screen quality is pretty impressive too. It's just the right form factor for me, and it's capable of taking a beating, which is pretty nice.

HTC makes quality products, and it doesn't surprise me that they're right behind AAPL.
    uggboy and garyst16 like this.