1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

[Apr 29, 2011] STS-134 Space Shuttle Endeavour Launch (Cape Canaveral, Florida)

Discussion in 'Meetups' started by MadameConcorde, Mar 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

STS-134 Space Shuttle Endeavour Launch
Start Date: Apr 29, 2011 09:00 AM
End Date: Apr 29, 2011 10:00 AM
Time Zone: America/New_York -04:00 EDT

Kennedy Space Center
Cape Canaveral, Florida

Posted By: MadameConcorde

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":

The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. MadameConcorde
    • Original Member

MadameConcorde Silver Member

Event:
    STS-134 Space Shuttle Endeavour Launch
    From Kennedy Space Center
    April 19th At 7:48 pm EDT

This will be Shuttle Endeavour's last flight!
    Launch window till May 2nd

There will only be one more Space Shuttle launch in June

after which all the Shuttles will be retired from flight and dispatched to their respective museums.

Anyone here making the trip to see the launch
    from the causeway or KSC?

Remember... this is the one before last Space Shuttle Launch.
    Don't miss out on such a fabulous event!

[​IMG]

Dorlee and infoworks like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

I have a Causeway ticket. Watched STS-131 (Discovery night launch) last year. Was absolutely spectacular.

3. MadameConcorde
    • Original Member

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Do you have tickets?

The lottery for STS-134 was last week and I didn't get one, but I managed to snag a causeway ticket via one of the tour companies offering them together with bus transportation from Orlando. That's how I got to the causeway last time, and it worked fine.

5. MadameConcorde
    • Original Member

You will be fine then. You are all set.

The bug here is I am in Europe. I listed my email for launch tickets with Florida Dolphin Tours and another tour company but they never contacted me.
    The same with tickets via the KSC site. No luck there either. The only thing left is ebay but I find prices are really high if not outrageous and none of them offer transport.
    Then have to think accomodation and flights. All hotels around Orlando airport must be fully booked around that time I am sure.

How will I do this?

There is still STS-135 with Atlantis (my most favourite ship) in June but chances for launch scrubs are much much higher with the thunderstorms around that time of the year plus there will be a gazillion people as it will be the last Shuttle launch in History.

:confused:

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Gator Tours still has KSC launch tickets. You are farther away than when viewing from the causeway, and you won't have a view of the shuttle on the launchpad (though they do have a jumbotron set up that shows NASA TV).

https://rezweb.com/gator/Detail.aspx?agcid=103&Tour_id=56

Alternatively you can watch it for free from Titusvile... Even farther away, but clear view of the launchpad.

Hotels in Orlando shouldn't be a problem.

Book now :)

MadameConcorde likes this.
  7. MadameConcorde
    • Original Member

Thanks a lot!
    I am now booked with them to view the launch at KSC.
    This will be good as they provide transport.
    I hope for good weather with no launch scrubs!

:)

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Cool. I'll probably add a few buffer days before flying back to CA to be able to deal with launch delays.

9. MadameConcorde
    • Original Member

I now have my air ticket and the KSC ticket. Transatlantic tickets are far from cheap.
    Will bid on Priceline for hotel room.

Have allowed myself extra days in case of launch scrubs.
    Launch windows are short. Only about10 minutes each day.

Anyone else going to see the launch?

10. AKGUY
    • Original Member

AKGUY Silver Member

I can't make it but would love to get one of the crew list golf shirts they sell in the gift shop. I wonder if they sell them online.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Got an email today from Dolphin Tours (my tour operator/ticket provider) saying that KSC unexpectedly provided additional causeway tickets. Dolphin is first offering them to KSC ticket holders as an upgrade. I wonder if Gator Tours is doing something similar. Might be worth checking into on their FB page or via email.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Have a look at this page showing what they sell for STS-133 at the moment:

http://www.thespaceshop.com/stspshdicors1.html

For STS-134 they only have the mission patch and pin at the moment, but I am sure more will show up on the page:

http://www.thespaceshop.com/sts134mission.html

13. infoworks
    • Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

It looks like it will be busy!

14. techguru
    • Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Sad to see the orbiters go...Phil

15. MadameConcorde
    • Original Member

Bummer for those of us travelling a long way to attend the launch.

Here's the latest official news:

NASA Retargets Space Shuttle Endeavour's Launch for April 29
    Mon, 04 Apr 2011 09:08:41 AM CDT

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

Following discussions among the International Space Station partners on Sunday, NASA has targeted the launch of space shuttle Endeavour's STS-134 mission for 3:47 p.m. EDT on Friday, April 29. The delay removes a scheduling conflict with a Russian Progress supply vehicle scheduled to launch April 27 and arrive at the station April 29.

NASA managers will hold a Flight Readiness Review on Tuesday, April 19, to assess the team's readiness to support launch.

An official launch date will be selected at the conclusion of the meeting.

Only minor damage to space shuttle Endeavour's external fuel tank foam was identified during detailed inspections Saturday by technicians and engineers on Launch Pad 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Evaluations indicate there was no damage to the spacecraft.

Teams were assessing any possible damage from severe storms that hit Kennedy on Wednesday and Thursday. ‪

Today, workers at the pad will continue closeouts in Endeavour's aft section and will load hydrazine into the shuttle's hydraulic power unit.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Rats... I just heard it as well. Now have to figure out what to do with my non-refundable flight and car rental. Maybe five days of sightseeing/beach vacation.

And on top of that, just realized that the 29th puts the new date right smack in the middle of another trip. Oh boy, couldn't have been worse timing.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

On the bright side, for the masses here who were excited about this launch and couldn't get tickets this means that there will be plenty of tickets on eBay or Facebook available from folks who bought them from Gator or Dolphin Tours and now can't make it to Florida for the new date.

MadameConcorde, does the MP software allow you to move the meet-up to a new date, or will this thread forever be stuck on April 19th?

18. MadameConcorde
    • Original Member

I moved up the date. MP is a great forum!

I will phone the tour company and see if I can swap to Causeway with the date change. I would say beware of ebay sellers and their over inflated ticket prices.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

My tickets just arrived via registered mail. Time to book new flights.

MadameConcorde likes this.
  20. MadameConcorde
    • Original Member

I also received my ticket and transport + pick up place today via EMS.

I would not mind it if I could find a VIP Causeway ticket with transport. I would then put the KSCVC ticket and transport on ebay and sell it at cost price. I suppose they are transferable.

I am looking. :)

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

If you haven't already, check out he discussions page on Dolphin Tours' Faebook site. Lots of buying and selling after the reschedule.

22. MadameConcorde
    • Original Member

I am looking. Thank you.
    isn't it a risk though? How to change the passenger's name, etc.?

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

On their homepage, Dolphin Tours state:

" Should you give or sell your tickets to someone else, you just have to call our office and make the name change. It is your responsibility to forward all relevant tickets etc. to the new party"

24. MadameConcorde
    • Original Member

Thank you. I contacted all on Dolphin Tours FB page who were selling tickets. They had them all sold already. They go really fast. At least I am not without a ticket.
    The launch will be postponed again if the US Government shuts down, which seems likely.

25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

Maybe. They just "gained" 10 days (roughly) of buffer due to the change from April 19 to April 29. The NASASpaceFlight.com forum discusses this in more detail; I believe you're following that thread already :)

In any case, I am holding off changing my unrelated trip booked for the week of April 29 and booking a new flight to Florida (would likely be an award ticket this time) until the weekend to see where the budget negotiations are going.