1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Arlington to BWI

Discussion in 'BWI/DCA/IAD | Washington D.C. Area Airports' started by FrequentMiler, Sep 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

I'll be in Arlington at the end of this week and will be returning home via BWI. Does anyone know a good way to get from Arlington (Westin hotel) to BWI? I've heard that a taxi would be very expensive. Super Shuttle is about $45 (after 10% discount), but the only options for pickup times given by the web site are at least 4 hours prior to my flight. It looks like I could rent a car for about $22 and drop off at the airport, but I'm not sure I want the hassle of driving through the city. Any other suggestions?

nime01 and miles and smiles like this.
  2. mht_flyer
    • Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

You can take metro to union station and AMTRAK to BWI airport stop (20 minute ride on AMTRAK), as long as you don't get on a Accela train, the NE Regionals don't cost that much from WAS to BWI

Once you get to BWI Train station, take a shuttle bus to the terminals.

You can buy the tix in advance at Amtrak.com or at the station ticket counter or kiosk.

I've done this a number of times and never had any issues.

3. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

From the Westin Gateway Arlington, it's only a several block walk to the Ballston Metro station. From there, you can take the Metro to a stop near BWI, where there is a scheduled shuttle bus at infrequent intervals.

I've done taxi and it was expensive but not extraordinarily so. I would take a taxi before SuperShuttle at the price and conditions you found. Can you perhaps take the Metro to DCA and then a nonstop shuttle bus/van to BWI?

Sometimes car (sedan) service is cheaper than a taxi; it avoids the uncertainty of bad traffic leading to a larger than expected taxi fare. However, sometimes car service arranged by a hotel is more expensive than necessary, although you can sometimes bargain with any sedans hanging around the hotel and at least that company is known to the hotel.

I would start by asking the hotel concierge now, in advance of your stay, to tell you about options for transportation to BWI and then do your own research.

4. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Metro from Ballston --> transfer Orange to Green --> Greenbelt station ---> bus costs $11.25, takes 90 minutes if you time it perfectly.

My old nemeses, www.wmata.com

If you drive, you'll slip through the District only briefly (through Anacostia), taking 395 to 295 (the Baltimore-Washington Parkway). Good luck with the traffic; it's a roll of the dice.

5. FrequentMiler

Thanks everyone for the advice! I was able to book Amtrak for only $12.64!

-Frequent Miler (follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/FrequentMiler)

6. DCA Rob

DCA Rob Silver Member

Don't forget to register for double Amtrak Guest Rewards:

Fall Double Points

Take home double points this fall
    Make fall twice as nice. With the Double Take promotion from Amtrak Guest Rewards® you'll earn double points the next time you head out to see the seasonal colors. Plus, you'll keep earning through November 23, 2011. All qualifying travel from the start of the promotion will earn double points. That means your points will add up faster to bring you closer to free Amtrak® travel.
    Take it all in, and take home double points.
    Terms & Conditions

Must be an Amtrak Guest Rewards member and register for this offer online or by calling 1-800-307-5000 to participate. Earn double points on qualifying travel from September 7, 2011 12:00:00am CT through November 23, 2011 11:59:59 CT. Canceled or refunded reservations/tickets will be deemed ineligible. Members must include their membership number when making reservations for travel to qualify. Once registered, all qualifying travel during the promotion period will be awarded bonus points. Other terms and conditions may apply.

mht_flyer likes this.
  7. tom911
    • Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Do the MARC trains still run from Union Station to BWI Mon-Fri?

8. violist
    • Original Member

violist Gold Member

9. tom911
    • Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

At $6 one way (was $5 last I took it), looks like an attractive option still.

10. mowogo
    • Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

MARC is a much more reasonable option than Amtrak. I have done both, but the cost difference between the two is too great to even consider chasing points/miles on (when I did it about 2 years ago it was $6 for MARC vs. $22 for Amtrak)

11. FrequentMiler

I just took the Amtrak on Saturday for less than $13. I would have tried MARC but was told it doesn't run on the weekend. Overall I was very impressed with how quick and easy (and reasonably priced) it was!

-Frequent Miler (follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/FrequentMiler)

nime01 and miles and smiles like this.