Award Wallet forced to stop accessing United.

Discussion in 'AwardWallet' started by boondr, Dec 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. boondr Gold Member

• Original Member

rajuabju Silver Member

Very unfortunate.
  2. youpaiyou Silver Member

Wow, this is very bad. Another sign of things to come?
    • Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

More like a sign of things already happened. The four largest US carriers all now have decided that customers do not deserve the ability to track their accounts via 3rd party sites unless the airlines are paid for such access. A shame, really.
    • Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Not a big whoop, or even a little whoop, as far as Jett Rink is concerned
    Slow_Mustang likes this.
  3. sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

It's pretty ridiculous that I can access all of my financial data via a third-party site, but I can't access my frequent flier miles via the same mechanism.
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Does that 3rd party site have an agreement with your financial institution? Does it use agreed-upon APIs or scrape the banks' screen?
    eponymous_coward likes this.
  4. edekba Gold Member

API I believe.
    • Original Member

That's certainly how Quicken does it. There are even standards around it (I worked on something related many years ago).
    eponymous_coward and edekba like this.
    • Original Member

Steven Schwartz Silver Member

I may not be surprised but I am disgusted. Where does it end with these guys? The poster above who said the banks have no problem letting 3rd parties read ALL of our financial info hit it right on the head.
  5. edekba Gold Member

Maybe ... just maybe

Banks do not view our financial data (balance, etc) as financially valuable or marketable goods. In fact there are probably financial privacy issues at stake ...

Airlines on the other hand have already acknowledged that their FF programs is in fact a valuable/profitable business unit. Therefore any & all data from that program is theirs to control.
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. iterfacio12 Silver Member

Such a shame. I'm aggravated with these decisions. So very selfish of them.
    • Original Member

I don't buy it Ed. I think most of us would agree that if people found out how many miles we had, it would not be the end of the day. Might even make us proud. But I imagine no one wants their financial details/secrets compromised yet the holders of our information will allow access to those we authorize.

You're right - it's their ball and they can do whatever they want with it. But this is nothing more than a giant corporation trying to shake down a small company for, relatively, a few pennies. Loyalty program? Does a decision like this make any of us feel more "loyal"?
    • Original Member

Is this going to make you less "loyal"?
    • Original Member

And if so to whom would you switch your loyalty? DL, AA and WN already have the same policy.
    • Original Member

Yeah - you're right. It just confirms that I'll continue being a mile whore and sleep with whoever gives me the best deal of the moment! You know, I guess I can occasionally kid myself that the airlines are quietly happy to have people like us who tell the world that miles can be great and can work. Maybe it helps them to sell those miles to us, to credit card companies, etc.

Sorry all, in a down mood. It seems that things are going away at a faster and faster rate. Article after article talking about the end of these programs as we know it and sorry, I didn't get into this to fly economy to Australia! Also a bad cold. I'll be better tomorrow!
    boondr and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
    • Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

We should all think like Jett Rink........
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
    • Original Member

My United mileage numbers on back on Award Wallet. Anyone heard any news?
  7. bobolo Member

8. boondr Gold Member

No refresh button though, I think it is just saved data.
    • Original Member

I changed my United email address as Award Wallet suggested. On the United website, I cannot find a link that will email me (AwardWallet) my latest mileage balance. Is it there somewhere and since it is the only way to somewhat automatically update the balances, how can I do this?
    • Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

On your email subscription page in your account, you can add a new email address and there is a selection for your monthly MileagePlus statement.
    • Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Award Wallet doesn't seem to be very good. When I signed up 3 months ago it excluded several of my airline FF accounts. If I recall it is no longer doing doing AA. Now UA.

It doesn't seem that good of a product. I rarely check my accounts: BA, UA, Marriott, Delta.
    • Original Member

I am not using AW, but I don't understand how you come to the conclusion that AW isn't a good product considering the topic of this thread !?
    • Original Member

Also Southwest and Delta. Because those carriers want AwardWallet and others to pay them to license the data.
    edekba likes this.