1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Bangkok Temples & Palaces

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by Kalboz, Sep 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Wat Traimit
    Housed safely in this unassuming Chinatown temple is the world's largest solid gold Buddha. Weighting 5 1/2 tons and standing over three metres high, its worth has been estimated at over USD 10 million.
    Address: 66 Hua Lamphong, Charoen Krung Road, Bangkok,
    Phone: +66 2 623 1226
    Hours: Daily from 08:00 AM to 05:00 PM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Wat Mangkon Kamalawat (Wat Leng Noei Yi)
    Built in the 1870s as a Mahayana Buddhist temple in southern Chinese style, Wat Mangkon Kamalawat will come as a surprise compared to other Thai temples. Enter down a passageway from Chareon Krung Road and into a large courtyard. There, you'll find a shrine and a furnace for burning offerings. The temple buildings are made of wood and brick, with terracotta roof tiles and carved dragons creeping along the tops. Inside are altars to Buddha and Taoist deities. It is always busy with people making offerings and looking for good luck, and redolent with the smell and smoke of joss sticks.
    Address: Chareon Krung Road Bangkok, 10100
    Hours: Daily from 09:00 AM to 06:00 PM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Wat Intharawihan​
    This temple holds the famous Luangpor Toh-the Buddha image standing on a lotus-petal base, with an alms bowl in his hands, blessing all beings. The statue stands 32 meters in height and 11 meters in width. The striking gold-colored image was built in 1867, during the reign of King Rama IV of the Chakri Dynasty of Bangkok. Other attractions in Wat Intrarawihan, the commoner's temple, include a meditation building, the Hall of Buddha images, the Hall of the 12-year cycle guardian angel, and the Ubosatha Hall, which houses a museum of ancient Buddha images, antiques and porcelain.
    Address: 114 Wisutkasat Road, Bangkok
    Phone: +66 2 628 5550
    Hours: Daily from 08:30 AM to 08:00 PM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Ah, someone else who seems to share my fascination for Temples, Shrines, Palaces & Buddhas! The last one I saw (twice because it's so great) and one of the truly awesome structures that exist is "Todaiji" in Nara, Japan (next to Kyoto). It is the largest purely wooden structure in the world that is the home of the largest Buddha statue in the world.

Todaiji-Nara-08.jpg

I will be in BKK in January, so thanks for whetting my appetite!

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  5. estnet
    • Original Member

estnet Gold Member

So the golden Buddha isn't in the Chinese temple next to the hospital on the way from the ROS to Chinatown? I'll have to find this!

6. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

No, it is housed in a newly-built temple (2010) near Chinatown's Odean Gate
    [​IMG]

uggboy and estnet like this.
  7. estnet
    • Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Wow - from a distance it looks beautiful, but up close I think it would give me nightmares for days!

8. estnet
    • Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Now I think I saw it from across the street and didn't realize I could go inside. Would I have seen it on the right side walking from the ROS to chinatown just around the Gate?

9. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

You are so strong ... that's a long walk!

uggboy likes this.
  10. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

The temple is short walk away from the Hualampong MRT station:
    [​IMG]

uggboy, estnet and Federicoita like this.
  11. estnet
    • Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Okay that's the one I saw- next time I'll cross the road and investigate. Thanks

12. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

My good friend Cindy @worldtraveller2 just visited Thailand and has an extensive look at Temple of Dawn (Wat Arun) in Bangkok with some great photos: http://www.pointsandtravel.com/temple-dawn-bangkok-thailand/
    [​IMG]

uggboy, worldtraveller2 and anileze like this.
  13. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Beautiful temples... but I have to admit that the reaching arms are a bit creepy.

14. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Modeled after Dante's Inferno!

uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

As it turns out, I just arrived in BKK yesterday, after 5 days in Bali, and it all feels like the Purgatory!;)

16. worldtraveller2
    • Original Member

worldtraveller2 Silver Member

Kalboz, thank you so much for mentioning my post regarding the Temple of Dawn. You are my inspiration for going to Thailand and I am very grateful for that!

17. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Wat Pathum Wanaram
    On a suggestion by @estnet I visited during a walk between the two giant shopping malls, Siam Paragon and CentralWorld. Located across the street of Siam Square, it was founded in 1857 by King Mongkut (Rama IV) as a place of worship near his Sa Pathum Palace. At the time of its founding the area was still only rice fields, only accessible via the Klong Sansaeb. The temple is a third class royal temple of the Thammayut Nikaya order. The full name of the temple is Wat Pathum Wanaram Ratcha Wora Viharn.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    uggboy likes this.
  18. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Another visit to Wat Intharawihan in Bangkok that did yield some good photos that I'd like to share.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Located between Cha-Am and Hua Hin, Maruekhathaiyawan Palace was built by King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) as a seaside summer retreat in 1923. This beautiful Palace is built entirely from teak wood. Its very attractive architectural style is completely different from that of other Thai Palaces. Beautiful grounds and great location right on the coast of the Gulf of Thailand.

The Palace is open for visitors every day except Wednesday from 8 am until 4 pm, Saturday and Sunday until 5 pm. Admission fee to the grounds is THB 60 per person. Limited number of people is allowed in the actual palace and admission is on a first-come basis, so, get there early! Shoes are not allowed if you go inside the upstairs area of the Palace. You can put your shoes in a cloth bag that is provided at the stairs and carry them until you exit the upper floor of the Palace. Taking photos upstairs inside the Palace is also not allowed. Appropriate modest dress is required which means no short pants or short skirts, no sleeveless shirts. Sarong like clothing is available that you can return on exiting the Palace. Bicycles are for hire to explore the area and the surrounding mangrove nature trail.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    estnet likes this.