1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa $99 companion ticket

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Scott, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Scott
    • Original Member

Scott Silver Member

Hello! I am relatively new to Alaska. I signed up for the BofA VISA for the 25,000 bonus miles, as well as the $99 companion ticket and Board Room passes. My $99 companion ticket expires on 10-10-2010. Do I have to complete travel by that date or just book travel by that date?

Thank you!

2. Golfingboy
    • Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Book your travel by that date :)

Scott likes this.
  3. Scott
    • Original Member

Scott Silver Member

Thank you!

Follow-up...what's the best value for redemption? I am thinking of using mine to go to Hawaii. MIA, DCA and EWR fares from SEA also appear to be quite high, so those would seem to be good contenders. Thoughts?

4. Microwave
    • Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

It must be booked by the expiration, however if it expires on October 10, 2010 you're SOL as it's already expired.

I'd say it's pretty widely agreed that the best value for a companion certificate is buying two F seats transcon or to HI. F fares can be booked with the companion certificate, and end up being not much more than buying two coach tickets without the certificate on these routes--plus you get miles, elite bonuses and the like for both travelers. Good luck!

resipsa99 and Scott like this.
  5. gleff
    • Original Member

gleff Co-founder

My best use was F DCA-SEA-OGG and return.

6. Lalala
    • Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Ours is definitely buy one F, get the other one for Free. We are very likely to move our tickets around over and over again, so booking in F makes it so much easier to do, but sometimes finding F avail. to Hawaii is harder than you think. There are lots of people doing the same thing or just coughing up the money for that mai tai served in a glass.

7. Bay Pisco Shark
    • Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

I have had trouble finding F seats to HI from time to time, sometimes weeks out (when the other carriers have plenty of F space).

8. Scott
    • Original Member

Scott Silver Member

Thanks for all the great tips! Buying the F ticket and crediting to AA looks like a great deal for me.

Microwave, yeah, I meant 10/11/2011 for the expiry date. I'm still adjusting to 2011 clearly. :)

Microwave likes this.
  9. Lalala
    • Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Double check that the AA transfer books into full F, especially the companion. I think it does not.

10. gleff
    • Original Member

gleff Co-founder

My companion has credited AS F to AA and gotten full bonus miles.

When you book a companion ticket on Alaska, the companion books into the same booking class as the paid ticket, and it's reported to partner airlines as being that booking class.

Microwave likes this.
  11. RedTape
    • Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

I have had a companion credit miles to NWA Word Perks (RIP-moment of silence)

with no problems whatsoever.

12. YEGman

YEGman Silver Member

Since I rarely fly out of North America, I find that Christmas fares are my best use of this feature to go to our place in PSP.

Up here in Canada, the Alaska Airlines Card is actually a MasterCard since when B of A bought MBNA they forced all Canadian holders of the original Visa into the MasterCard programme MBNA had here at the time.

13. Lalala
    • Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Bonus miles or elite qualifying miles and points? If so, I will be very happy.

14. Golfingboy
    • Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Both :)

You and your companion will get 50% bonus redeemable miles and elite qualifying miles....

IMO, the BEST use of the companion discount is buying an F ticket from pretty much anywhere in the east coast to Hawaii, which is an easy 15ish thousand miles PLUS Hawaii!

15. Scott
    • Original Member

Scott Silver Member

Thanks for additional insights! Holiday flights and east coast flights seem to be a no-brainer. I just wowed a friend with how he could take his wife to Hawaii in F for $750 all-in from DFW. He loved the idea.

Just to verify my mAAth, based on this AA chart, if you fly 1,000 miles on Alaska in F and were an AAdvantage PLT or EXP, you'd get:

1,000 EQM
    500 bonus miles - F class
    1,000 bonus miles - PLT/EXP
    and
    1,500 EQP

Is this correct?

16. Golfingboy
    • Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Correct, except one part... 1,500 EQMs... 1,000 EQMs flown plus 500 bonus EQMs...

So all in all you will earn:

1,500 EQMs
    2,500 Redeemable miles for award trips [flown, EXP/PLT bonus, and F bonus]
    1,500 EQPs..

17. Microwave
    • Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

AAdvantage doesn't earn more than one EQM per mile flown. You'll earn more than one EQP per EQM for paid F, but you're looking at 1 EQM per BIS flown. So in this hypothetical, you'd earn 1,000 EQM, 2,500 RDM and 1,500 EQP.

Scott likes this.
  18. Punki
    • Original Member

Punki Silver Member

I have a lot of different AS credit cards for a lot of different reasons and they all come with companion certificates. We usually end up using them to send a junior employee to a show with a senior employee, whose ticket is paid for by a client, so that they can gain valuable on-site experience.

We have also used them for personal reasons, often for our children's partners when we want them to join us on a trip.

19. resipsa99
    • Original Member

resipsa99 Silver Member

Great info - thanks for the tips. Just signed up for the CAD version of the card this year.

Anyone run into snags in bookings, or just the availability mentioned? I'd be grateful to avoid any known pitfalls...

20. beckoa
    • Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Only one- the tickets are tied together, ie it cannot be split... so if the companion wants to fly somewhere else, you lose that portion of the value. Name changes are possible down the road for a fee, but both travelers must share the same flights and cabin. So if there is one F seat open, neither you nor your companion have access to it. This has happened to me more then once.

resipsa99 and jackal like this.
  21. MoorishIdol

MoorishIdol Active Member

Husband and I used this companion cert to fly in F to KOA last year. This is really the only reason we keep our BOA visa card. Even with the price increase on the cert to $99, it's a great value in First and very easy to redeem!

dgreen12 likes this.
  22. Bobofoosh
    • Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Any idea how long this takes to show up in your Alaska account? I've had the card for a week or so and no cert. I suppose I'll call Alaska soon and find out if no one knows the answer.

23. Bobofoosh
    • Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Answered my own question. Per BofA it takes 6 weeks to get the cert. They said Alaska might be able to speed the process up. I'm going to find out.

24. RedTape
    • Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

I doubt Alaska can "speed the process" much as they need to get the information from Skank of America. But let us know what you find. My annual fee was on my March bill, and I've yet to see the certificate deposited into my Discount Code tabs in my MyAccount.

Bobofoosh likes this.
  25. Bobofoosh
    • Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Ok, so Alaska told me 1-2 weeks for the code on personal cards, but 4-6 weeks AFTER paying the annual fee on business cards. And there is no speeding up the process. Of course I have a business card so I'm in for a long wait.

On that note if anyone can let me use their code now I'll trade you mine when I get it and throw in some MR points or an Alaska e-cert for the help! PM me if you can help me out.