1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa $99 companion ticket

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Scott, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jackal
    • Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Don't forget that the person the certificate is issued to must either be flying on the itinerary or paying for the ticket. In order to use someone else's code, you'd need to have them pay (and then vice versa when they use your code).

Bobofoosh likes this.
  2. Bobofoosh
    • Original Member

Bobofoosh Silver Member

Good point. Luckily, someone was willing to help me out and book my ticket. I'll return the favor in a few weeks. It is a pretty big hoop to jump through though and probably isn't for everyone.

3. AKGUY
    • Original Member

AKGUY Silver Member

Another option is to use the multi-city option and really rack up the miles.

4. RedTape
    • Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

hmm...its been 6-8 weeks for my code on my personal card. Guess I should check with customer care. I don't like dealing with BofA if I can help it.

5. wolfsatz
    • Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Just an FYI, I just applied for this card this morning and their online application is down, had to call the number provided and was accepted. The offer is still valid but they might be making some changes to the offer.

6. PhoenixFF
    • Original Member

PhoenixFF Active Member

What kind of fares have folks seen for SEA to Hawaii in F....I have mostly seen fares in the $1200 range....anyone snag loer fares from the west coast in F?

7. Golfingboy
    • Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

West Coast-Hawaii is usually around $1200-1500 per person, so I highly doubt you will see anything lower than $1200...

8. gleff
    • Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Real value is from the East Coast, eg right now I see DCA-HNL fare basis FLASWR for $1532++. So $1750-ish for 2 F tickets. No worries about upgrading or availability as long as there's an F seat in the cabin, fully refundable/changable, earns COS bonus.

9. resipsa99
    • Original Member

resipsa99 Silver Member

Does anyone know if you can use the companion fare as part of a package vacation, or is it just straight tickets?

10. brad

brad Silver Member

If you click on the terms and conditions link for your companion fare discount code, you will find this at the very top (emphasis mine):

resipsa99 likes this.
  11. resipsa99
    • Original Member

resipsa99 Silver Member

Thanks, Brad, much appreciated!

12. travlr

travlr Silver Member

Can someone double check my idea and make sure it's all good?

Have guy sign up for the personal Alaskan BoA card.. I've seen a 40k bonus but i'm not sure if that's expired or what. I'll pay for the F ticket to HNL and then he'll use the companion ticket ... but we'll both credit miles to AA(american)? I'm assuming we wouldn't be booking this through AA since we'd have the companion voucher, so how would we get the miles over to AA?

13. iolaire
    • Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Just in the reservation or at the airport put your AA mileage account number in rather than your AK air account.

14. sniklec
    • Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

The credit card offer page seems to conflict with the discount code terms:

15. rajuabju
    • Original Member

rajuabju Silver Member

I'm using my $99 companion ticket on a round trip LAX-DCA early next year. Saving me $340 for the wife's ticket. Covered the annual fee and then some!

16. Toula
    • Original Member

Toula Gold Member

I think this is actually a great deal. I signed up early August and got this card. Even though they were advertising 25k points n the telly I got the 40k as advertised online. The points were in my FF account before I received and activated the card. The companion certificate was already added to my online FF account.

I'm going to use mine for a First Class tix for us both to either Mexico or Hawaii.

17. Toula
    • Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Well this $99 companion tix worked out well for me. We dithered too long to book our Christmas flights to Hawaii and one tix in economy was pricing out at around $1400. The pain was not so bad when we were able to get the second tix for the $99.

Lesson to be learned is don't try and fly to Hawaii for Christmas when you haven't gotten your act together to book with only 2 weeks until Christmas Day.

viguera likes this.
  18. adamlile

adamlile Active Member

Without a doubt F to HI. That's how we use ours every year. But fares to DCA and EWR are some of the higher ones on AS so if you need or want to travel there it may make sense. Otherwise go to HI.

19. adamlile

adamlile Active Member

I have found that the AS companion tickets are easier to redeem than all points from other companies. Mainly because AS views companion tickets as reduced fare rather than a free ride. Plus, the person traveling on the companion ticket still gets full mileage accumulation.

20. gleff
    • Original Member

gleff Co-founder

One of the real hidden gem benefits that's out there, indeed... (which says to me that some day it's bound to go away!)

21. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Crossing my fingers and hoping it doesn't. I'm thinking about adding this card to my list!

22. tondoleo
    • Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

This is a wonderful deal for travel to Hawaii from either coast. My friend and his partner recently traveled to OGG from MIA via SEA. He complained that the F seats were not comfortable. I think it was worsened by my informing her about this deal and the thought of the bucks they would have saved.

23. misterbwong

How are the AS First Class seats compared to international products? After looking at pictures they seem closer to the config of many international J seats. Is this normal?

24. jackal
    • Original Member

jackal Gold Member

AS's F seats are among the worst in the industry--almost no padding whatsoever, so your butt is sure to be sore upon deplaning. Not a lot of legroom, either.

They're pretty much the worst domestic F seats and are certainly not comparable to anything you'd find on a major international carrier in J.

25. misterbwong

Sad to hear. This cuts down the value of the companion cert. Might still be worth it if you don't mind travelling on "nicer coach" for the same price as coach.