1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Best SPG Hotel in Shanghai?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by garyst16, Sep 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    • Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

I've read through a lot of posts and am still not sure which hotel to pick! :confused: I will be doing a mileage run in December and will have 2 days to sight see. Can any of the Shanghai experts provide some insight into where would be best to stay for a couple of days?

2. Quasiconvexity
    • Original Member

Quasiconvexity Silver Member

I have only stayed at the Le Royal Meridien and really enjoyed my stay there. It had a nice location as a tourist base and I enjoyed having a leisurely breakfast every day while people-watching at the cafe below. I think the Westin is closer to the Bund if that is of interest.

jbcarioca, garyst16 and uggboy like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Le Royal Meridian is in a wonderful location for tourism, located at the top of the pedestrian shopping street (bottom end is at the stsrt of the Bund and the Peace Hotel (Fairmont), roughly) and on the corner of People's Park. There's also a major subway station just outside. You can walk to the main museum, the art museum, the modern art museum (free for LRM guests), Xiandu, the traditional park for tea, the Bund and the tourist tunnel, many temples, etc. Good Plat recognition and lounge.

4. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

The Westin Bund in not on the Bund; it's in an uninteresting area, primarily of older office buildings, although it's close to major tourist attractions.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Quasiconvexity
    • Original Member

Correct. We saw the Westin when we walked to the Bund from the Le Meridien, and it seemed to be ~10 min away from the Bund on foot.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

I agree with all that, and Le Royal Meridien also has a nice Executive Lounge on the 45th floor which usually has decent drinks and passable wines.

BTW, IIRC several of the Shanghai museums are now free for everyone. The Modern Art (sometimes called Fine Art) is always free, but the building is nicer than the museum. The Shanghai Museum is wonderful and is also free for everyone, and has a great museum shop that sells reproductions of their work. Not cheap, but very, very good. Both of those are about a five minute walk from LRM, on opposite sides of People's Park.

7. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Every year the government declares a period when most museums in China are free, although this leads to long lines. Several years ago this occurred in mid-May, but I understand the dates aren't fixed.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

uggboy likes this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Leisure visitor to Shanghai- LRM is by far your best choice with SPG. Use points if the rates are high. It is a good hotel.

Quasiconvexity, uggboy and garyst16 like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

However, if you're not planning heavy tourism or want convenience to the Expo site, consider the St Regis in Pudong. This property has a more residential feel and would be good for business travellers, but there isn't much of interest within easy walking distance. Plat treatment is good, although the suites could use a freshening. The lounge is pleasant and has good views, but the food offerings have been downgraded to cut costs.

uggboy likes this.
  10. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

A downgrade of the food offerings is something I would not have expected at a St. Regis property, as these properties draw consistently some of the wealthiest individual // business travelers, you would think they have the income to spend on more expensive // higher quality food options within the hotels they stay or frequent and this includes St. Regis.

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  11. Quasiconvexity
    • Original Member

While true in general, I think this particular property doesnt have rates that are very high and is in fact a Category 4 redemption.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

True, it can be cheaper than LRM and the chances of a Plat getting a real (not junior) suite seem to be much higher. It's smaller and seems much more personal, with the general manager very visibly present IME.

uggboy likes this.
  13. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    • Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

At the end of the day, with only 2 days in Shanghai, stay at the LRM. It's central, convenient, nice. I stayed at the Park Hyatt last time I was there and although it was very nice, the inconvenient Pudong location definitely took away from the experience. Even though cabs are cheap, you still have to worry about traffic so the public transport is a big plus ... and that's only if you're going to places where you can't walk to from LRM.

jbcarioca, uggboy, garyst16 and 2 others like this.
  14. theskyflyer
    • Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

I've stayed at both LRM and Westin - both are fine, but I think LRM has a slightly better location. St Regis Pudong is not the best example of the brand. I would rather stay in a regular room of LRM or Westin than a junior suite at SR.

15. Canadi>n
    • Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

For a first timer to Shanghai, le Royal Meridien is THE place to stay. It is located in the heart of the city so you can walk to most of the major sights, and it is on the metro line to both airports (Green line) or the Maglev. Lounge has great views, as do most of the rooms. That said, this coming weekend I will be checking out the new Sheraton, and the Westin Bund for a change of neighbourhoods since this will be my 5th or 6th trip to the city.

jbcarioca, garyst16 and uggboy like this.
  16. Canadi>n
    • Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Stayed there last trip but was not impressed. Location is nowhere. Views minimal. Service disappointing.

jbcarioca, Quasiconvexity and uggboy like this.
  17. Canadi>n
    • Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

The Shanghai and Beijing modern art museums have both been made free admission permanently as of last spring. Saw a very good and extensive exhibition of Australian aboriginal art...as good as any collection on display in that country...at the Shanghai gallery.

18. garyst16
    • Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Thanks for the info...would appreciate an update upon your next visit to the new Sheraton.

jbcarioca and Quasiconvexity like this.
  19. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

The new Sheraton is nice- however it is not near the centre of the city.

Really- if you are visiting Shanghai for leisure the LRM is the best SPG option by a long shot- you are right in the middle of the tourist sights as opposed to being in an industrial district.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. Canadi>n
    • Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Agree but part of my intention is to stay in different neighbourhoods to discover what the city is really like on my visits. It's on the new #10 metro line so an easy commute from more attractive parts of the city. But I think we all agree for a newbie to the city, LRM is the only option within the SPG group and worth the price (particularly if one's a Plat). And I will post a report on the new Sheraton next week. (I think the Westin is pretty well covered.)

uggboy likes this.
  21. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Ahh... makes sense- I was responding to the original OP question about where to stay as a newbie for tourism.

In Shanghai- "interesting" neighborhoods...hmmm....well if you want to go a ways out of your way- do check out
    DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Huaqiao - Kunshan.

Why interesting? Well not really that interesting- except that it is at the very end (last stop) of the metro line, and is near the huge VW production plant- and has.. German Town! It is actually called German Town (not a slang name- the real name) and is a complete replica of a little German town. It was built so that the Germans working at the VW plant all feel at home. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1025219,00.html

Old article, but the town is still there and perfectly intact- in fact I stayed recently at this DoubleTree which would rank as possibly the nicest DoubleTree in Asia.

uggboy likes this.
  22. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

[​IMG]

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  23. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Yes uggboy, that is it. The austrian owned German pub about two blocks away has a remarkably good schnitzel and also not too bad of a bolagnese sauce if you tire of Chinese food after a few days.

uggboy likes this.
  24. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

If you're looking for interesting neighborhoods, try the new hotel at Xiandu or one of the few hotels in the French Concession area. I don't know of any hotels around the place with all the modern art galleries or the intellectuals' pedestrian street with antique shops, but it's not too far from the older hotels across the creek from the Peninsula, just beyond the end of the Bund.

Another idea is up by the university campus, which is on the edge of a new subway line down to the Bund and the big pedestrian shopping street with department stores. (There's a big new attractive shopping mall near the campus too.) I think the leading hotel is a newish medium-sized Crowne Plaza, but it's halfway between the new subway and an old line that's elevated (near a HoJo hotel surrounded by nice looking apartment buildings).

uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  25. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Near French Concession has to be one of the nicest areas of Shanghai.

Jslo and uggboy like this.