Can I get from haneda to Narita?

Discussion in 'NRT/HND/KIX/ITM/CTS/FUK | Japan Regional Airports' started by rschackle, Mar 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rschackle Active Member

I am not flying for another month, but planned on using the bus service. With the Tsunami, what is the latest status? I'm having a hard time figuring it out based on the information on the internet.
    JALPak likes this.
    • Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

The situation could change at any time. It's too early to predict what will happen in a month. When is the arrival time of your flight HND flight and the departure time of your NRT one? I wouldn't worry about it too much for now.
  2. rschackle Active Member

I arrive at 8AM and leave at 6PM so I have the whole day. Is there any way to get between the two airports today?
    • Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

As of today buses and trains are operating normally. If you have 10 hours between flights you might want to look around Tokyo before you go to NRT, otherwise you'll be bored out of your mind waiting at the airport.
    Gargoyle likes this.
    • Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Agreed. Spend 6-8 hours in Tokyo would be a good idea as Haneda is about 30 min outside of Tokyo.
    Gargoyle likes this.
    • Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

rschackle, are you still planning to visit Tokyo? the buses are moving normally.
    • Original Member

kaka Gold Member

alternatively, go HND-ITM-NRT
    or HND-OKA-NRT. verry good value for miles!
    Jubileesmom likes this.
    • Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Bus is more reliable now given the frequent big aftershock
    • Original Member

MeowMaxx Active Member

Hi, I may hv to travel from ORD-NRT, HND-SIN. Is taking the limousine bus the best option? flight arrive at 5.15pm, next flight out of HND is 11.50pm so I hv 5-6 hours in between.
    Thanks!
    • Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

You can find a complete list of options here with recommended transit time being 180 minutes or more. You could spend a little time in Tokyo in which case I would take the train rather than bus.
    • Original Member

MeowMaxx Active Member

Thanks, Simon. Will check it out. Found a website for the limousine bus. Maybe be a good sight seeing experience for $36.00.
    • Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

HND to NRT

Below is my experience from HND – NRT:

Free luggage trolley in baggage claim, grab one as it's a smooth way to move luggage.

Train
    As you exit customs go straight and the entrance is on the right. There is no direct connection and it looked like a few changes from what I could tell. I didn't spend much time investigating, I opted for the bus.

Bus
    As you exit customs, the bus desk is straight ahead on left. They accept credit cards. The one way fare is 3,000 Yen (about $37 USD).

First bus on a Saturday morning is 7:40am. Travel time is about 70 minutes.

The bus is very well organized and easy. Its best to know which terminal you are going to at NRT as there are 3 stops (Terminal 2, Terminal 1 South, Terminal 1 North). The staff will load luggage under the bus and provide a claim check. Then sit back and enjoy the ride.

On approach to NRT, you will need to show your passport. This is a standard NRT security check.

Some helpful HND points:

ATM
    Exit customs and to the immediate left are two ATM machines.​

Rest rooms
    Lots of them and well-marked. They are large and easy to enter with a luggage trolley​

Convenience Store
    Ground floor (1F) is a convenience store called Lawson. They took my Visa for a small 345 purchase, no problem​

Showers
    As you exit customs, turn right and the end of the hall is a pay shower facility. 800 for 30 minutes and you get a tiny private shower room.​

Internet
    Free Internet with TIAT. You need to provide a name and email address. I gave a Gmail address and had no problems.​
    • Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Is there no helicopter service from NRT to HND?
    Jubileesmom likes this.
    • Original Member

armagebedar Silver Member

No. There is service from Akasaka Ark Hills and NRT, but you must get from HND first (by taxi or limousine, I suppose). Keep in mind also that the helicopter service to NRT only goes to a heliport nearby; you are transported by car the remaining 10 minutes or so to the terminal.
    daninstl likes this.
    • Original Member

Ah ok, thanks!

I was hoping there would be one, but alas I'll just have to do something else I suppose...
    Jubileesmom likes this.
    • Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

The heli service would probably pick you up in a car at Haneda at no extra charge if you booked it in advance. Problem is, portal to portal, a taxi would be faster -- and cheaper (but still expensive, just cheap compared to the helicopter).
    General_Flyer likes this.
    • Original Member

I think I'll just opt for the limo bus if the option doesn't differ too much..
    • Original Member

joejones Silver Member

There has been a healthy offering of direct trains between HND and NRT ever since the new Keisei Sky Access line opened last year. The route is through the Keikyu line to Shinagawa, then through the Asakusa subway line to Oshiage (underneath the "Sky Tree"), then through the Keisei line to NRT.

Advantages:
    • Fare is 1,700 yen, cheaper than the bus.
    • If you want to stop along the way, you can get out at a number of interesting intermediate stations in central Tokyo -- Daimon (Tokyo Tower), Shimbashi (near Shiodome, Tsukiji and Ginza), Asakusa and Oshiage (Sky Tree).
    Drawbacks:
    • The train is a standard commuter train with no extra storage space for large luggage.
    • The train takes longer than the bus (1:45 or so) because it has to stop several times along the way.
    • There are only two or three direct trains each hour.
    briantoronto and General_Flyer like this.
    • Original Member

Is this just one train without transfer? I'll be arriving in NRT at 06:20 and have to clear immigration before going on a 10:05 flight from HND on a sunday.. I'm fine with either option, but if I am pressed for time, might have to opt for the bus instead.. But I may have large luggages, so my options are rather limited it seems..
    • Original Member

joejones Silver Member

The bus is probably better in your case. Neither is really a good option because of the time of day -- it will be morning rush hour and you will be following a busy commuter route into the city, meaning you will either get packed in on the train or stuck in traffic on the bus.
    • Original Member

If you get a through train AND board at Narita terminal 1, you will, however, have a seat. If you come in at terminal 2, what I always wanted to do is get there a little early, ride the train back to terminal 1 and re-board there -- I've seen it be a rush for a seat even at terminal 2, the first stop after the train starts. Never done that, though.

If you have to change at Aoto, the odds are high that during the morning rush hour you will have to stand at least from Aoto to Shinagawa.
    • Original Member

joejones Silver Member

You'll have a seat, but the train will get very crowded very quickly, and the seating is subway-style bench seats. If you have a suitcase next to you, you will probably end up with a score of Japanese people knocking it around at every station as they struggle to get on and off. That's enough of an incentive for me to take the bus even if the through train is available.
    • Original Member

Is there a morning rush on a sunday?? :eek:
    RichardInSF likes this.
    • Original Member

No.
    • Original Member

Ah ok! because that's the day of my arrival.. :D