Can wool pants be washed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dovster, Mar 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

• Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Dry cleaning is a PITA for me. The closest place is 30 kilometers from my house and is open only in the mornings.

I have four pairs of dress wool pants (two heavy wool and two light, summer, wool). They all say on them "dry clean only". I also have a washer-dryer that has a wool cycle and a bottle of "Woolite".

Is there any reason that they really have to be dry cleaned? What will happen if I put them in the washer?
    lisamcgu, DeltaExpert, Lyssa and 2 others like this.
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Have faith Dovster, help is at hand. Making a search for "washing dry-clean only clothing" will give you a host of hints.

In my house we do not use dry cleaning at all, not even for my ridiculously expensive fine wool suits. We use Woolite and hand wash them, as we do everything else that is silk or wool. That includes sweaters, skirts, the aforementioned suits.

There are four steps we use:
    1) If there are any spots the treatmenst depends on the type:
    if wine, food, anything greasy- lie garment flat, put a generous amount of any talc on the garment and let it stand for at least 12 hours. That should be done as soon as possible after the stain happens. Then brush the talc out. That removes almost all stains. For nastier stains there are a variety of cleaning sticks on the market in the US where we buy them, I do not know about Israel.
    2) using a small amount of Woolite and cold water (it MUST be cold water) gently wash the garment. Rinse it completely but do not twist it to extract water
    3) Block the garment on a clean white fluffy towel (s). For some thinker garments we often do that two or three times until the garment becomes dry. Do not pull or stretch, just place the garment flat on the towel(s).
    4) Before the garment is 100% dry iron. The ironing is the most critical part because the garment must be humid enough for the ironing to remove wrinkles, of which there are many at this point, but not damage the garment.

Ours work perfectly this way. We have not used a dry cleaner for many years.
    doc, lisamcgu and Skyvillager like this.
    • Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Soaking the pants in cool water for a couple of hours will loosen most of the dirt.
    Remove Pants and drain the cool water and add warm water, disolve 1-2 tsp of liquid detergent into the water and mix. Gently move pants around in the water aviod rubbing or wringing them. Drain water, run cold water and rinse.
    Place pants between two towels to soak up excess water, repeat as needed, lay flat to air dry turning as needed.
    Wait a minute, this is just a Dovster ploy to meet women...please disregard.
    lisamcgu, 2soonold and jbcarioca like this.
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

It is strange that he only has responses from men. Has he had that problem for a very long time?What sex is UIG?
    lisamcgu and sobore like this.
    • Original Member

lipton Gold Member

I put all wool into the washing machine. Use the wool program, check that its washed cold and no spinning. I use wool washing creme. Never had trouble with anything. Just wring it after washing (it will be soaked with water) and lay it on a towel to dry.
    doc, lisamcgu and jbcarioca like this.
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

OK, Dov, now you have one.
    lisamcgu and 2soonold like this.
    • Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

I'm a senior citizen. I try to avoid wool.
    doc, lisamcgu and jbcarioca like this.
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Me too, but I use wool when going to cold places
    lisamcgu likes this.
    • Original Member

milepig Silver Member

If you do this often, I'd suggest investing in a pair of pant stretchers - these are metal frames that you insert into the legs while the trousers are drying. You can arrange it so the edges sit right on the crease. You then hang the trousers upside down until they're dry. They give a great look and crisp pleat, and help avoid shrinkage while drying.
    lisamcgu, jbcarioca and Dovster like this.
    • Original Member

Skyvillager Silver Member

Dovster's women are well trained. They know he prefers non-talkative nymphomaniacs.
    • Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Lipton and I had a very sad experience. A short time ago we met on MP and fell madly in love with each other.

Then we discovered that she is much too old for me. [​IMG]
    annerj, Skyvillager, lisamcgu and 2 others like this.
    • Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Right -- but keep quiet. [​IMG]
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Yes, but are your pants cleaned and pressed now?
    lisamcgu likes this.
    • Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Not yet. I may try to do it this weekend. Then again, I might be too lazy.
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

My instructions were approved by my laundress, and I translated them to English. That is the closest I have come to actually doing it myself. Mrs. jb does it once in a while though.
    lisamcgu likes this.
    • Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

LOL :D
    Skyvillager and jbcarioca like this.
    • Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Again, LOL! You guys are pullin out all the stops :D
    • Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Soak any stains out with Oxy-Clean and Tide (a bit of hot water is needed at first to melt the OC, just a bit) and then I throw it in the Wool/Handwash cycle on my machine. That is how you do it, buy a machine that has that setting :D
    Skyvillager likes this.
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Dovster don't you think you should have a professionally structured response to lisamcgu? She is, after all, a California girl, therefore wholesome, thoughtful, considerate and possessing a good sense of humor. For you to ignore her seems churlish. I do not understand, maybe Cholula or Canarsie might have greater insight.
    lisamcgu likes this.
    • Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

He seems to be not responding as he is offline. In fact, he hasn't even acknowledged another fine lady who helped him get to 1,000 status pts! Yes, she did it ... well, okay, I guess Dovster helped a bit, but anyway he is there! Congratulations Dovster!!
    • Original Member

Canarsie Silver Member

Wool we ever stop panting and get this discussion back on topic before someone either socks or belts someone else and considers this discussion a wash?
    • Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

pant Stretchers??? Are those still around? Used them in high school when my mother revolted and said you're over 16 now do your own d... ironing.[​IMG]
    • Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Just about anything can be washed so the answer is yes.
    lisamcgu and jbcarioca like this.
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Do you remember the topic? Oh, Dovsters search for women, is that it?
    • Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Try Dryel. www.dryel.com I even use it on Hunki's Armani tux.

Oh, and yes, you can wash anything, but washing wool pants, sweaters, etc., blocking them and making sure they come out perfectly, is an even bigger PITA than going to the dry cleaners.
    lisamcgu and jbcarioca like this.