1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Cancelling United MileagePlus® Explorer Card

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by dougnet, Aug 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dougnet

dougnet Member

will cancelling United MileagePlus® Explorer Card zero out my MileagePlus account , most of the points I have earned(30K) are for just signing up for that card ?

Admins please move thread if not in appropriate sub foru.

Thanks

2. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Guess it might depend upon how quickly you cancel, but I would doubt that the miles would be taken out of your account...

3. Scottrick
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

You should be fine if it's at least six months after they posted.

Ygor likes this.
  4. dougnet

dougnet Member

its going to be 1 yr next month and i dont want to pay 95 $ fee

5. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

they will not take the miles back but with out adding additional miles to the account you will need to watch the expiration date of these miles.

6. theblakefish
    • Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Call Chase and tell them that you want to cancel the card after about 8 months, and my experience is that they sometimes will throw an incentive at you. Maybe a waived annual fee...sometimes extra miles just for you to keep it. [​IMG]

guberif and Ygor like this.
  7. FrugalAsianMan

FrugalAsianMan Silver Member

I would first do what theblakefish said and tell them honestly that you've had the card for 11 months now and you're not completely satisfied with the perks versus the annual fee value, and that you would like to cancel the card. If they have any promotions/offers they can offer to you, the rep should tell you then.

But to answer your question, you shouldn't have your miles affected if it's been close to a year since you opened it. I've closed cards w/ chase (albeit not the explorer card in particular) after the one year period hits, and didn't have my points affected for those cards.

And if it helps you to know, Chase will refund you the annual fee if you get hit by it and cancel the card within 60 days of receiving the fee. (I know this because a rep told me this and retroactively removed an annual fee off of one of my original mileageplus cards, after I had opened an explorer card.) So you have some time to think about this.

Sunshine7 and Ygor like this.
  8. Ygor
    • Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Is that still happening? I called them just today, because someone try to buy some furniture in South Africa with my card, and I cancelled it when the fraud issue was taken care of, and the did not even bother to try to do anything for me to keep the card. Maybe since I never carry a balance they dont like me very much.

However, this was an old Chase Continental card, that was turned in an MP Explorer. I also got a straight up Chase MP explorer when I got a 50k offer last year, so I ended up with two identical cards, hence me wanting to cancel one.

9. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Lots depends on what the computer tells them and the rep. Sometimes they will give you an offer othertimes you will get just closed. So if you want to play that game for free miles be prepared to have i closed.

10. dougnet

dougnet Member

rep did not offer jack , and when i mentioned about the current 65 k offer and i had gotten just 25 K , he did warn me about maximum sign up points that can be earned for the life on the card

11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

I believe Chase has a policy that allows consumers to get the sign on bonus once per product. Therefore once you have had the UAM+E card; (wow that's a long one even w/Acronym) even if you reapply and get approved you will not get the sign on bonus. At least that's my understanding of their policy.

However if you applied/approved for a card and they change the sign up bonus; you have ~90 days to message them, requesting a bump up to the current offer, or bump up to the previous offer. This however is is a YMMV case.

Sunshine7 likes this.
  12. slickw

slickw Active Member

Dougnet -
    I found this forum searching for the answer to the same questions you asked. I got 50k miles with the MileagePlus Explorer and also do not want to pay the $95 fee. I could have sworn when I read the included agreement it said I would lose the miles if I canceled for any reason. I cannot find the paperwork now. However on the Chase website it says the following..."If your Account is in default as described in your Cardmember Agreement

(“Agreement”), and/or your Account is closed for any reason, and/or there is any fraud or abuse related to the

accrual of miles, we reserve the right to prohibit you from earning miles through your Account and to cause

you to forfeit any miles that we have not yet sent to your MileagePlus account." It also states "If your account is not open for at least six months, United and Chase reserve the right to deduct the bonus miles from your MileagePlus Program account."
    So it appears to imply you might be ok if the miles are already applied to your MileagePlus account and the account is open for at least six months.
    I am still paranoid about what I thought I read in my original agreement so I just went online and requested a copy - strange but they only provide it via postal mail and not electronically.

13. chitownflyer
    • Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

With Chase, a new credit card account usually has to be open for at least six months in order to keep the miles or points earned from the sign up offer. I would recommend leaving the account open seven or eight months to be on the cautious side.

14. dougnet

dougnet Member

I had the card for almost an year so i did go ahead and cancel it , that was a month ago and it have not seen any claw back from Chase/united , i am monitoring my united account daily .. will see

15. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

I can't speak to the post-merger cards but the pre-merger cards the miles stayed yours as long as you were 6+ months.