Capital One - Best Redemption Option?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by anng3, Mar 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. anng3
    • Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Looking for some ideas on how to best spend my 100,000 Capital One Rewards. What are you
    going to use them for?

2. tzoom84
    • Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

My wife and I both did the offer for hopefully a total of ~200k points. I think I am just going to use them for a whole lot of cheap/midrange hotel stays wherever we go.

Although one nice deal Gary from View from the Wing noticed is you can get 1.7 cents per mile value (rather than 1 cent per mile) by redeeming for Hyatt certificates. Although there are some restrictions (all $900 need to be used in one stay, etc)

Elijah Nouvelage likes this.
  3. anng3
    • Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

I was just weighing a 7 night stay doing priceline for a 2.5 or 3* in South Florida probably for around $425 or using one of the $900 for a 7 night stay at a Hyattplace and getting Hyatt points for it.

4. sunspotzsz
    • Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Now, why are you guys all assuming that the $900 certificate would come on piece of paper? It could be 9 $100 certificates, right?

5. Jaguar
    • Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member

Well, as per the T&C, you are expected to use the entire $900 at one shot for a single stay, so it's highly unlikely that you would get 9 $100 certificates...

6. anng3
    • Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

In the description it says you must use the certificate singular.

7. Steven Schwartz
    • Original Member

Steven Schwartz Silver Member

Which is why my wife and I will cancel our award stay at the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome in December and book five nights for cash, use both of our cards to get $3600 credit at Hyatt and add our Hyatt Diamond guaranteed suite upgrade. Yum!

8. sunspotzsz
    • Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

I wondering what kind of rates are eligible for the use of the certificates. Would AAA or corporate rates be eligible?

9. anng3
    • Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

I think on the other thread people said they have used AAA rates. The Capital $900 award for 7 nights at a Hyattplace + the April 1 new Hyatt promotion should give 15000 Hyatt points. That's enough for 3 nights at a
    category 1 or 2 nights at a category 2.

10. anng3
    • Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Just spoke to CSR. Certificate takes 2-3 weeks to arrive. Found out priceline purchases can be redeemed.
    FYI, if you link to priceline thru Capital One rewards you get 4 points per dollar spent.

11. tzoom84
    • Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Confused. What do you mean by priceline purchases can be redeemed? Do you mean that one can use the hyatt certs to puchase over priceline, assumably at only hyatt locations?

12. anng3
    • Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Two separate things.

I was looking to use Hyatt certs for a stay in the next week. The certificates take 2-3 weeks to mail so can't use them.

Search Capital One rewards for opportunities to earn points merchants Priceline. It shows
    you a link to Priceline that lets you earn 4 points per dollar spent. Then after you make your
    priceline charge you can get Capital One to reimburse you if you have enough points.

13. PoorMansBidet
    • Original Member

PoorMansBidet Silver Member

Does Capital One let you keep the points earned from a purchase after you have used points to pay for that travel?

14. airshadow
    • Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

yes

15. airshadow
    • Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

good call - I hadn't yet explored bonus earning opportunities with C1. I'll have to check it out.

16. Mike1625
    • Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

remember, if you get to keep the credit card points earned even after your redeem, then each point is worth 1.1 cents .... in effect, because of the replenishment of 1% of the redeemed points.

17. airshadow
    • Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

I posted this in the Discover America Daily Getaways thread, but thought it was worth a post here too:

For those who recently got the C1 Venture card (100k match), I used my C1 card [on a Daily Getaway purchase] last year and it was coded as "travel-other" :)

Of course, that was last year. There's no guarantee they'll do the same this year, but at least it's something to look into!

Elijah Nouvelage likes this.
  18. aitchly
    • Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Nice catch! This would be a wonderful double dip.

19. JohnDeere19
    • Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

That would be a great deal, but then you don't get the 10% extra discount for using an AMEX.

20. Steven Schwartz
    • Original Member

Steven Schwartz Silver Member

Points posted this morning and just redeemed for two $900 Hyatt certificates. Need to get my wife to finish her $1,000 spend and get the other 2 certificates so we can cancel our award reservation at the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome and use these to pay for the trip.

Jaguar likes this.
  21. Jaguar
    • Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member

yeah!!! 100K bonus points has been posted! I am still having a hard time believing that the entire process was this smooth...
    I need to work on my wife's card now...

MrHalliday likes this.
  22. PedroNY
    • Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Does anyone plan to actually redeem thes points towards a travel purchase, say buying plane tickets or hotel stays? I feel like everyone is only concentrating on the Hyatt $900 certificates. Is that the case?

23. Nelumbo
    • Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

It looks like either (1) two Hyatt $900 certificates or (2) 82K US miles is good use and the redemption value would be higher than the "Venture Mileage to $".

24. wanderinghome

wanderinghome Active Member

What do you mean "82K US miles"? I don't see anything in this thread about that. Could you explain what that means please?

Thank you, and sorry if this is a silly question. I did look above first.

25. Lantean

Lantean Silver Member

I would like to know this too... :confused: