Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. Feb. 2014

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Nov 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

• Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you a heads up about some changes we’ll be making to our MileagePlus award chart and upgrade policies. More details, including links to the changes, are listed below.
    • Changes to miles needed for some Saver and Standard Awards, including domestic stopovers (link - PDF p.2)
    • Different premium cabin mileage levels for Star Alliance and MileagePlus partners (link - PDF p.3)
    • Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights (link - see chart)
    Changes to the award charts take effect for all award tickets issued on or after February 1, 2014. The upgrade policy changes will not impact any flights taken before February 1, 2014.

As always, I’m here and will do my best to answer any clarifying questions you may have.

Aaron Goldberg
    Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
    United Airlines
    • Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Lol.. If the United management ever gets canned, they could just move right in and take over a banana republic with an inflation like this. Partner F rewards to Europe go from 67.500 to 110.000 one way. Biz goes from 55k to 70.

Dayooo!

Absolutely no shame at all..
    DIG/R_1K, GoodBoy, rggale and 4 others like this.
    • Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

These changes would appear to universally suck. :(
  1. RRK Silver Member

it's so UNITED .... friendly

let's get rid off our last loyal elites by changing our FRIENDLY MileagePlus policies
    stephenbgarvan, Espan, MX and 2 others like this.
    • Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Sooo glad I left UA, sooo sad I have lots of miles still to redeem and they just are about to lose about half their value!
    drewbles, Espan, rggale and 4 others like this.
    • Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

This is quite shameful. And these changes do universally suck. This is a blow to the solar plexus with a simultaneous kick to the groin.

The value advantage of the MileagePlus currency vis-a-vis other domestic carrier currencies has eroded and is to the point where there really isn't much advantage at all.

What exactly is the message here, besides, "Screw you, UA customer"?

Well, one other message I can think of is, "Our hard (and soft) product isn't as great as the hard and soft products of some of our Star Alliance partners, so we're pricing appropriately and accordingly."

Utterly and completely terrible.
  2. skyvan Gold Member

Making me re-think my loyalty to UA for next year...seriously considering just going back to DL.
    • Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

3. ballardFlyer Silver Member

Well the typically unoriginal UA mgmt matched DL with C fare raises and then *shockingly* surpassed them in customer unfriendliness by charging different outrageous prices for their metal vs partners within the same "alliance" Bet the folks in ATL will be wringing their hands at no longer being best in class in sticking it to their alliance. Time to burn some UA MP F awards it appears.

Nice move UA. Hope it works out well for you.
    stephenbgarvan and drewbles like this.
  4. skyvan Gold Member

Let me rephrase that, I am now going to be flying Delta next year instead of UA. This is just ridiculous. Back to my old stomping grounds at Delta, where at least the in-flight product is significantly better.

Here's what DL now has over UA
    -More F seats
    -Better international flat bed product
    -More mainline
    -Larger Regionals when you have to fly them
    -Meals on more flights
    -Wifi on every flight
    -Gate to Gate personal electronic device (pending FAA approval...doubt UA gets this done this year)
    -Free club access with AMEX Plat
    -Awards that are the same on DL or partners (or if anything, higher on own metal)
    -Friendly agents
    -Rollover MQM
    -Lounge Showers everywhere
    -Red Dress flight attendants
    -misleading advertising
    -Faster RQM qualifying for mid-tier levels

What does UA have?
    -Unobtainable F redemption availability
    -"Pasta with Red Sauce" transcontinental entree option (seriously???)
    -Better miles for domestic trips
    -More partner airlines outside the US
    -Blue Dress flight attendants
    -cool frequent flyer events, that I'll likely still attend, just not as a UA customer
    -misleading advertising
    Golfingboy, drewbles, rggale and 2 others like this.
    • Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Frankly United this is simply insulting. Everybody expects and understands changes and devaluations. However this is a real slap in the face of your customers. Almost twice as many miles required for first class on Star Alliance airlines? You've got to be kidding me. And why are redemptions on Star Alliance so much more expensive than redemptions on UA? Is it to highlight the better product offered by other airlines, or to penalize those who use Star Alliance to reach destinations not served by UA? Isn't that the whole point of an alliance?

If this change was accompanied by, say, a substantial increase in the number of available award seats, I could weigh the pros vs. the cons. As it stands though, along with the other changes to MileagePlus, this is just terrible.
  5. daemon14 Gold Member

Time for a United version of Save Skymiles?
    • Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

It worked real well for SkyMiles, didn't it? :rolleyes:
    LETTERBOY likes this.
    • Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

So even on metal-neutral ATI JV members, there is a surcharge to fly in the partner premium cabins? The ones where they share the profits and losses? That makes sense why?

Is this a Halloween trick?
    PanAm and rggale like this.
    • Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

United your airline sucks and you cannot compete with other star carriers nor middle eastern carriers. Soon you will have only non revs in f and j.
    daemon14, Mrlasssen and rggale like this.
    • Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Thanks for the Friday morning Suckfest:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

e.g., Central Asia F-award on partner went from 80K to 140K :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    rggale likes this.
    • Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

I too am curious as to this.

Aaron, could you please address the logic behind this?
  6. MileCards Silver Member

stephenbgarvan likes this.
    • Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Yet another in a long line of customer unfriendly moves post-merger.
    stephenbgarvan, drewbles and rggale like this.
  7. paladinua Silver Member

Hmm, perhaps this explains why UA forced ExpertFlyer to stop showing awards and upgrades as of today? To accomodate for the exponential increase in award searches so we can all burn our MP miles before they turn into worthless pesos?
    stephenbgarvan, meFIRST, MX and 4 others like this.
    • Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

April fools...oh wait. Yet another reason I'm proud to be an AA executive platinum member. This is simply brutal and a major devaluation to Chase Ultimate Rewards as well.
    eddie and Espan like this.
  8. NYCUA1K Gold Member

Observations:
    • Long-haul redemptions with partners beside within the Americas are truly out there; prohibitive for F
    • Redemptions within any continent are not too bad (e.g., no change within 48 contiguous US states)
    • Redemptions between regions not separated by an ocean (e.g., N Asia - S Asia) also not too bad, even with partners (really same as above).
    Bottom line: UA would like to encourage you to redeem to fly with UA! ;)

I almost invariably redeem to fly with partners intra-Asia (N-N, N-S, S-S) for which the "hit job" does not appear to be too bloody, and I have never redeemed to do long-haul trips on partner airlines. The changes generally suck, but with my redemption pattern and loads of RDMs to spare every year, I believe that I will weather this "devaluation" just fine. Like with any "devaluation" (a "course correction" to offset for new ways to earn miles/points), the only remedy is to devise even more creative ways to haul in lots of miles at a faster pace...until the next "devaluation."
    FlyingFree, 8MiHi and radonc1951 like this.
    • Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

I am glad i have accumulated points in chase sapphire, and amex membership rewards. When the devaluations hit, you can always move to another program. But these last few months I've been proactively burning miles. Redeeming as many US Airways US-North Asia awards for 90k roundtrip in business, with service on partners like United.

Glad i'm crediting all my paid J star alliance trips to US. The question is, where should I accrue miles once US leaves star. I know the answer is not UA.
    • Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

*SHOTS FIRED IN CH-IRAQ!!!*
    rggale likes this.
    • Original Member

Counsellor Silver Member

Aaron, a question:

How is this is going to work for a situation where one has to use a Star Alliance partner for a positioning/feeder flight for a long-haul award on United metal (e.g., taking LH STR-FRA to catch a FRA-IAD flight on United with a continuation IAD-ORD-MLI also on United). Used to be the feeder flights were thrown in gratis. Will that remain the case?