Chase Canceling Fraud Protection

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by rodeojones, Aug 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

I searched MP and FT and found no mention of it anywhere.

My wife and I both have received notices from Chase that beginning November 1, Chase will no longer be offering fraud protection for their Hyatt and Ink Bold products. I called Chase customer service and was told this was across the board for the Hyatt card and just yesterday I received the same notice for my Ink Bold.

Fraud protection is something that I consider to be very important and will be canceling both sets of cards unfortunately. Two weeks ago my wifes Sapphire card was fraudulently used for $20,000 worth of online purchases in Australia. Had we not had the fraud protection, we would have been on the hook for that.

I'm especially disappointed in the Ink Bold since I spend $500.00 monthly on cell/cable bills. The lack of fraud protection cancels the benefit in my case.

Anyone else get this notice??

Kalboz and Gargoyle like this.
  2. servo

servo Silver Member

My notice for the Sapphire Preferred and Ink Plus both said they're canceling ID Theft protection. It didn't mention anything about "fraud" protection. Verbatim from my letters:

"Please note that ID Theft Coverage will be cancelled. All changes are effective November 1, 2013."

3. LETTERBOY
    • Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

:confused: In the US, if your credit card is used fraudulently, your liability is limited by law to $50.

zphelj, garyst16, Kalboz and 7 others like this.
  4. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Mine said the same "ID Theft Coverage" which I assumed was the same thing.

So I called Ink Bold and a CSR explained that "ID Theft Coverage" is a $9.95 benefit and is separate from "fraud protection". The CSR stated I don't have the feature and should have never received the notice. Strange since both my wife and I never had the feature but we both received the notices for our Hyatt card.

Sounds like I was overly alarmed.

5. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Did not know that...thanks.

6. servo

servo Silver Member

Better to be overly alarmed than to be naive, in my opinion. :) I looked into it also, but after reviewing everything, concluded that it wasn't a big deal.

Kalboz, Gargoyle and rodeojones like this.
  7. boondr

boondr Gold Member

I am not entirely sure but I don't think that applies to business cards. Most of those consumer protection laws are for personal cards only and don't automatically apply to business cards.

Rodeo, you may have never had the fraud protection you thought you did on the INK products.

8. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Correct, and most credit card companies will waive the first $50 if you report the problem promptly. IIRC the protection applies to USA issued personal credit cards worldwide and does not include debit cards.

9. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

We got a call from Chase's fraud department a couple of weeks ago when they detected that one or more than one person was attempting to use her Ink card number to purchase Ethiopian Airlines tickets, along with several other random purchases. They might have been a little more alert because she had notified them that she would be travelling in Europe, but it was very nice to see that they picked up on it in a hurry and decided to let us know.

10. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Similar experience with my wife's CSP that I noted in my OP. Chase caught it same day...

Kalboz likes this.
  11. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Yeah, I just thought I'd throw it out there because it was a business card.

They also caught something on my Sapphire card a few months ago. Instead of mailing the dead card in, as instructed, I still have it and will eventually have some fun destroying it.

12. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Good luck with that, took me a blow torch, anvil and hammer to make my CSP unrecognizable.

13. William JLP

William JLP Gold Member

Like I said, going to have some fun.

boondr likes this.
  14. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Chase is cancelling ID Theft Coverage and NOT Fraud Protection. Fraud Protection is when someone uses your card for purchases. ID Theft Coverage is the cost incurred by you if you had your identity stolen. I believe i was for up to $5,000.

15. Jenny & Curt
    • Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Someone went to a clothing store in Florida last week with our Chase Freedom. As that particular card is usually only used for bonus categories, it is pretty easy to assume that there was a skimmer on a gas pump somewhere, as we had both of our cards with us but the CSR said the person charging $400 worth of clothes had a physical card. Chase overnighted us our new cards when I told them we'd be leaving right away on another trip, and wanted to get the bonus on our gas spend.

rodeojones and William JLP like this.
  16. NYBanker
    • Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

And, assuming you have quality homeowners insurance, you'll likely have $10k-$25k of identity theft coverage under that policy.

17. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

That is something I will look into with my insurance company. I was not aware of that...great info.

18. travelmystic
    • Original Member

travelmystic Active Member

ID Theft protection on house insurance is usually an additional nominal fee. Our agent suggested it to us several years ago and since we travel a lot we added it to our policy.