Chase Presidential Plus - free for one year

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by PAinNY, Apr 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    • Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Well, I got a targeted offer that I couldn't pass up. One free year of Pres Plus ($395 value). I don't travel all that much but it will be nice to use the President's club when I do. I also ordered a card for my husband so, does that mean we both get into the President's club or will I have to pay for one?
    Also, will there baggage allowance count on United? We have upcoming flights on both CO and UA in the next couple of months
    Thanks
    Pat
    alohastephen likes this.
  2. PhlyingRPh
    • Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Outstanding offer. Any sanctions for not continuing membership beyond a year?
    PAinNY likes this.
  3. PAinNY
    • Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

It is an outstanding offer and I was shocked to receive it. I don't know why or how I was chosen as I have absolutely no status and I recently (Feb) got the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I don't believe there are any penalties if I cancel but I also wonder if the card will even exist next year due to the merger?
  4. notbgates
    • Original Member

notbgates Silver Member

Any clue in the offer as to why it was made? "Because you ... flew so much on Continental / charged so much on Chase one pass plus / belong to the ancient order of the Turtle / live in zip code XXXXX" or something else.

Is there a minimum spend $$$ amt?

Oh, and congratulations on snagging it ;)
    rhoady and PAinNY like this.
  5. PAinNY
    • Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

No minimun spend, no clue at all other than I am a valued customer:eek: Last year I flew Continental once, like I said, no status. I do not use the Chase Sapphire as my major card - I am at a complete loss. I use my Florida zip code for Chase/Continental (PBI) so that makes no sense either.
    notbgates likes this.
  6. notbgates
    • Original Member

notbgates Silver Member

We're flying CO first time this year this weekend (free checked bags from Chase one pass plus(free first year)) so will see if Chase steps up at renewal time; if there even are CO credit cards then.
    Switch2 and PAinNY like this.
  7. PAinNY
    • Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

My husband has the Continental One Pass Plus for years and never got any offers - strange that I should get this one.
  8. PAinNY
    • Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Ok, now you all had me thinking so I re-read the letter - here is the story.

Dear PAinNY
    If you are thinking about acquiring a premium card, here is something to consider.

After Sept 30, 2011, the American Express Platninum Card will no longer be accepted for admission to Presidents Club Lounges. And that not all - the option to transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your One Pass account will also end after that date. "My edit to this paragraph - I do not have the AX MR card - I use SPG)

Those are two solid reasons to choose Continental Airlines Presidential Plus Card. It includes a Presidents Club Membershio (up to $475 value) for as long as you remain a Cardmember. And you earn OnePass miles with every purchase - miles you can redeem for reward travel to more than 370 destinations around the globe. To make the card even more attractive we are waiving the $395 annual fee your first year.

The Presidents club is designed to give you the ultimate travel experience with a package of benefits we call Blue Carpet treatment blah blah blah

For your convience, your application will have your name and address filled in for you. To apply, go to continentalpresplus.com by May 18, 2011 and enter your invitation number xxxxxxxxxxxx

We appreicate your business and look forward to seeing you
  9. notbgates
    • Original Member

notbgates Silver Member

FWIW, unlike citicorp, fidelity, ameriprise and perhaps others, Chase does not offset CC annual fees for having other banking/brokering relationships with them; so if you get too attached to their high end / high priced product, be prepared to ante up their asking price for year #2 and beyond.

Unless other posters have done better by threatening to cancel at renewal time, that is. This only worked for (old) Diners Club for me. Their retention offers were sweet.

Anyways, best of luck with the next 12 months' usage!
    PAinNY likes this.
  10. PAinNY
    • Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Thanks so much - not really worried about 2nd year but was quite happy/surprised with 1st year
    Horse likes this.
  11. elementaltrs

elementaltrs Active Member

Since I was instantly approved for the CO PP MC for BUSINESS card, I am not worried about the annual fee, since credit card annual fees on Business credit card can be deducted.
    PAinNY likes this.
  12. Jason
    • Original Member

Jason Silver Member

I don't have this Chase card, but have the Continental One Pass. I actually tried to cancel today because it was time for the annual fee ($85). They gave me three options to keep the card. a) Waive the annual fee b) $100 statement credit c) 10,000 miles. I went with the miles since I was getting them for $.01 a mile, but now am not sure I made the best choice. Not sure why anyone would just get the fee waived when the $100 credit would more than cover it...
    PAinNY and airshadow like this.
  13. airshadow
    • Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

That's a decent set of retention options. Out of curiosity, were you an occasional or heavy user? I've been fairly light and mine's coming up soon...

ps, congrats on becoming Orig Member
    PAinNY likes this.
  14. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

For the record, to answer PAinNY's original question, only the primary cardholder can get into Presidents' Clubs when travelling. The secondary cardholder can get in only when accompanied by the primary cardholder. Since I travel independently of my wife lots of the time, and she's the primary, it hasn't really been worth it for us.
    PAinNY likes this.
  15. elementaltrs

elementaltrs Active Member

Harvson3,
    Check with Chase/ CO Presidential Club Service center the Primary member of Presidential Plus may be entitled to purchase a spouse card for $150.
    harvson3 likes this.
  16. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

This is true, and possible. We haven't bothered to do so yet.
    PAinNY likes this.
  17. secretsea18
    • Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

I also received this CC offer in March... I took advantage of it for: waived annual fee for a year, and free PC membership which is noted to be through 7/12 on the PC card!
    Plus it gives EQM and 3x miles for CO purchases...
    Not bad for free.
    PAinNY likes this.
  18. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Chase usually doesn't offer much or anything for retention. Any idea why they gave you such good offers? Were you a heavy user of the card or long-time customer?
  19. Jason
    • Original Member

Jason Silver Member

No, neither. I just opened the card a year ago, and only put a few thousand dollars on it, basically enough to get the sign up miles. I really just wanted to closed the account, but the bonus made it worth it... My wife has a separate chase card, which I'm an authorized user, that's been open 10-15 years, but I doubt that really matters...
  20. jfwooster

jfwooster New Member

Has anyone seen this promo (waive the first year $395 fee) for the Business version of the Presidential Plus card?
  21. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

That is an outstanding deal. Is there an MP sticky that lists all the current credit card offerings (targetted and non-targetted)?

It would be nice to have this kind of info in one thread.;)
    PAinNY likes this.
  22. TXHolmes

TXHolmes Active Member

Howdy peeps, so I am a CO Plat, MP 1K and had a paid press club membership, I signed up for the PresPlus card in Nov and got a check for $395 from CO although I didn't see this targeted offer for first year free, I guess this is because I had a paid membership?

Also, after I paid attention and found out about the loss of the 25% bonus and PQM flex miles not counting toward 1K or MM status, I talked to chase and asked about downgrading to the OPP card and they said it was possible, but to wait a few more weeks as some of the details were being rehashed based on customer feedback... anyone else heard this?
    infamousdx likes this.
  23. hauteboy

hauteboy Active Member

I got the offer for the first-year free a month or so ago and just applied for the card. I lose my CO *G status this year so the free lounge access will be a nice perk..