Chase Sapphire Preferred Points Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by habsfan, Feb 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. habsfan

habsfan Active Member

Hi all,

An obvious question maybe...but to clarify, since Chase Sapphire Preferred gives 2x the points for travel, if a trip is booked through an Ultimate Rewards partner (such as Travelocity, which is offering "2 extra pts/$"), is that added to the base points? In other words, would booking airfare on Travelocity yield 4x the points?
  2. Scottrick
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

This is my understanding. You get spend bonuses for using the card in certain categories as well as portal bonuses for purchases made by clicking through UR.
    al613 and autolycus like this.
  3. kyunbit
    • Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

+1
  4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

The shopping portal doesn't even actually require that you use an Ultimate Rewards card for you to earn those points. You could theoretically book a flight through Travelocity using an Amex PRG card and get the 2x UR points plus 3x Amex MR points--assuming Amex correctly applies the 3x to airfare purchased through a site like Travelocity. I know Frequent Miler has said that he regularly uses his Amex PRG business card to make purchases through the UR mall and gets points from both.
  5. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

I know it is possible, but somehow it seems wrong. Just my 2c.
  6. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

This is correct, but note that using Travelocity (or Orbitz, or another) through the portal usually only yields the extra 2x points on the price of the ticket; fees and taxes don't earn extra points. This has been my experience for multiple portal purchases.

Of course, this slight modification doesn't stop me from changing my spending and currently going to Travelocity through the portal frequently for flights and hotels.
  7. Scottrick
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

No different than getting card bonuses and portal bonuses from using a Sapphire card in the UR portal. They're two separate programs. The UR portal is just like shopping through the MileagePlus portal or Ebates or something else. Each company gets commissions from the retailers and hands you a cut. The only catch about UR is that to get access to the portal you already have to have a Sapphire or other card that earns UR points (just like you need to be a MileagePlus member to use its portal). There's no particularly reason why you still have to use the Sapphire card when you complete the purchase.
    FrequentMiler, Mikus33 and autolycus like this.
  8. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Yep, you do need to be aware of the risk of this approach though: if points don't get correctly applied to your account, you might not be able to get Chase to help you, whereas if you use your Sapphire for the purchase they'll be able to see the transaction on your account and will give you the points. So, if you're risk averse, stick with the Sapphire Preferred. That being said, it is true that I use non Chase cards all the time and have never had a problem.
  9. habsfan

habsfan Active Member

I've used UR in the past with both Freedom and Sapphire, so would only use it with a Chase card anyway.
  10. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

I have also used the UR portal with non-UR cards on several occasions and had no problem with points posting. I am quite often working on a minimum spend for a specific card or two so it is nice to be able to get the bonus points through UR while still adding on to my minimum spends.
    LizzyDragon84 and autolycus like this.
  11. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

/bumpity bump just cause I think this is good info and was exactly what I was looking for.