Chicago Seminars October 12-14, 2012

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by ingy, Jan 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

• Original Member

ingy Silver Member

Welcome to the Chicago Seminars thread. Registration for the seminars themselves will begin on March 1st. See the link below. The registration this year is $85 which includes seminars, lunch and coffee breaks for both days

Registration is CLOSED. The Event is SOLD OUT

We Need Volunteers

Please see post #5 of this thread for volunteer opportunities

Confirmed Speakers to date:
    Mommy Points on US Airways Grand Slam
    Ben Schlappig on Mileage Runs
    Cara Kretz Itasoftware
    Chris Lopitino Expert Flyer
    Marshall Jackson MJonTravel
    Rick Ingersoll Frugal Travel Guy
    Brian Kelly The Points Guy
    John Nielsen fti
    Cliff Stratton dlouise37
    Dave Homyak. Rookie Bootcamp
    Dave (Pudding Guy) Phillips- Frequent Flyer Miles 101
    Randy Petersen
    Captain Denny Flanagan "Author"
    Greg Kane the Frequent Miler
    Hans Mast HansGolden

The schedule of events is in Post #4

Post #2 of this thread is live with a link to hotel reservations at our host hotel the Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village. Only reservations made through this link will be honored. The hotel will be a sell out again. Your reservation will be with a non refundable first night's deposit and non transferable.
    • Original Member

ingy Silver Member

Host Hotel Reservations

Registration Link

*Award Nights are not available nor are any other discounted rate. The only applicable rates are:
    $79 per night plus tax includes one breakfast coupon
    $89 per night plus tax includes two breakfast coupons

*Transportation is included in the room rate to/from O’Hare Airport as well as to/from our sister hotel, the Holiday Inn & Suites O’Hare

*Included in the seminar registration price is lunch and coffee breaks.

*Please note that the reservation must be guaranteed to a credit card and the first night is non refundable

*Through this link is the only method of confirming sleeping rooms. Once the Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village is full, we will supply a link to our overflow hotel, the Holiday Inn & Suites O’Hare.
    alohastephen, TravelMusing and dmel like this.
    • Original Member

ingy Silver Member

Overflow Hotel Reservations - Holiday Inn and Suites/Rosemont

Room Rate without Breakfast

Room Rate with two breakfasts
    alohastephen likes this.
    • Original Member

ingy Silver Member

Tenative Schedule subject to change:

Friday
    6:30-7:20 PM Rookie Bootcamp: with Dave Homyak
    7:30-8:30 Delta SkyPesos to Delta Gold: with John Nielsen OR
    Travel Technology with Cliff Stratton

Saturday
    7-8:15 Breakfast
    8:30-10
    Beginner: FF 101 Pudding Guy and Credit Cards for Newbies with Rick Ingersoll
    OR
    Advanced: Itasoftware and Expert Flyer with Cara Kreft and Chris Lopitino

10-10:15 AM Coffee Break

10:30 to Noon
    Beginner: Elite Status- Challenges and Fasttracks with
    MommyPoints and Amtrak Redemptions with Bikeguy
    OR
    Advanced: Captain Denny Flanagan Author

Noon to 1 PM Lunch

1-2:45 PM
    Beginners: Mileage Runs with Ben Schlappig
    OR
    Advanced: Transfers and Bonus Category Credit Cards with Brian Kelly

2:45 -3PM Coffee Break

3-5PM
    Beginners: Award Booking with Ben Schlappig
    OR
    Advanced: Moderated Airline Breakout Sessions with Geoffco (top tier status all 3 alliances)

5-6PM Meet the Speakers: Cash Bar/Hotel Lobby

6-730ish
    Advanced: Q and A Mileage Runs and Award Booking with Ben Schalippig and Steve Belkin
    OR
    The Cruising Crowd with Marshall Jackson

Sunday 7-8:30 Breakfast

8:30-10 AM Sponsors Workshop

10-10:15 AM Coffee Break

10:15-Noon
    Beginner: Belkin (Beaubo) as a Beginner
    or

Advanced: Hotel Breakout Session

Noon to 1PM Lunch

1-3PM
    Beginner: Gift Card Churning with Frequent Miler and Shopping Mall Bonanzas with Hans Golden
    or
    Advanced: Blogger Questions and Answers

3-4PM Randy Petersen State of the Industry
    alohastephen likes this.
    • Original Member

ingy Silver Member

Volunteers Needed

First off, thanks to all of you that volunteer to help with this years seminar. It is an all volunteer event and any excess proceeds are donated to charity at the end of the accounting.
    Here is where we need help:
    • Set Up. We’ll start setting up sponsor tables and building the easels for the display boards around 3PM on Friday afternoon. Contact Rick on FT by PM to Frugal Travel Guy if you can assist there.

• Registration: We need four individuals on Friday from say 6 to 10PM to help Howie with registration and four more on Saturday morning from 7 to 8:30 AM. Contact Howie by email.

• We need Michigan Apples — “to and fro” brought a terrific selection of Wisconsin apples last year and its time for some Michigan ones this year. If you are driving from Michigan for the seminars and can pick up about 8 bushels of different varieties that would be greatly appreciated. Send a private message on FlyerTalk to Frugal Travel Guy and of course we will be paying for the apples. Thanks

• Balima and legalalien have volunteered to be our local Chicago contacts and help with the purchase of local materials and getting the logos on to the display boards. Howie will be in contact as he has the logos. Would each of you touch base with the ThePointsGuy to see if he needs any help with the Saturday night cocktail event? PM on FT should work.

• Skiadcock is running the charity raffle again and she needs volunteers. You may contact her by PM on FlyerTalk at skiadcock to offer assistance with this very important job. Thanks.

• DLouise37 is again handling the projectors and set up of the PowerPoint presentations. I believe we have an assistant for him this year but if you can lend a hand there, I know he would appreciate the backup. Dlouise37 by FT PM for that one.

• Sponsors: Make sure Howie has your logo if he doesn’t already!

• Attention All Bloggers: One of the seminars is Ask the Bloggers and you are all welcome. I’ll need your name, blog name, and email address asap if you will be in attendance and want face time with your readers. I’m sure some of the questions will be quite interesting. As I don’t know how many will be there the format is still up in the air at this time. Get to me as soon as possible so I can get a head count. rick@frugaltravelguy.com will work for that one.

To all those attending and volunteering, thank you for making your event another success. Lots to learn, people to meet and fun to be had. If I missed anything send me a PM on FT at Frugal Travel Guy
    • Original Member

ingy Silver Member

Charity Raffle Information
    • Original Member

ingy Silver Member

All the Other Stuff
  1. Silver Springer Gold Member

Just tried to register and got messag "no rooms available for these criteria" and I clicked to the site through your link.
    YULtide likes this.
    • Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

It works this evening. I just reserved a room.
    • Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Can someone give the approximate start and end times of the event? Need to know which nights to book based on this information.

Thanks.....
    FrequentMiler likes this.
  2. TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

+1. I second this motion.
  3. TheScooter Active Member

I got same error also - I must have had some "cookie mess" with Priority Club profiling going on. I was succesful by using Google Chrome and opening up an "Incognito Session" - and then the link worked clean for reservations :)
    FrequentMiler likes this.
  4. bartla Silver Member

Booked. Coming all the way from Brussels, Belgium. Looking forward to meet you guys.
    Scott, k_malm, alohastephen and 3 others like this.
  5. FrequentMiler Gold Member

Booked! And, wishing we didn't have to wait 10 months...
    katstarr, travelingmore and bartla like this.
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

I'm booked. Excited to be going to my first get-together! (Too bad I can't visit when people are in Seattle for the OWMD, but it seems to be registered attendees only.)
    mommafrica and FrequentMiler like this.
  6. aaucello Silver Member

I'll be there! Just waiting on full details/schedule before booking
  7. OceanBreezes Gold Member

I am also booked. Had a great time last year and learned a lot. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
  8. a.khondee Active Member

Hotel is booked! I wanted to go in 2011 but just couldn't fit it into my schedule. I will be happy to finally meet everyone!
  9. ffI Silver Member

I will be there this time, I hope, schedule permitting. I have booked the room and flights.
    • Original Member

WanderLuster Silver Member

Had a great time last year, and looking forward to this year.

Now to try and figure out whether I'll want to be close to the action at the host hotel or if I'll be scrambling for the nights to keep status in my programs by October.
  10. seanco89 Member

I booked my room. Never done anything like this before. Excited to attend and gain some valuable knowledge.
    mommafrica, katstarr and Up&Away like this.
    • Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

The hotel is only coming up with smoking rooms at this point. I guess I'll miss this year's seminar.
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

I booked a queen, but it said for some reason that I wanted two doubles in my special requests section. I don't remember writing anything like that. Anyone else get a similar message?
    • Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Same situation. Hopefully non-smoking rooms will open up -- otherwise my allergies will probably dampen the fun factor!
  11. FrequentMiler Gold Member

Maybe it knows that you'll be bringing friends along. You just don't realize it yet ;)
    VeryGoodPoints and katstarr like this.