1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, October 28th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

2. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Costco’s Kirkland Olive Oil: the best-kept secret in the store

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Kalboz, May 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Costco’s Kirkland Signature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil may be the best-kept secret

2. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Fairway has some extremely good Oils/Balsamic Vinegar for very reasonable prices too.

3. Kalboz
    • Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Sorry for the repeated posts

Houston, we have a problem here ... Mods, please delete multiple postings! Thanks!

4. rwoman
    • Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

For to love Costco! ;)

uggboy, aptraveler, tondoleo and 2 others like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

We've no mods here. You'll need to send a Conversation to someone like pizzaman and ask them to make your change.

6. tondoleo
    • Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

I agree with you Kalboz. The Kirkland EVO is quite tasty.

7. Sweet Willie
    • Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Thanks for posting Kalboz & tondoleo for confirming. I've been waiting to go through our current EVO stash in our pantry before buying the Kirkland brand.

BTW, has anyone else heard the 'rule' of using EVO when the dish is savory & Canola when the dish is a sweet/dessert?
    I don't cook/make any sweets but was curious.

tondoleo, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  8. tondoleo
    • Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Hi SW. I don't know if it is a rule but I only use canola oil on the rare occasions when not using butter for a sweet dessert. EVO could overpower a sweet.

One more point re EVO. I have found the Kirkland to be the best value for EVO. However, in MIA Badia EVO is reasonably priced ($ 12.99 for 2 L) and for my palate better tasting than Kirkland. Kirkland is allegedly Italian olives while Badia is allegedly made from Spanish fruit. I don't know if you can find Badia where you live but you may want to give a try some time.

Enjoy the Kirkland. You should not be disappointed.

9. Sweet Willie
    • Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  10. euromannn
    • Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Costco sells a huge bottle 1.5 liters in a plastic container. Check the packaged and shelf life dates (if possible) at Costco as they store volume for months. Costco typically doesn't show packaged dates anymore as this was a process eliminated on all bakery products and I suspect all Kirlkland products in Costco 2 years ago on all Costco products.

Olive oil deteriorates due to (oxygen, sunlight, heat,) and time(age). Six months to a year maximum before losing all it's flavor, smell and color. Partial deterioration starts after opening then increases due to age, sunlight, heat.

Sometimes buying quanity is not the best option as Costco producing volume compromising quality in packaging and storage.

Helpful Hints:
    Before you buy: At the grocery store, reach for a bottle at the back of the shelf, where the oil is shielded from fluorescent light.

To store at home: Keep your oil in a low, cool, dark cupboard, or in the refrigerator if you use it infrequently―never next to the stove. If you buy oil in clear glass, wrap the bottle in foil when you get home, and keep it covered.

If you buy in bulk: Lugging home a liters or gallon-sized container? Do what they do in the Mediterranean: Pour some oil into a clean dark wine bottle fitted with a pouring spout.

11. Sweet Willie
    • Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

oops:eek:

I keep a small 8oz bottle next close to the stove & refill from a larger bottle kept in our basement pantry (dark & cool), so I suppose I'm half there:D

Thanks for the tips euromannn

12. TAHKUCT
    • Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

I do not believe that olive oil should be used for cooking.

Sweet Willie, tondoleo and Kalboz like this.
  13. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

This is only the second best kept secret. The best kept secret is the "bunga-bunga" room behind pet food.

paladin87, tondoleo and Kalboz like this.
  14. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

It is entirely a matter of whether you want your dish to taste like olive oil. If not, you're best advised to use a neutral oil such as canola, soy, corn, etc. I can't think of too many cases in which the flavor of olives would be desirable in a dessert, but I'm sure they exist.

With your cooking preferences, have you thought about changing your id to "Savoury Willie"? Just sayin' ;)

Sweet Willie, tondoleo and Kalboz like this.
  15. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

I use huge quantities of olive oil when cooking. Not the very good stuff, but the stuff I buy three litres at a time at Fairway.

It's true that it's not the same after cooking as it is "raw", but it's still quite different from plain old vegetable oil and imparts flavor and mouth feel to the resulting dish.

16. tondoleo
    • Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Kalboz and Sweet Willie like this.
  17. euromannn
    • Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Olive oil for cooking??? Ask the CHEF's WHY and WHEN to USE!!!
    Olive oil burns at high temperatures affecting the taste of the food.

Cooking Oil Temperatures and Proper Usage

Different oils have different uses, and each performs best within a certain range of temperatures. Some are made for high heat cooking, while others have intense flavors that are best enjoyed by drizzling directly on to food. The guide below shows the smoke point for each type of oil.

SMOKE POINTAn oil’s ‘smoke point’ indicates how high a heat the oil can take before, literally, beginning to smoke. When oil smokes, it releases carcinogens into the air and free radicals within the oil. For the healthiest approach, discard any oil that has gone beyond its smoke point, and wipe the pan clean with paper towels before starting over. All oils are refined except where designated with an asterisk.

All Purpose Cooking: Oils with a high ‘smoke point’ are ideal for sautéing, frying and other high heat applications.
    (Name & Smoke Point)
    Avocado 510°F
    Almond 495°F
    Apricot Kernel 495°F
    Canola (Super High Heat) 460°F
    Safflower (Super High Heat) 460°F
    Sunflower 460°F
    Palm Fruit 450°F
    Safflower, High Oleic 445°F
    Sesame 445°F
    Baking & Sautéing: Oils with a medium-high ‘smoke point’ are best for sautéing at medium-high heat or, because of their neutral flavor, for baking.
    (Name & Smoke Point)
    Canola 425°F
    Grapeseed 425°F
    Walnut 400°F
    Safflower, High Oleic 390°F
    Coconut 365°F
    Soy 360°F
    Light Sautéing & Sauces: Medium heat oils normally have fuller flavors, making them ideal for sauces and salad dressings, or for sautéing at medium heat where the oil’s flavor is intended as an integral part of the finished dish.
    (Name & Smoke Point)
    Sesame 350°F
    Peanut 350°F
    Toasted Sesame 350°F
    Olive 325°F
    Corn 320°F
    Coconut 280°F
    Nutriment: These highly nutritious oils with low ‘smoke points’ have such rich, robust flavor and fragile structure that they’re best poured directly onto a finished dish, or blended into a dressing, simple sauce or just taken directly.
    (Name & Smoke Point)
    Borage 225°F
    Evening Primrose 225°F
    Flax Oil 225°F
    Enriched Flax Oil 225°F
    Ultra Enriched Flax Oil 225°F
    Wheat Germ 225°F

18. paladin87
    • Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

All this time I have been buying this incredible value olive oil at Costco and never realized what a deal it was.

Kalboz likes this.
  19. TAHKUCT
    • Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Thanks for sharing

20. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

When I'm in the kitchen, there's only one chef! :cool:

I don't use olive oil for frying (although in some cases I will add about 20% olive oil to the fry oil). But for other kinds of cooking in which olive oil taste and texture are desirable, there's nothing wrong (except, potentially, the expense) with using it (as actually stated in the material you quoted).

Also, I think some of the information in your quoted article is wrong. Peanut oil, for instance, is generally considered to have one of the highest flash points of all oils and is one of the go-to oils for high temperature frying.

21. euromannn
    • Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

when you quote temperatures as HIGH...you should define the range as the temp's are noted above.

22. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Well, in my head I categorize them as frying oils, cooking oils, and eating oils (as well as by their flavors and viscosity) since I rarely cook with a thermometer. But I just checked, and (refined) peanut oil smokes at 450 degrees.

23. euromannn
    • Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Now you have ambiguity as you can ONLY achieve peanut oil at 450F with refined oil.
    Peanut oil: Unrefined: 320°F: 160°C: Peanut oil: Refined: 450°F

24. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

I'm 99% certain that you can only buy unrefined peanut oil in very small bottles in health food stores. Standard peanut oil used for cooking is always refined. Certainly, experience tells us that peanut and olive oil do not differ in their smoke points by only 25 degrees Fahrenheit.

Plus, neither smoke point (320 or 450 degrees ) matches the 350 from the original material you quoted.

25. euromannn
    • Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Then I guess you'll need to check the label each time you buy of each variety of oil to ensure it matches the correct temperature.

TAHKUCT likes this.