David Cameron paves the way for new London airport

Discussion in 'LHR/LGW/LCY/LTN/STN | London Area Airports' started by rwoman, Jan 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    • Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

uggboy likes this.
  2. rwoman
    • Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Let's hope they do the right thing and get on with it!

rwoman likes this.
  4. Bob Smolinsky
    • Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Another one? Really? Poor past planning imho making a relative standard large city needing 4 major airports.

rwoman likes this.
  5. canucklehead
    • Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Wow! £50B and capable of handling 150M passenger/yr and a high speed rail line to boot! If nothing, it is ambitious and meant to challenge the other major hubs in Europe. Now about those carbon and other air taxes....

rwoman likes this.
  6. rwoman
    • Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

One thing I hate about living in the UK is APD...:mad:

Skye1 and canucklehead like this.
  7. rwoman
    • Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Is it past problems, or present day reluctance to allow expansion? I guess, a combination of both...:confused:

8. rwoman
    • Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Airline cost blow for "Boris Island"

Certainly reduces the appeal of another airport...

canucklehead likes this.
  9. Skye1
    • Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Considering how long it takes the UK government to stop talking & start doing, I'm thinking it'll be a LOOONG time before the first commercial flight lands at "Boris Island".

Inadequate planning might have created this mess, but all the current dithering isn't going to fix it. The UK is the stalled car on the side of the motorway whilst the others (other cities/airports in europe) are racing on ahead.

I'm beginning to look at Amsterdam and Dusseldorf as London's "other" airports....

And, the equally stupid departure taxes aren't helping, either.

I don't envy those living under the parade of 747's in southwest London, but perhaps this prohibited third runway, or using the RAF base about to be closed, etc. may indeed be the sadly optimal way of making the best out of a bad situation.