1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Monday, December 22nd at 11:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 2 hours.

Does the Mileage Plan Shopping Mall still exist?

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by miketown, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. miketown
    • Original Member

miketown Silver Member

I usually keep my Mileage Plan balance active via purchases through the shopping portal. But it's been a while.

Is it down? I get an error going to http://mileageplanshopping.com/

There is no reference to it on the AlaskaAir site. Is it Gone?

2. jfhscott
    • Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

If it is gone, I would never miss it. Simply, the miles/dollar spent for just about every merchant is woefully lower than that offered in other "mileage malls".

It is, as OP indicates, useful for the maintenance of a Mileage Plan balance when I have had long periods with no AS travel.

3. iolaire
    • Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

4. LETTERBOY
    • Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

On FT, there's a thread that discusses this, and it's gone. It's not a really big deal to me, but I did think it was useful to get a few extra miles for stuff that I'd end up buying anyway.

5. wombat18
    • Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

I liked it for 'topping up' my miles ... when combined with something like evreward.com you could see how good a deal the miles from mileageplanshopping.com were (or were not).

It appears that Alaska is looking for a new vendor to operate the mall. The question is what happens to miles that you earned, but haven't posted ... will they post?

6. todd-r
    • Original Member

todd-r Active Member

7. wombat18
    • Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

I just had some advantex miles post, from purchases in late December!

8. The Missy
    • Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

There should be a new vendor for Mileage Plan shopping within the next couple of months

9. beckoa
    • Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Hope they can add a few other vendors.... the last one seemed to have a decent array- but not enough tech oriented ones...

kayet and jackal like this.
  10. kayet
    • Original Member

kayet Gold Member

Oh good! Haven't tried to use it in a while, but it was always my go-to for online purchases. I just discovered it was gone yesterday when friends were trying to convince someone to use their CO accounts to make a big online purchase and I pointed out that she should use Mileage Plan shopping since she flies AS... alas they got their CO points and she got nothing. [​IMG]

Exiled in Express and Chimpy like this.
  11. Exiled in Express
    • Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

CO has been the benefactor of this absence for my spending as well. Need to get the balance up to 5k and turn them into Amtrak points before they are enhanced into UA miles.

alphaeagle, kayet and jackal like this.
  12. Exiled in Express
    • Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

I am hoping it is a new skin on the AAdvantage mall engine, lots of online options and bricks and mortar stores. I don't visit Sallee Beauty Supply and you can only order so much Domino's but options are good.

kayet likes this.
  13. wombat18
    • Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

All I want for Christmas is amazon as a Mileage Plan vendor! I mean, come on, its a Seattle thing, right? Right?

Golfingboy and jackal like this.
  14. AKGUY
    • Original Member

AKGUY Silver Member

I agree. We need better stuff to spend our money on.

15. jackal
    • Original Member

jackal Gold Member

I would <3 this to the max, but AFAIK, Amazon doesn't participate in any sort of rewards program anywhere.

And to be honest, I doubt they need to. They already have the name recognition and attract customers without needing to give anything away. Between Costco and Amazon (and the much rarer B&N.com purchase), I haven't paid full retail for a book in probably 10 years.

16. Golfingboy
    • Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

That would be cool and amazing!!! Clever idea... AS can make this an AS exclusive by restricting Amazon from entering into contracts with other airlines for specific time length... I know other airlines would be fumbling over this to make this happen if AS pulls it off :D

kayet likes this.
  17. alphaeagle
    • Original Member

alphaeagle Silver Member

Somewhat unrelated, but, here is free Amazon Prime membership for "students:" http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info Unfortunately doesn't do much for Alaskan's as free two day shipping doesn't apply to Alaska, or Hawaii. I'm not aware of any other sites that offer something like that, or even every-day free shipping, even to Alaska, at $25 or more.

They do have an affiliate program though, if you click on this link: Amazon.com and buy something, I will get a certain % of whatever you buy. So I'm not sure why they don't allow any rewards programs, unless if the commission they offer through my type of link is much less then what they offer through Mileage Plan vendor link.

jackal likes this.
  18. beckoa
    • Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

The US Mint offers free 2nd day air mail for certain products if you meet spend requirements [​IMG]

alphaeagle and jackal like this.
  19. jackal
    • Original Member

jackal Gold Member

I've always wondered if the mileage malls actually strike agreements directly with the vendors or if they simply take the vendors' existing affiliate programs, buy miles from the airline in bulk, and then put the two together to give you some miles while keeping a small cut of the affiliate spiff for themselves...

alphaeagle likes this.
  20. alphaeagle
    • Original Member

alphaeagle Silver Member

Speaking of affiliate programs, ebates.com offers $1 for going through them when buying tickets on AlaskaAir.com. I shamelessly put in a referral link to Ebates, but I believe you will get a $5 bonus for getting referred. $1 isn't a ton of money, and I keep forgetting to do it, but still a $1 is a $1.

21. miketown
    • Original Member

miketown Silver Member

Any update on this? ;)

22. LETTERBOY
    • Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

I've established a BA Executive Club account, and now use that for purchases that I would've used the AS shopping mall for. Just hope that when I book a BA flight now, I don't have problems crediting it to my AS account. :)

23. The Missy
    • Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

You know...I haven't heard anything. I'll see if I can find out whats going on

miketown likes this.
  24. nomdeguerre0850

nomdeguerre0850 New Member

Just joined the forum to find out the answer to this. Seems it's going to be tough to keep the account active if you have no travel plans in the immediate future.

25. dgreen12
    • Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

There's always the dining program or e-miles to get a few miles here and there.

I've got all my credit cards registered in the dining program. There are a handful of restaurants registered in the Spokane area (maybe 10-15 --- the vast majority not worthy of a visit), but when eating out of town, it's always a pleasant surprise to come back home and discover some miles have posted.