Domestic airport lounges

Discussion in 'NRT/HND/KIX/ITM/CTS/FUK | Japan Regional Airports' started by DoubleJ, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DoubleJ
    • Original Member

DoubleJ Gold Member

My own experience with many domestic lounges (such as the IASS Executive Lounges at NRT or the Airport Lounges at HND) is while they are not perhaps as well-appointed as most airline-sponsored lounges, especially those at the international airports, they are readily available at most domestic airports in Japan, and one usually only needs a Japanese-issued gold card or above for free access.

I'm hoping we can share what information and experiences we've had at these domestic lounges, such as the quality/atmophere of the lounge, what amenities are offered, and what is required for access to each. Thanks!

2. armagebedar
    • Original Member

armagebedar Silver Member

I was in the CTS "Super Lounge" on Monday, having entered with my Mitsubishi UFJ Nicos gold card. This is a temporary lounge until they finish some airport construction works in June.

I didn't have long to look around but there were the usual soft drink and coffee machines. There was also bottled beer and some other alcohol available for sale. The non-smoking seating area was small -- around 30 seats or so. I didn't visit the smoking area, but judging by the map it looked about as large.

For a temporary lounge the ambience wasn't bad -- the large windows look out onto the tarmac, and the color scheme was in tones of brown wood.

DoubleJ likes this.
  3. sendaiben
    • Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

I find the business lounges (enter with gold CC or by paying fee) are functional, with quiet comfortable seating, newspapers and magazines, sometimes computers, and soft drinks.

The airline lounges (domestic JAL and ANA) are as above, but with some alchohol and snacks (and a better atmosphere, IMO so far).

DoubleJ likes this.
  4. DoubleJ
    • Original Member

DoubleJ Gold Member

The two IASS lounges at NRT(one in the 1st Terminal and one in the 2nd Terminal) besides a place to sit (and I have yet to find them really crowded like some of the airline lounges, but it could be I have just lucked out timewise), offer free soft drinks, one free alcoholic drink, some reading materials, but alas no food. Both allow you to bring a guest for a 1,050 yen fee. I also use my Mitsubishi gold card for access.

cockpitvisit and armagebedar like this.
  5. joejones
    • Original Member

joejones Silver Member

I mentioned this on the other site previously, but Rakuten Platinum Card is the way to go for lounges -- it includes access to all the domestic CC lounges AND the free version of Priority Pass, which gets you into an assortment of airline lounges around the world, including the KE lounges at NRT and KIX.

Just make sure to use a throwaway or filterable email address, because they will send you tons of spam.

DoubleJ likes this.
  6. DoubleJ
    • Original Member

DoubleJ Gold Member

Sounds good. It may overlap a bit what I already have, but if the Priority Pass plan is the Prestige plan [Standard (pay per visit), Standard Plus (pay after 10 free), or Prestige (all free)] then I will definitely be looking into this. Thanks!

As for the Rakuten spam, no worries, Gmail zaps that stuff pretty well. I use Rakuten travel a bit, so I get all their spam already!

(Is that you, Mabo Joe?)

cockpitvisit likes this.
  7. joejones
    • Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Rakuten is not entirely clear about what type of membership it is, nor do I fully understand after receiving the card and the materials. I haven't had a chance to use the PP yet due to hostile flying patterns taking me through PP lounge-free airports and terminals.

However, this CC review site (Japanese) claims that it is the 100% free Prestige membership which ordinarily costs $399 by itself, and the marketing materials say "free overseas lounge access" without going into details or limitations (other than that you have to pay for guests and sometimes for alcohol).

8. DoubleJ
    • Original Member

DoubleJ Gold Member

It appears there is a 10,000+ Rakuten point bonus for signing up for the card by February 17th. About equal in value to the annual fee for the card.

cockpitvisit likes this.
  9. joejones
    • Original Member

joejones Silver Member

I have gotten into the habit of buying drinks (beer, wine, sparkling water) by the case on Rakuten. It's cheaper than buying them at the store, there's no need to carry them home, and with the periodic promos on Rakuten you can often get multiple NH miles per yen on the purchase. Recently, for instance, I bought a bunch of Perrier at 65 yen a can, getting 5x points on the purchase plus Rakuten points for a total of 3 NH mi / 100 JPY.

10. DoubleJ
    • Original Member

DoubleJ Gold Member

About the only things I buy on Rakuten shopping is cosmetics that my daughter requests. The website kills my eyes with all the flashing colors, and the millions of words of text on one page doesn't help either. The travel section is much better.
    3 NH miles per yen spent? Not per 100 yen spent?

cockpitvisit likes this.
  11. joejones
    • Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Sorry, fixed.