1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Family of four stranded at airport for six days

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Aug 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

|| Family of four stranded at airport for six days ||

:(

Koschmar and sobore like this.
  2. legalalien
    • Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Ouch. That's all I can say.

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

It's very sad.

4. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Keep flying with a family on buddy passes and no money, that's what happens. Everything takes priority over buddy passes, they don't get confirmed seats until everyone else is checked-in and boarded. The employee who gave these buddy passes out either wasn't clear about this or the family disregarded the warning and decided to use a bunch at once. ( from what I understand it is hard enough to use 1 at SLC to commute eastbound.)

Sad truth is said employee will probably face discipline/lost privileges over this event due to the negative publicity that in no way is the airlines fault.

5. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

I was surprised that United Airlines helped the family to get a motel room, despite they have flown on buddy passes with JetBlue.:confused:

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  6. boondr

boondr Gold Member

No doubt, I suspect it was a local employees/supervisor that went out on a limb and gave out a voucher of some sort under the hope of generating good publicity. Although it seems to worked, I think it was just as likely to cause the average half paying attention news listener/reader to believe it was UA that was causing this " horrible" thing to happen to the family and it took them a few days to offer a hotel voucher.

Mikus33, BuckleandBoots and uggboy like this.
  7. sobore
    • Original Member

sobore Gold Member

:( How does one stay composed for that long? I would have lost it!

thegrailer and uggboy like this.
  8. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Me too! [ especially with as good of no help available, only United and a donor came to the rescue ] What about JetBlue here?

thegrailer likes this.
  9. thegrailer
    • Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Indeed. [my face after about a 30 second delay] :mad:

/jk

AC baggage issues at YYZ had me there for 8 plus hours and I was going nuts more from boredom than from having to deal with AC. What does a family of 4 do all day at SLC?

uggboy likes this.
  10. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

This was hardly their choice isn't it?

11. SC Flier
    • Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

uggboy likes this.
  12. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

When the son is hungry and even vomits?

SC Flier likes this.
  13. Mark
    • Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

I guess one family wasn't enough for JetBlue's praised "corporate social responsibility" to kick in. Glad it lasted no longer than it did though... Kudos to UA for helping out with the room.

uggboy likes this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    • Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

What about them? What are they supposed to do? Bump paying passengers so that someone who got buddy passes can fly?

The agents told them that there was no way they'd clear on to the flights and they refused to leave, just in case. And that's on top of trying to get 4 seats together ex-SLC which is damn near impossible even in the best circumstances.

15. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Indeed, Kudos to UA for helping them and paying for their room and meh....to JetBlue at least IMHO. Kudos also to the donor who helped them to eventually get their tickets and they could fly out to Virginia.

16. boondr

boondr Gold Member

JetBlue had no obligation to help. These parents are borderline negligent, traveling without any backup plan/money on a method that is far less reliable than saver award travel on the stingiest airline. Poor kids, no wonder there are threads about banning kids on airplanes, they don't even have a chance when their parents can't even take responsibility for their idiocy.

I have pilot friends that say "you give buddy passes to people you don't like"

17. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

A little help just like UA and the donor have done for the family would go a long way, JetBlue has clearly shown they playing by the book, their book that is! I wasn't looking for default answers here, only common sense.

FlyingBear likes this.
  18. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

This wouldn't be one of my friends.

19. Mark
    • Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

It was definitely on the family for what happened, but as a major airline you have to realize that this is a bad situation and it could come back with negative light via the press (you know how they cover stories like this).

That said, I doubt they needed seats all together, but Jetblue should have "bought" some tickets to get them back even if it were for the good publicity.

SC Flier and uggboy like this.
  20. SC Flier
    • Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

uggboy and Koschmar like this.
  21. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

......and now at least JetBlue gets the publicity outcry they brought upon themselves IMHO.

22. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

SC Flier likes this.
  23. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

24. boondr

boondr Gold Member

That's true, regardless of the circumstances JBU had to realize as a company no good would arise from news cameras running around the terminal. However we only have one side of the story, maybe JBU said "we have 2 seats on this flight and two seats on tonight's flight" and the family refused to be split up.

Mikus33 and uggboy like this.
  25. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

True, but unlikely IMHO. Would be nice to hear what JetBlue has to say about this case.