1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, July 22th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you in advance for your understanding.

Forum Lounge Thread for US

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Sean Colahan, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jupper
    • Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Don't think US, or the other legacies, will really match AA. I believe it's only till the end of January, so not of much use to really garner having people book the whole Q1 of 2012...
  2. sc801
    • Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

US is really stepping up some of the bennies for Preferreds...fewer miles needed for some upgrades (is it going to be distance based, I wonder?)....no fees for award booking....and waiving the mileage upgrade fee (would that be for transatlantic flights too?). Will be interesting to see own this works.
    I don't think we have one of the new upgraded suite planes for our trip to Manchester in two weeks though :(
    SC Flier likes this.
  3. jupper
    • Original Member

jupper Silver Member

I hope they are able to create a programme that will hold its own. But due to the cuts and other issues from the past I'm not going to jump back from CO/UA anytime soon though. I do hope that for the employees the situation also improves, they are the ones that make or break the experience after all...
    sc801 likes this.
  4. kwidhalm
    • Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

Just an FYI, but I just cleared the Business Class upgrade from SFO-HKG!!!!!!! Upper deck baby!!!!! YAY! Although everyone is as surprised as I am ! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!! See ya in Asia!

K
    Sean Colahan and jupper like this.
  5. jupper
    • Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Erm, already using those drinkchits ? :D
  6. kwidhalm
    • Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

Why would I need them in First and Business?
    jupper and The Boat like this.
  7. The Boat
    • Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

For double shots? Remember, it is US
    kwidhalm likes this.
  8. jupper
    • Original Member

jupper Silver Member

I was referring to pre-flight use, given the ecstatic cheer in the post... :)
  9. kwidhalm
    • Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

Well, I know that I don't except UACO drink chits at my house so...............
  10. kwidhalm
    • Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

Oh no darlin'...........I'm not flying US! :)
    The Boat likes this.
  11. The Boat
    • Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Is it that lovely airline based out of Atlanta?
    kwidhalm likes this.
  12. kwidhalm
    • Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

I am flying UACO. :) I'm in F from BOS-SFO and then Business from SFO-HKG. :) Yippee!!! (And NO I have not been drinking...........just me being happy about my upgrade and the fact that I'm one day closer to take-off). :) Although a shot of Bailey's in my mug might be a good thing. Hehehehehehehe.....
    jupper and The Boat like this.
  13. The Boat
    • Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Are you going to be in HKG for a while, since I am in the area--albeit I am returning from NOU for 2 days, then going with my parentals on a MR (Tour of Asia, part 2)
    kwidhalm likes this.
  14. kwidhalm
    • Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

I am returning to the States on 1/8 but my friend Catgirl will be there for another week. If you are there the same time that I am let's definitely meet up for a drink!!!! ;)
  15. JetsettingEric
    • Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

AA is taking away Glenlivet from their flights. Glenlivet is one of the reasons why I fly US. It's not my favorite single malt, but by far better than what the other domestic airlines serve. The only time where I ran close to running out on US, is on a shuttle flight where we had a long ground delay and my party of 4 drank several rounds of doubles. FA got an A&B.
  16. jupper
    • Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Will you be let back in ? :D

I once was asked to explain why I used my EU creditcard style ID instead of my passport at immigration (at AMS that usually entails: hi, smile, look, have a nice day), until the trainee was smacked on the head by his supervisor saying he should stick to the rules and that my answer of being lazy was perfectly fine. :)
    The Boat likes this.
  17. jupper
    • Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Business as usual, yeah right... :(

The 18+ year versions are much better, but for more commonly available single malts it's one of the better options.
    (and I'm not really a scotch-drinker yet, need another decade of life to fully acquire the taste and appreciation I think)
  18. The Boat
    • Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

That's like the guy using the scanned image of his Canadian Passport on his iPad to enter the US...

And, is anyone going to be going to MAD next week as well as PHX in early February?
  19. DeacFlyer1
    • Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Since nobody has posted in this thread in over a month, I figured I'd BTT it with a little travel tale from last week. Had to fly LAS-CLT, but one option allowed me to book LAS-PHL-BOS-CLT (it was cheaper!), so of course, I couldn't pass up the extra miles! My original itinerary was something like arrive in PHL 6:10am-ish, depart for BOS at 7:15am, arrive BOS 8:30ish, and depart for CLT at 9:45am. So plenty of time to make connections if something was delayed, but nothing too long either.

However, the flight from LAS landed a few minutes early, and I knew there was a 6:15 to BOS. That gate was literally 30 feet from my arriving gate, so I walked off the plane, got a new BP, and walked onto the plane to BOS as they were finishing boarding. My feet were literally on the ground in PHL for about 90 seconds. Same story in BOS...got off that plane, saw the earlier CLT flight was boarding, got a new BP, and boarded three minutes later. In the terminal in BOS for no more than 5 minutes.

So all-in-all, a pretty efficient little mileage run on the end of a work trip...a couple extra flights with essentially zero connection time, getting home earlier than expected...it was perfect!
    Sean Colahan likes this.
  20. Sean Colahan
    • Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

I have a similar routing which saved me $100. Booking BOS-SLC first weekend in March (the weekend they start CLT-SLC-CLT service) so I would have to connect in PHX on outbound, but I was able to book the SLC-CLT-BOS on the return. On the outbound it was substantially cheaper to fly BOS-PHL-LAX-PHL-SLC than it was to go BOS-PHX-SLC. I LOVE airline pricing!
  21. ghall3

ghall3 Active Member

Newbie question, how do you book those extra legs? When I book flights online it gives multiple options but none that seem to work out like those last two stories...
  22. Sean Colahan
    • Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

I actually booked this by doing a multi-city search. I did a BOS-LAX search (well I actually searched all west coast cities), and when I came upon LAX I did an LAX-SLC search.
    The Boat likes this.
  23. Sean Colahan
    • Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

US has pretty good fares to major wet coast cities (SAN, LAX, and SFO) and I find them good to do MR's through. I did a DEN-PHL-SAN-PHL-IAH-PHL-PVD run after Star Mega DO 3 which priced out cheaper than DEN-CLT-PVD. (For that route I booked the following DEN-SAN, SAN-IAH, IAH-PVD.) Let me know if I can offer you any more help.
  24. Sean Colahan
    • Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

BTW...Welcome to MilePoint:)
  25. The Boat
    • Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

But with continental.com, every time that I put in PVD-SNA/LAX, it keeps on throwing out 2 stop itineraries. Now if only CO (because we all know where united.bomb is going) would get the hint and always default to 2-stop. For example, tomorrow, I'm doing PVD-IAD-LAX-PHX.
    Sean Colahan likes this.