1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Frequent Flyer Fee for Alamo?

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by Albert, Mar 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Albert
    • Original Member

Albert Silver Member

I don't rent cars frequently, but was surprised to be told that I would have to pay a fee to add a FF number to my car rental. Is that something that's been around for a while?

2. jackal
    • Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Yes, it started several years ago with some agencies and then others added it, too. I don't recall exactly when Alamo added it, but it's virtually universal in the rental industry now.

Collecting credit with foreign airlines or non-airline loyalty programs (hotels, Amtrak, etc.) is one way around it, as the fees are typically charged for domestic U.S. airlines only. However, I can't say off the top of my head which non-airline programs Alamo partners with.

Do note that the surcharge generally makes earning miles not a good value, as you can often buy an equivalent number of miles directly from the airline for a comparable rate. With the surcharge, I would not bother collecting frequent flyer miles without some sort of bonus promotion (triple miles, 2,000 extra miles, etc.).

2soonold likes this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    • Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Alamo's minimums with US are 500 miles with the right code (1,000 isn't uncommon for a weekend rental), and a $0.75/day FF charge. For instance, on my 3 day Alamo rental, I will pay $2.25 for 1,000 US miles using this code.

If you know where I can buy US miles for .225 cents per mile, sign me up. I would be able to buy 90,000 miles (a trip to Hong Kong in business with Europe stopover) for around $200 at that rate. ;)

So, like anything, there are some deals where the math works, and some where it does not.

2soonold likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

I sometimes use the 50-100 miles from a rental to keep a dormant account somewhere alive.

billydee and 2soonold like this.
  5. 2soonold
    • Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

With me, it's that I'm gonna have to rent the car anyway, whether or not I get miles/points. So, I try to find the best ff code/deals for miles/points. It is almost never worth it to me to rent without miles/points. And, a good promo code can easily get me to forgo my preferred rental car company.;)

eponymous_coward likes this.
  6. eponymous_coward
    • Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

I agree- or. conversely, if I can find an excellent rate where the miles go somewhere else than where I usually accumulate, but I get a nice chunk of them, I will do that. Until RR 2.0 :( I was regularly grabbing whatever best deal I could that offered 4x Rapid Rewards, and turning those into free WN flights, with an effective rebate of $30 or so on the rental. Sweeeeet. I don't generally fly a lot on WN, but I will consider them to places like Vegas... and I don't mind flying on them for free as a rebate for renting cars.

7. jayce23

jayce23 Member

I usually see a fee of less than a dollar over a three day trip and get about 150 Delta Skymiles. I always pay the fee but always try to recalculate it without a FF number just to make sure. Only takes a minute.

8. iolaire
    • Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

I did an Alamo rental in SEA for two days in June (with discover america certificate) paid $1.50 for miles and ended up with 100 Alaska Air miles. I probably should have looked around a bit to find a better value with another program...