Gearing Up for a Churn--Thoughts? Tips?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by mrx900, Sep 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

• Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

With the news of the Chase United Explorer card available to everyone with the bonus 60K bonus, I have marked these for the churn:

USAir MasterCard World Elite (barclays)......40,000 miles after 1st use
    Chase INK Business VISA (chase)...............50,000 UR points
    United Explorer VISA (chase).........................60,000 miles
    AAdvantage VISA (citibank)............................75,000 miles
    AAdvantage BUSINESS VISA (citibank).........75,000 miles

I do have a USAir Mastercard already, and currently hold ONE Chase card (Sappphire Preferred), and TWO CITI ThankYou cards (VISA & Amex)...

would like to get your thoughts on my plan......ideas? tips? :)
    Kalboz likes this.
    • Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Looking good. If you are doing it for the bonuses, you can add a couple hotel cards (Hilton Amex for example).
    Kalboz likes this.
    • Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

I have the Hilton Amex Surpass card already---(screwed up by converting my old Delta SkyMiles card)....perhaps a CITI HHonors VISA? but then again, Im already aiming for the AAdvantage cards...
    Kalboz likes this.
  1. KathInJax Silver Member

Why don't you apply for the Citi Amex personal instead of the business one. You can apply for the business on 65 days later (according to TOBB). The spend on the AMEX is the same as the VISA business, as the $1500 link seems to no longer work. I applied for both of the personal cards yesterday in 2 different browsers and it worked great.

The US Airways card has the same bonus for both the Premier and the Platinum. The only difference that I can find between the 2 of them is that the Platinum reports your credit limit and the Premier does not.

Will Chase let you have 2 cards in the same day?
    Kalboz likes this.
    • Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

People are saying no, but I've had that happen before and will find out experimentally next week.
    Kalboz likes this.
    • Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Yes, most are telling me to do just that, so I will follow.....and DOH! i just noticed that $1500 link is dead...so no go for that one... thanks for your input btw
    Kalboz and KathInJax like this.
    • Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Most people who apply for two Chase cards on the same day get one denial.YMMV. I advise you to be clear of which one you want the most and apply for that one first.
    Kalboz, mrx900 and KathInJax like this.
    • Original Member

FlashBack Silver Member

You can get three Chase cards at one time. Use the three browser method. This increases your chances on getting all three and only one inquire.
    Kalboz likes this.
    • Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Just curious, have you had any Citi AAdvantage cards before?
    Kalboz likes this.
    • Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Yes....2009
    Kalboz likes this.
    • Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

That may be cutting it close...when in 2009 exactly? Otherwise, looks like a great list!
    Kalboz likes this.
    • Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Depends more on when he cancelled the card no?
    Kalboz, mrx900 and JohnDeere19 like this.
    • Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Correct, when in 2009 did you cancel?

Or so I thought...
    Kalboz and mrx900 like this.
    • Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

No--i believe it depends on when you got approved...not canceled. I know this is a fact, because I applied for my wife and and she got it...and she was last approved in 2009....but she had canceled in 2010.....she just got the cards in July 2011 (CITI AA Visa + CITI AA Biz VISA)
    Kalboz and JohnDeere19 like this.
    • Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Interesting, I know it's a very YMMV situation, but I didn't realize they were approving this close together.
    Kalboz likes this.
    • Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

it is YMMV...so I will report back here on this thread MY results hehe...hopefully I will score them before they yank it out....Malaysia Airlines is joining OneWorld and I'd like to fly them in F to KUL.
    Kalboz and JohnDeere19 like this.
    • Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

It is when you applied, not when you cancel. I have been approved for Citi AA cards while holding existing cards. Many other people have been, too. If your last application was 18 months ago or earlier, then you have a good chance of approval.
    Kalboz likes this.
    • Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Choice and Wyndham credit cards, issued by Barclays, could be in your future.

:)
    Jett Rink
    Kalboz, miles and smiles and mrx900 like this.
  2. Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Looks like a good list!

As others have pointed out, you may want to get the AMEX and Visa AA cards at the same time. If it has been 18+ months since your last Citi AA approval date, you have a good chance of getting both if you apply for them at the same time using the 2 browser trick.

If you apply for more than 1 Chase card you will most likely be denied, but you could call in to the reconsideration line and get approved for the other card, if you haven't got too many Chase cards and can convince the rep why you need the new cards. However, I wouldn't count on getting approved for 2 Chase cards at the same time.

I'm not sure if you can get the bonus again since you already have the US Air MasterCard, but would love to learn if it is churnable or not. How long have you had the US Air MC for?

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Kalboz likes this.
    • Original Member

skit53 Silver Member

Actually, let me open this up to everyone... Which links are people using for the Citi AA 75k VISA & AMEX sign up offers?

Thanks. All this talk is making me gear up also.
  3. KathInJax Silver Member

• Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

Wow so based on that #2 post the citi AA biz offer maybe toast!? anyone have more data points on that?

from what i have seen with chase and their cracking down they might and can give you a hard time about 2 new cards at same time, even with excellent credit. and you are likely to get delayed in approval and have to call the reconsider number....so have good excuses, like, "i need a chase biz card" or "i need a hotel card" etc....have a good excuse for wanting the card (good by their philosophies).
    • Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

i just did a churn:
    Amex new gold biz -instant approval
    citi hhonors 40k - instant approval
    citi thank you 50k - pending...i think i got a letter in mail aprroving...gotta check that
    chase marriott 50k - pended, then approved on reconsider line
    chase ink biz 50k- pended, then "instant" approval on reconsider line

note the above on marriott.....then i get a letter in mail today stating that denied the marriott for too many inquiries.
    for reference: in past 1.5 year i had applied and received.....Chase UA visa, CO Onepassplus MC, then the the UR visa, then the BA visa, then the Southwest.
    i have excellent credit, no baddies, no late payments, and make solid 6 figure income and always pay in full every month and never carry a balance.
    i had to call the chase reconsider line and the woman drilled me, this took much longer than i thought it would. I offered the credit line exchange, 5k here and 5k there (reduce the BA credit line from 10k to $5k in order to put credit on marriott), i reviewed my loyalty and credit history. they REALLY drilled hard. they looked aagain at my Credit report while i held.
    she asked why i had so many other cards...(my biz cards and my AMEX and Citi's) so i had to explain those. I also remember that in the past 2-3 months i had recently closed the UA visa and CO onepasspluss MC since i didnt want to pay those annual fees.

In the end she says i have to close one of my other cards in order to open the Marriott. then find that she gives me the marriott card with $10k credit limit.
    so in the end i got the card i wanted with my marriott 50k bonus etc, BUT i lost my BA card (which i didnt need or want anyway since i got my 105k and never use it)....and after i hung up i realized that closing the BA card
    the moral of the story for me was:
    1) i think that each card has a minimum credit limit in its profile/product line...such that they generally were not planning on giving me a CL less than $10k. so trying $5k CL exchange wasnt enough, hence the closure
    any credit experts out there please comment on whether this is correct or not.
    b) chase freakin dominates the CC game and so it drives me nuts. They still have a few other cards i want such as the PC card and Hyatt.....this makes things VERY tough. i may have to go a solid 12 moinths without applying for a card, also sacrificng the United Explorer 60k when it comes. damn.
    c) advice?

ps
    looks like chase mariott pulled from Experian (i live in NY)
    • Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

what questions did they ask you ??? I want that Ink Business 50K card as well!
    • Original Member

cotter77 Silver Member

some more data points from my above churn:
    all 5 apps were done at once on one computer in a matter of 10 minutes
    the experian report shows 5 separate pulls, 4all on one day and then citicard on a day later.
    so the concept of the multiple same day pulls by the same company/bank being consolidated into one pull doesnt hold water here.

what is hurting me now is seeing that no pulls will drop off the CR until one in 4/2012 and 6/2012....that blows
    stan likes this.