1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Government Rates @ Holiday Inn - Do you have to show ID

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by slotownmomma, Apr 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. slotownmomma
    • Original Member

slotownmomma Silver Member

Just wondering if anyone has experience with booking Holiday Inn with the government rate and if you did in fact have to show an ID at check in. I am booking a room @ the Holiday Inn-Grand Canyon. The best guarantee rate is $162. The government rate is $95. Huge difference. Just curious of anyone's experience.
    Any feedback is appreciated!

Kalboz likes this.
  2. Canadi>n
    • Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

And why would you be entitled to a government rate? Do you work for the government? Those rates are intended for public servants who are on work assignments not individuals who want to rip off the system through deception and lies!

sendbillmoney likes this.
  3. DHahn
    • Original Member

DHahn Silver Member

Isn't a bit harsh? It will be all depends on the front desk but you should be ready to produce govt ID if asked. It not don't risk it.

4. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

If you book a rate that you're not entitled to use and get caught at check in, most hotels will charge you rack rate for the room.

5. DJP_707
    • Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

This is true, if they ask and you don't have ID you be charged as much as posible. I have ID for a gov. rate but 80% of the time they never ask to see ID I guess it depends on the hotel and the clerk.

6. sobore
    • Original Member

sobore Gold Member

I have never personally used the government rate but have read that most of the time you are not asked to show ID. FWIW.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. mhnadel
    • Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Some years ago a colleague was trying to check into a hotel at the government rate and was asked to show ID. He replied that he was traveling undercover. And actually got away with that.

(Note that this was not an attempt to be deceptive. Hotels are inconsistent in their practices with respect to extending government rates to contractors doing government business. Most other hotels in the chain in question were willing to take the government orders as sufficient proof of entitlement to the rate. This is a signfiicant business issue, since the government will only reimburse contractors up to the government rate.)

8. lili
    • Original Member

lili Gold Member

If you don't need the points (gasp!) you could compromise with the Friends & Family rate of $124.50.

9. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

My impression is that hotels ask for government ID about half of the time, although it very much depends on the property. Some chains have separate rates for federal versus state government (sometimes restricted to the state in which the hotel is located) and some specify explicitly whether the rate may be used by government contractors.

10. Andyandy
    • Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Most of my stays are on the government rate and I am very seldom asked for my ID. It has happened several times, though. Personally, I wouldn't risk it if I wasn't a gov. employee, but the "undercover" story made me chuckle.

Andyandy

11. DJP_707
    • Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

I never understood how some hotels can say that the rate doesn't apply to government contractors when every purchase order we receive states all travel expense's must conform to gov per diem rates as published on http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/21287 (starwood hotels are famous for this) and the following is always included:

NOTICE TO CONTRACTOR'S
    FAA will not pay for travel or travel expenses
    incurred by contractors in violation of the Federal
    Travel Regulation or FAA’s travel policies.
    Contractors should direct specific travel questions
    to their Contracting Officer or Contracting
    Officer’s Technical Representative.

12. Indiana Delta Diamond
    • Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

That may be true for the federal government but certainly isn't for state and local government.

13. Jenny & Curt
    • Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Not sure if you'd qualify, but both Best Western and SPG said you could use the government rate if you're retired military -- not just current employee or active duty.

14. slotownmomma
    • Original Member

Thanks lili for this tip. It really does save you alot. I think I'll do this rate and not chance the government rate. Also FYI for others regarding this rate:
    Reservations require full prepayment for the entire stay at time of booking. Fully non-refundable. Prepayment is charged to credit card between time of booking and day of arrival and is non-refundable. No refunds if cancelled or changed. PC Points do not apply. Must present voucher at check-in.

15. slotownmomma
    • Original Member

Thanks everyone else for the advice. I really appreciate it. I think I won't chance it. Especially when traveling with the family. It is just so outrageously expensive at these hotels close to the Grand Canyon.

16. Jenny & Curt
    • Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Have you tried Flagstaff? 1.5 hours' drive. Also, we stayed at HIX Kayenta, near Monument Valley. Williams, 1 hr. drive away, also has several motels.

17. mhnadel
    • Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

The same way they can quote a "government rate" that is significantly higher than the per diem the GSA publishes.

This seems to be particularly prevalent in larger cities.

18. gleff
    • Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Nor is there anything wrong with it. Not every hotel needs to offer a governemnt rate. Those that do can choose to discount it as they wish. Some will say, "Hey, we can't offer the set per diem amount but we will offer a discount, in case anyone wants to get permission to exceed the set amount or wants to cover the difference themselves."

If a hotel wants the government business, at the price the govermnet is willing to pay, they can offer the rate. If they want to offer a discount to government travelers but still require a rate higher than what the government is willing to pay all of, that's their perogative.

And as to the question at hand, I'd say that government rates are ID'd more often than other rates. Though even some other really deeply discounted rates, at some hotels and in some markets, will get ID'd. I can think of one set of hotels in a major American city where the chain instructed all hotels to ID a particular corproate rate becuase it was so low.

I do like the undercover story, though.

19. Jaimito Cartero
    • Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

I believe that IHG properties are a bit different from other hotels regarding government rates. I researched this a couple of years ago, and there is (or was at the time) a printable ID on the IHG website that stated that was all you needed to present to book this rate. l'll see if I can dig up the link to it.

<Okay, found it>

Their rules of who is qualified is pretty broad, so I would say many people could legitimately stay using these rates, and they do have an ID card you can print out.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/c/1/content/dec/teaser/6c/1/en/lp/gov/qualify.html

gleff likes this.
  20. gleff
    • Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Thanks for this, seriously. Not just because printing a card proves your eligibility. But because under their guidelines, my public university ID would actually make me eligible. Wow, never knew that!

21. Jenny & Curt
    • Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Here's Best Western's definition, which a public university worker would maybe fit, as well:
    Government/Military (Available to current US Federal and State government employees as well as active duty/retired Military personnel with official ID at check in or a pre-approved Best Western issued government card.)

22. slotownmomma
    • Original Member

Ya....I know it's so much cheaper but we only have 2 days there and we really need to be close to make our time count.

23. slotownmomma
    • Original Member

Hey....just want to say "I LOVE YOUR BLOG"!!! I read it every time you post!!!

24. Exiled in Express
    • Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Am I reading this correctly, government employees do not need to be on business to use rate but contractors do? I am a federal employee and could use a few more tricks in my personal vacation bag.

25. Jaimito Cartero
    • Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Print out the ID card. That's what I did and never had any problems the few times I used it.