1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Guide To Using United SWUs on Continental

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by chitownflyer, Nov 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chitownflyer
    • Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

In order to use United SWUs on Continental, it is important to take the following steps and remember that the terms and conditions of the United SWU requiring a W and higher fare for international travel must be followed for Continental flights as well.

First, one has to have a Continental OnePass account with a name that matches exactly the name of your Mileage Plus account. So a Mileage Plus account with the name John Smith and an OnePass account with the name John Smith will work, but an OnePass account named John R. Smith will not work with a Mileage Plus account named John Smith.

Second, when booking flights, keep the metal the same for a direction of travel, if upgrades are not available to be confirmed on some of the segments. If you can confirm the upgrade at the time of booking on a combination of United and Continental flights in one direction, this is fine; however, it is not possible to waitlist a SWU on a combination of United and Continental flights simultaneously. So EWR-ORD on Continental connecting to United ORD-NRT is fine only if you can confirm both the upgrades at the time of booking, but you cannot waitlist one of these flights if there is upgrade space available on only one segment. It would therefore be better to fly EWR-IAH, and IAH-NRT on Continental if one or both of the segments is going to be waitlisted.

Third, once the ticket is booked, the United SWU needs to be transferred to your OnePass account to apply it on Continental flights. Call United reservations and explain to the agent you wish to apply the SWU to the Continental flights. The United agent will then transfer your call to the integration desk which will process the upgrade. You will have to provide your OnePass account number and Pin for the SWU to be transferred and processed. From here, the integration desk agent will handle the upgrade and ensure that everything is in order.

2. DIG/R_1K
    • Original Member

DIG/R_1K Gold Member

So basically I cannot sponsor UA SWUs for a CO itinerary for a friend or family member?

3. Wandering Aramean
    • Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Yes, you can sponsor for someone else. But you still need your accounts linked because they move the SWU from your UA account to your CO account and then you can put that SWU on any reservation.

AZjohn and DIG/R_1K like this.
  4. DIG/R_1K
    • Original Member

DIG/R_1K Gold Member

Gotcha... I did this on FT for a trade so I'll run this through the TP...

5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Thanks for posting this chitownflyer. I just wanted to add to your last part that the caller needs to have a lot of time to sit on the phone for this process.

Had this done on a mixed metal flight a couple weeks ago and it took my sponsor one hour to complete. I would think that as time goes on the process will become shorter, just like when at first we could switch miles between the two accounts. Took a long time at first over the phone but after a month they had it down to 5 minutes. Now we can do it electronicly. Think the same will happen with this ;)

Cheers,
    John

6. chitownflyer
    • Original Member

I applied UA SWUs to CO flights twice this week for upcoming CO trips, and most of the calls took at most 15 minutes. From early reports, it seems the process could take up to an hour, so the integration desk has gotten much faster at this process. What actually took me an hour was getting a United e-cert applied to my itinerary, as I called web support, and they placed me on hold repeatedly. Maybe UA IT will return to the US when the merger is complete?

PS: Can you transfer the UA SWUs to CO electronically if your accounts are linked?

AZjohn likes this.
  7. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Lets hope so
    Not as of 2 or 3 weeks ago. Not sure about now???

8. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Silver Member

... and you can't use an instrument (SWU, CR1 or miles) to upgrade a "redeployment flight". Those are flights operated by United Express but managed in the Continental system to and from CO hubs. (In my case, MSP-IAH, UA5199/5200, operated by SkyWest.) You just have to wait for UDU to fire on them (or maybe it was day of travel. I can't recall.)

AZjohn likes this.
  9. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Silver Member

It doesn't. I watched the F cabin fill, past the 100 hour mark. When I went to check in, there were still a few seats left, but I had no upgrade filed. So I called the CO desk (it was an 005 ticket) and they were finally able to force me into F.

So, on this particular thin spoke route, I can choose from CR7's that I might be able to UDU, maybe, or ER4's that I definitely won't. Riding the ER4 tomorrow... maybe that will change my mind back.

10. Geo
    • Original Member

Geo Gold Member

When you link your accounts you are given an option as to where you would like the SWU's and CR1's to accumulate. Was you make that decision, it is set like a pit bull's teeth into a three week old burrito.

DCA1K likes this.
  11. chitownflyer
    • Original Member

I have not linked my CO & UA accounts, and you do not have to do so to use UA SWUs on CO. You simply have to have both a UA and CO frequent flyer account with the names matching exactly to use UA SWUs on CO. Once you ticket, UA's integration desk then works to transfer the SWUs to CO so they appear in your account and can be used for the CO flights.

12. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Silver Member

Wow. It didn't. The ER4 was weight restricted, so we had to make a *fuel stop* in wichita. Blew an extra two hours between that and the holding, turning a 2.5 hour iah conx into a B-to-E O.J. special. Expressjet strikes again!

13. Geo
    • Original Member

Geo Gold Member

True. It is also true that you can walk from Houston to Dallas. It isn't the most efficient though. To voluntarily be lower on upgrade lists and priority while flying the opposite metal is not the best path, but that decision is entirely up to you. Many people thank you for not linking.

14. goalie
    • Original Member

goalie Gold Member

How about when the upgrade is requested, waitlisted but doesn't clear. How long for the SWU to be returned to one's CO account. I sponsored goalie-sis EWR-DUB and then DUB-EWR where the outbound cleared (happy goalie-sis*) but the return waitlisted and subsequently did not clear. The outbound SWU shows transferred in and redeemed (flight on 11/19) but so does the return (flight on 11/27). How long to wait for it to be returned (with UA it was only a matter of a day or two for it to show back in my MP account)

*and surprised as she didn't know it was coming (I'm such a good brother ;))

15. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

So, you are getting into the unknown zone goalie (as in it varies from person to person).
    My personal experiance, CO has never return any UG instrument by themselfs, I have always had to call after waiting weeks to se if they do it automaticly. Some have reported theirs have been returned without having to call.
    I would suggest waiting a few more days then make the call.
    BTW, only took maybe 5 minutes on the phone to get it credit back.
    John

DIG/R_1K likes this.
  16. DIG/R_1K
    • Original Member

DIG/R_1K Gold Member

I've always had to call CO for my instruments back in my experience.

AZjohn likes this.
  17. goalie
    • Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Thank you both :) and I'll give it a few more days and then call

18. JTF

JTF Silver Member

I am looking for some help. I am trying to use a regional upgrade from EWR to SDQ on CO. Booked through UA (100 bucks cheaper then CO website). I have successfully applied the upgrade from UA to CO but am waitlisted. When booking I used my mileage plus # (1p, will be 1k in a week). I believe my upgrade priority will be higher if I use my onepass # instead of my mileage plus #, accounts are linked. My question is if I change my FF# will I have to go through the process to reapply the regional upgrade. Thanks

19. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

So, .....(sorry, I was just chuckling to myself). Let me try again:

So, this is where I personaly had some real issues and thus my previous post explained I had to call CO for my un-cleared CR1's. Kind of the same situation you discribed and booked on UA but had a couple CO metal flights in the mix I wanted to UG. Called 1K line to swap over CR1's to CO (no problems there) and then applied them to the CO flights I wanted to UG.

Then, called CO and asked them to please put my CO OP number into those flights so I would have a better chance to UG. Bottom line, the whole PNR got completely screwed up (of course I didn't know until trying to check in) and not only didn't my OP number never get entered correctly, UA then somehow cancelled my PNR with their metal and next thing I know I'm in the back of all six flights in that round trip itinerary.

So, I wish you much better luck than I had if you are brave enough to try it. I personally am going to wait and never get on a waitlist with either airlines until this merger is completed (confirmed UG space is no problems).
    John