Hilton HHonors launches Points & Money and Upgrade Rewards

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by RicGarrido, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RicGarrido
    • Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

FAQ on New Hilton HHonors Hotel Rewards

What are Points & Money Rewards™?
    If you don't have enough Hilton HHonors™ points to book a room using Standard Room Rewards, or simply if you prefer to use fewer points, you can combine points with money to book a standard room. Availability of Points & Money Rewards varies by participating hotels and stay dates at the time of booking.

What are Premium Room Rewards?
    You can use HHonors points to book premium rooms and suites for stays all year round at our hotels worldwide. You can reserve our best rooms and confirm them at the time of booking, with no blackout dates. As long as a premium room or suite is available at the time of booking, it is yours to book using points. The number of points required to redeem Premium Room Rewards varies by room, hotel, and booking date.

What are Room Upgrade Rewards?
    You can use HHonors points to upgrade your confirmed room reservation to a premium room or suite for stays all year round at our hotels worldwide with Room Upgrade Rewards. If there is a premium room or suite available when booking an upgrade, you can use your points to guarantee your upgrade to the premium room or suite with no blackout dates. The number of points required to redeem Room Upgrade Rewards varies by room, hotel, and booking date.

What is the difference between Room Upgrade Rewards and Premium Room Rewards?
    Room Upgrade Rewards lets you upgrade your confirmed room reservation to better rooms, including suites, while you can use Premium Room Rewards to book new reservations for any available premium room or suite.

After I book a room, sometimes I am given the option to request a discounted room upgrade. What is the difference between that option, Room Upgrade Rewards, and Premium Room Rewards?
    The option to request a discounted room upgrade is based on availability at the time of check-in, but you are not guaranteed an upgraded room. If there is a premium room or suite available, you are guaranteed a premium room or suite at the time of booking when redeeming Premium Room Rewards and at the time of upgrading a confirmed reservation with Room Upgrade Rewards.

Can I use HHonors points to reserve Standard Room Rewards?
    Yes, you can. As always, you can redeem your points to enjoy free standard rooms at over 3,600 hotels worldwide with no blackout dates. Standard rooms are available for as few as 7,500 points per night at category 1 hotels and up to 80,000 points per night at select Waldorf Astoria® Hotels & Resorts.

Can I use HHonors points to reserve a premium room or suite?
    Yes, you can. You can use HHonors points to book premium rooms and suites using Premium Room Rewards. You can also use points to guarantee an upgrade from your confirmed room reservation to a premium room or suite with Room Upgrade Rewards.

Can I use HHonors points to upgrade an existing reservation?
    Yes, you can. You can use HHonors points to upgrade your confirmed room reservation to a premium room or suite for stays all year round at our hotels worldwide with Room Upgrade Rewards. If there is a premium room or suite available when booking an upgrade, you can use your points to guarantee your upgrade to the premium room or suite with no blackout dates. The number of points required to redeem Room Upgrade Rewards varies by room, hotel, and booking date. If you have a confirmed room reservation or if you booked a room using Standard Room Rewards, Points & Money Rewards, Premium Room Rewards, or Point Stretcher Rewards, you can use Room Upgrade Rewards to upgrade your room type.

Can I use a combination of points and money to book a hotel stay?
    Yes, you can. You can use a combination of HHonors points and money at participating hotels to book standard rooms using Points & Money Rewards. You can also purchase points anytime so that you have enough points to redeem for Points & Money Rewards, Standard Room Rewards, Premium Room Rewards, and Room Upgrade Rewards.

I don't have enough points to book a room using Standard Room Rewards. Is purchasing points my only option?
    Not having enough points shouldn't keep you from seeing the world. That's why HHonors members can use a combination of HHonors points and money to book a standard room. Availability of Points & Money Rewards varies by participating hotel and booking date. The chart below displays the number of points you'll need:

Points & Money Rewards Redemption Table

Hotel Category Points & Money Rewards
    1 = Unavailable
    2 = 6,250 Pts + US$30
    3 = 12,250 Pts + US$40
    4 = 15,000 Pts + US$50
    5 = 17,500 Pts + US$60
    6 = 20,000 Pts + US$70
    7 = 25,000 Pts + US$85
    Waldorf Astoria® Hotels & Resorts = 30,000 Pts + US$100

How quickly can I earn an HHonors reward night?
    Faster than you may think! Enjoy free nights for as few as 7,500 points per night at category 1 hotels with Standard Room Rewards. Or get to a reward night even faster with Points & Money Rewards for as few as 6,250 points + US$30 per night at participating category 2 hotels.

Will I earn HHonors points for Standard Room Rewards, Points & Money Rewards, Premium Room Rewards, and Room Upgrade Rewards?
    The money spent on the room rate portion of Points & Money Rewards will not be considered an eligible folio charge for which points will be issued. Determining all other incidental charges that count towards earning HHonors points varies by brand and type of charge. Please see the HHonors Terms and Conditions for details.

How can I book a room using Points & Money Rewards, Premium Room Rewards, or Room Upgrade Rewards?
    For Points & Money Rewards and Premium Room Rewards, reservations can be made online in the U.S. by clicking Reward Stays at HHonors.com or by calling 1-800-HHONORS (1-800-446-6677). Neither Points & Money Rewards nor Premium Room Rewards can be booked at the front-desk of a hotel. For Room Upgrade Rewards, you can upgrade your room by changing your reservation online, over the phone, or at the front desk of most hotels.

I am a Gold or Diamond HHonors member. Will I still get upgraded?
    The HHonors upgrade policy has not changed. You will, as always, be upgraded subject to availability per the HHonors Terms and Conditions and your My Way™ On-Property benefit selection. Room Upgrade Rewards now allow you to guarantee upgraded accommodations in advance when requesting an upgrade, including upgrades to suites if they are available at a property, instead of waiting until check-in, which is the current Gold and Diamond upgrade policy.

Why are Points & Money Rewards, Premium Room Rewards, and Room Upgrade Rewards not available for all locations?
    These rewards are currently part of a pilot program. They will be offered more broadly at hotels worldwide throughout 2011. After these new rewards are made available more broadly, availability of Points & Money Rewards will still vary by participating hotel and stay dates at the time of booking. Premium Room Rewards will be available as long as a premium room is available at the time of booking. If there is a premium room or suite available when booking an upgrade, you can use your points to guarantee your upgrade to the premium room or suite with Room Upgrade Rewards.

Will the current Point Stretcher Rewards still be available?
    Yes. Point Stretcher Rewards will still be available.

Can I use Room Upgrade Rewards with promotional free reward night certificates?
    No. Reservations can be made using promotional free night certificates for Standard Room Rewards, however these reservations cannot be upgraded using Room Upgrade Rewards.

Source: http://hhonors1-iwv.hilton.com/en_US/hh/landing/expandedrewards_faq/index.do

Warning: this link brings up a sign-in pop-up that tends to lock up Internet Explorer. Clicking "cancel" repeatedly in the pop-up generally takes care of it. Apparently not an issue with Firefox browser.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Will obviously have to look at the details (cost), but in general choice is good! Thanks for the post, Ric!

3. lili
    • Original Member

lili Gold Member

Great news! I really like the Starwood Points & Cash even though they don't give stay credit.

4. Blue Skye
    • Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

will these stays count towards status? i didn't see that mentioned above...but then again, i am having a day where coffee is just not cutting it. LOL!

5. gleff
    • Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Since award stays count towards status with Hilton I don't see why not?

miles and smiles likes this.
  6. infoworks
    • Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Already a Diamond, these changes will indeed be helpful.

gleff likes this.
  7. gleff
    • Original Member

gleff Co-founder

This will really bump up the value of the program to me at least.

Jim likes this.
  8. Jim
    • Original Member

Jim Silver Member

I reallly like this....

9. b1513
    • Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

The downside to this program is that it will cut down on Diamond upgrade availability at check in.

10. Blue Skye
    • Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

thanks for the reply. that was what i was hoping for. :)

11. travelinmike33
    • Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Thanks for pointing this out!

This is really good for something like the Maldives properties, particularly the Beach House. In high season it would be 80k points per night or a lot of money (can't find the rates atm...).

12. gleff
    • Original Member

gleff Co-founder

These rates won't be available for all hotels, all dates, and I'd have to expect you won't find a whole lot of 80k point per night rooms offered under this deal. But I'd love to be wrong!

13. Steven Schwartz
    • Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

This is a game changer for those getting their HHonors points thru credit card spending. Status available, multiple points per dollar on all spending, "Cash and Points" and upgrades are all I could want. While I have loved some of my Starwood suite upgrades on award stays, their lack of predictability was, to me, an issue.

This is very good news - but where the hell did you find it - I don't see it on their website!!!:rolleyes:

14. RicGarrido
    • Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

The link to the FAQ is in the first post to this thread, but all the info in that link is shown in the first post text.

HHonors members report customer service agents stating the changes should be up sometime in this next week on Hilton HHonors website. These changes are likely the reason HHonors was giving 2,500 points for website delays the past three days.

15. Tenmoc
    • Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

I had been rethinking which hotel program was best for me. But now this is a great step forward to keeping me in Hilton at least another year. I am really surprised at how drastically this changes the program at one time. I wonder how many hotels are going to shoot up in redemption levels just because of this.

16. DenverBrian
    • Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Category 1 - unavailable; that sounds like Hilton is trying to edge their toe into the Intercontinental water regarding points plus cash, but they're not going to dive in like IHC does.

17. deant
    • Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Very happy to see HHonors go this route. I have used the SPG Cash and Points numerous times and it was a fantastic use of points. We now understand why Hilton has had so many problems with their web site the last few days.

18. Pete
    • Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Great enhancement for HH. Love the Points and Money option - - it should increase the value of redemptions for shorter stays, which has always been a weak spot for HH for me.

19. giggy
    • Original Member

giggy Silver Member

I like the suite deals, but this really begs the question, Why even bother with Diamond status anymore?

20. deant
    • Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

To me, there are some locations which I would pay for a confirmed upgrade rather than risk a "space available" upgrade. For example at the Rome Cav I would pay a reasonable amount for a confirmed upgrade to the Imperial Floor rather than risking a NOR1 upgrade. However, I would not pay extra for a confirmed Rome view room.

So to me, the ability for a confirmed upgrade has some limited benefit. However, the Cash and Points benefit, I can easily see using.

As for why bother with Diamond, you still get breakfast, free upgrades etc. I suspect that the "paid upgraders" will not diminish the percentage of Diamond upgrades that much.

21. giggy
    • Original Member

giggy Silver Member

28 stays sure buys a lot of breakfasts :D

22. DHahn
    • Original Member

DHahn Silver Member

It's about time HH made some enhancements. :cool: