How do I transfer Amex Points to United

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Lrabin, Dec 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Lrabin Active Member

I am new to this and I have 500,000 amex points that I want to transfer to United.
    How do I do it?
    GoodBoy and miles and smiles like this.
  2. edekba Gold Member

I didnt think UA was a partner with MR.
    GoodBoy and LETTERBOY like this.
    • Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

GoodBoy, IDGflygirl, LIH Prem and 2 others like this.
  3. iamapirate Active Member

You can go to Starpoints then United....but you'll take a beating.
    GoodBoy, rodeojones and LETTERBOY like this.
    • Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

What are you planning to do with the miles? Remember that you can transfer AMEX miles to British Airways, through which you can book flights on American Airlines and other OneWorld partners...
    GoodBoy likes this.
  4. Lrabin Active Member

I was told I can transfer them into an ANA Airlines account and then book United through this?
    Has anyone heard of this?
    GoodBoy and mattsteg like this.
    • Original Member

Steven Schwartz Silver Member

You can absolutely transfer to ANA can then book United flights.

They have a different redemption schedule which is better for some trips and worse for others. But they do have much higher fees than United does. Still, if you have lots of MR points and somewhere you want to go, it is most certainly a viable alternative. It is mileage based. With United there is one cost (in miles) from anywhere in the US to, for example, Europe. With ANA, you need to figure the round-trip miles.

Here's the schedule:

Total itinerary distance
    (the sum of all basic flight segment mileages)
    Economy class
    Business class
    FIRST CLASS
    0-2,000
    2,001-4,000
    4,001-7,000
    7,001-9,000
    9,001-11,000
    11,001-14,000
    14,001-18,000
    18,001-20,000
    20,001-22,000
    22,001-25,000
    25,001-29,000
    29,001-34,000
    34,001-39,000
    39,001-44,000
    44,001-50,000
    MX, B1BomberVB, IDGflygirl and 8 others like this.
    • Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

There are several such options - any of the star alliance carriers that are amex partners are in play. It would be very useful to know where you want to fly.
  5. Lrabin Active Member

Chicago-Barcelona
    Rome--chicago
    GoodBoy likes this.
    • Original Member

Steven Schwartz Silver Member

Preferred dates and flexibility?
    GoodBoy and mattsteg like this.
    • Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

And is there a reason you prefer united?
    GoodBoy likes this.
  6. Lrabin Active Member

I have no real preference to airlines. My goal is business or 1st for the least # of miles.
    Oct 5 or 6 2013 ORD-BCN
    Oct 21 ROME-ORD
    GoodBoy likes this.
    • Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Consider the options Ben lists here. http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemi...s-membership-rewards-points-by-region-europe/

And honestly, if you're not particularly interested in the process (from your posts it seems that this is not really a priority for you) consider paying one of the booking services to handle everything for you. I do not have an interest in any of them, and have never used them, but they could be a good fit here.

You're going to need to put in more time than it takes to write 3 word posts, and I just get the impression that you're looking for an answer that may be simpler than reality.
    MX, GoodBoy, daboogah and 3 others like this.
    • Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Amex points can get you essentially anywhere. Amex has a number of Star Alliance transfer partners. So long as you are not looking to use a double-miles award on UA, you'll be good with their Star partners. Make sure to pick the partner with the best rewards price for what you're looking to do.

In my experience, transfers to Air Canada are instant from Amex MR.

Unless you are looking to top up a UA account for just a few miles, I would advise strongly against the Amex-SPG-UA two-step transfer due to the adverse ratios on Amex-SPG, and SPG-UA!

Beyond the obvious linked partners, there are also a myriad of "indirect" partners that you can get to with Amex points. Full details here...

http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/amex-an...more-valuable-than-chase-points-for-most.html
    GoodBoy, Flying Machine and LETTERBOY like this.
    • Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Should price at 85K from ANA or 90K from Aeroplan. Depending on metal flown you might have to pay the YQ as well which adds some cash cost. Transferring to Aeroplan is instant which is a nice benefit versus waiting a couple days for the transfer and hoping the seats are still there with ANA.
  7. Flying Machine Silver Member

Nice post with good information. However, the link does not work and error appears.. Safe Travels
    • Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Hmm.. Try upgrd.com and look at the SitInFirst tab.
    GoodBoy likes this.
  8. knick1959 Active Member

Argh. I knew SPG->UA was 2:1 and something to avoid, but I was unaware that you lost points on AMEX->SPG. At what ration does this happen, please? I'll root around and see if I can find it myself ... thanks.
  9. knick1959 Active Member

Bummer. Looks like 3 MR points gets you 1 SPG point. Time to redo some gozintas.
    • Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Air Canada Aeroplan comes to mind (1 : 1). You will have to pay fuel surcharges on most itineraries or use points.com to get your Aeroplan miles into US Airways (roughly 5 : 4) which does not charge fuel surcharges, but do charge a $50 award fee. I would play around with aeroplan.com or united.com for availability. If you can find ORD-MAD, then you can transfer a few MR points to Iberia and get a MAD-BCN shuttle for 4500 points. I did that last year and it was nice to know that the shuttle is there then you show up (you have an open ticket). Only downside is that you must deal with your baggage in MAD.

BTW. US will do an open jaw ticket, but they don't do one-ways.
    • Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

If you are wiling to take one connection, then Iberia can do ORD-MAD-BCN on October 6th for 49k and $102 pp, and Aeroplan can get you back on United for 60k and ?$ (FCO-BRU-ORD) all in business. You should check out Alitalia as well. They might have direct flights from FCO, but I don't know how to avoid crazy fees on them.
  10. slnsavalli Active Member

You can also transfer to Singapore airlines and u can use on UA or the below ones by clicking the link
    Participating Carriers
    Eligible Booking Class for Economy Class to Business Class Upgrade
    Eligible Booking Class for Business Class to First Class Upgrade
    Air China
    Y, B
    C, D
    Air Canada
    Y, B
    N.A.
    Air New Zealand*
    U, E, O, Y, B
    N.A.
    All Nippon Airways**
    Y, B, E
    C, D, J, Z
    Asiana Airlines
    Y, B
    C, D
    Austrian
    Y, B
    N.A.
    Brussels Airlines
    Y, B
    N.A.
    Croatia Airlines
    Y, B
    N.A.
    EgyptAir
    Y, B
    C, D
    LOT Polish Airways
    Y, B
    N.A.
    Lufthansa
    Y, B
    C, D, J
    Scandinavian Airlines***
    S,Y,B
    N.A.
    Shenzhen Airlines
    Y, B, M, H
    N.A.
    SWISS
    Y, B, U, M
    C, D, J
    TAM Airlines
    Y, B
    C,D
    TAP Portugal
    Y, B
    N.A.
    Thai Airways
    Y, B
    C, D
    Turkish Airlines
    Y, B
    C, D
    United Airlines
    Y, B
    C, D, J
    US Airways
    Y, B
    N.A.
    • Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Those are upgrade fare buckets for the *A upgrade program. The OP is not looking to upgrade.
  11. de52king Active Member

I believe there is a way you can change Aeroplan miles to US Air miles via points.com. I haven't done it, but believe it's a good option for a lot of SA rewards.
  12. desamo Gold Member

I have done it before, works fine.

Create a trade on points.com for an even $ amount of miles. My experience is that the best trades have costs that are in the $50-100 range. Aeroplan limits you to ten trades per year.

It's not what it once, was, though. Aeroplan charges $20/1000 miles. United now charges $10/1000. They used to cost the same.