How to Keep Your American Airlines AAdvantage Miles From Expiring

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Canarsie, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    • Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

This thread is designed to give those who are looking to prevent their American Airlines AAdvantage miles from expiring, with the list being updated with the latest information here in this milepost.

How to keep your American Airlines AAdvantage miles from expiring:

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. noam
    • Original Member

noam Silver Member

If you can remember to do something, I think the dining or shopping programs are probably one of the better non-travel options. Giving to charity is always welcome...

If you can't remember to do something, regularly using an AA credit card would be good. Maybe setup your electric bill to charge against it, for instance.

3. JY1024
    • Original Member

JY1024 Gold Member

And remember, it's actually the TRANSACTION date that resets the clock, not necessarily when the miles post. For example, certain vendors like iDine, eShopping, hotel/car rental partners, etc. may take a few days to weeks before the miles are reported to AA. But never fear, they will be reported with the original date you made the transaction.

So as long as you have a qualifying activity (i.e. flight, restaurant dine, eShopping purchase, etc) before your expiration date, you'll be good to go! :)

4. noam
    • Original Member

noam Silver Member

Good tip!

Another thing to add to the "just automatically do it" category would be Bankdirect. You need to keep $2500 there to avoid any fees, but you'll get 1 mile per month for every $10 in your account. A very good place to keep money you want to keep liquid.

5. VagabondJim

VagabondJim Silver Member

You earned miles doing something: flying or charging probably. Why not just keep doing what you were doing?

6. gemac
    • Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Some people's situation changes. They were flying AA pretty regularly, then they move or change jobs and now they aren't, but they don't want their miles to expire.

miles and smiles, Travelman and HNL like this.
  7. VagabondJim

VagabondJim Silver Member

Just get the Citi AA bronze card - low fee, earns 1 mile for every $2. Use it to buy gas.

8. gemac
    • Original Member

gemac Silver Member

The fee is so low it is zero.

9. MLW20
    • Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

iDine, AA eShopping, book a hotel on AA.com, rent a car on AA.com, get a Citi AA checking account etc... so many ways and most are relatively easy to do.

10. dartboard
    • Original Member

dartboard Active Member

The biggest challenge for me is keeping the kids' accounts active. I usually credit my rental car mileage to their accounts, although lately we've had enough reasons to fly as a family (and every time the kids complain about not flying B6).

11. arkleseizure
    • Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

The cheapest (and perhaps easiest) way is simply to download the AA shopping toolbar and do 3 searches each month using it. You'll get 1 mile, which is all you need. I find it handy for actually using the AA shopping mall as well. You can also download the Bing toolbar from Microsoft and convert your credits to AA miles, though you have to have 400 something Bing points to get 100 AA miles.

12. noam
    • Original Member

noam Silver Member

Nice. Hard to beat that as long as you can remember to do this every so often.

13. travelingmore
    • Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

1. The easiest way I find to use AAdvantage Shopping Mall is do my iTunes ordering through them. I do a few songs at a time, the order is done, and my AA account gets a few miles and is updated. I do this for accounts for family members as well - and if AA accounts are current I'll move onto the next mileage or points program that I need to keep current.
    2. AA Dining - also a good way - and it has a promotion right now until March 31: get double the normal miles for up to 5 dines - registration required first.

14. benolaa
    • Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Bose used to give a couple hundred points for watching a video.

15. gemac
    • Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Comes around with every new product launch - at least for noise-cancelling earphones. Last one was in January, expired now. It was for 150 miles. Doesn't come around often enough to be able to count on it, IMO.

16. Tiki
    • Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

17. tondoleo
    • Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

My friend had an account with expired miles. Approximately 40,000. He recently took 2 rt's on aa. I suggested he email customer service and request reinstatement of the miles. What do you know. They were back in his account in 2 days. Be polite. There is no harm in asking. Keeping the miles alive does not take a great effort. He was happy to have these old miles back in the game.

18. flacey8
    • Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

this might not be for everyone - keep $2500 with BankDirect and you don't ever have to think about it.. my2cents.

19. miamigrad
    • Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

They did, indeed:
    https://www.aadvantagemilesforbose.com/

However, as noted upthread, it is now expired.
    I've always advised friends to purchase a single song on iTunes. For around $1, your miles stay alive.

20. gemac
    • Original Member

gemac Silver Member

There are two ways to restore expired miles - by paying a fee and via a "challenge". Your friend had apparently already met the conditions of the challenge, so they just gave them back to him. I don't think you can get them restored by just "asking politely".

21. SuzanneSLO
    • Original Member

SuzanneSLO Silver Member

I third this! I use it for other programs with orphan miles as well. -- Suzanne

22. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

It's great to know that we can repeat the Liberty Mutual quote annually for 500 AA miles. I will repeat next month.

From the AA webpage:
    Please allow 10-12 weeks for AAdvantage miles to post to your account. Maximum of 500 miles per member, per year.

23. MLW20
    • Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

I posted earlier in a different forum that you can also now earn 8 miles per dollar spent on Groupon. Before buying a Groupon, click through the AA shopping portal. A good deal gets even better!
    If anyone needs a referral to Groupon or other group buying sites please send me a message and I will email it to you.

24. miles and smiles
    • Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

25. b8b

b8b Silver Member