1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Wednesday, August 20th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you in advance for your understanding.

How to Keep Your US Airways Dividend Miles From Expiring

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Canarsie, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    • Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

This thread is designed to give those who are looking to prevent their US Airways Dividend Miles from expiring, with the list being updated with the latest information here in this milepost.

How to keep your US Airways Dividend Miles from expiring:
    • Earn US Airways Dividend Miles for the following, while ensuring that what you earned is credited to your US Airways Dividend Miles frequent flier account:
    • Redeem US Airways Dividend Miles for the following:
  2. ArizonaGuy
    • Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Install the US Airways search toolbar. Though for the life of me I cannot figure out how to navigate to it on the website right now. So here is the direct link.

Even if the 1000 bonus miles for installing it never post, the regular miles for searches post monthly like clockwork. 3 searches = 1 mile and the account activity is reset. Suggest installing this on a browser you never/rarely use to avoid the screen clutter on your primary browser.
    DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  3. Art234
    • Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

I either use US as a designated airline for my Hilton doubledip, or use them when renting from Budget or Avis.
    I therefore get a few points every few months and don't worry about the miles remaining- 513K at last count...
  4. Magnus
    • Original Member

Magnus Silver Member

Sorry maybe a dumb question. but will the miles expire after 18 months of inactivity on the account, or 18 months after you get them? Does it matter if you collect the miles by flying or if you bought the miles?
  5. desert_gecko
    • Original Member

desert_gecko Active Member

It is 18 months after the last activity. That activity could be anything going in or coming out. Some travelers bank hundreds of thousands of miles to save up for a major trip, usually in business or first class.
  6. cvarming
    • Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Buy a few cheap miles via Dividend Miles Multiplier:

1. Buy a refundable ticket for a very short flight. For instance PHL-BWI (90 miles)
    2. Buy Dividend Miles Multiplier miles for the trip. < $3
    3. Refund the ticket.

The multiplier miles are usually posted to your account within a day.
    miles and smiles likes this.
  7. DeacFlyer1
    • Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

So even after refunding the ticket you keep the miles? I guess they are non-refundable...just seems like a sneaky way to do it...but I kindof like it!
  8. DeacFlyer1
    • Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

I believe I've heard that the 1000 bonus miles for initial use are supposed to post on March 1.
  9. ArizonaGuy
    • Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

This is true but that seems arbitrary - suppose I install the toolbar for the first time on March 1st?
  10. ArizonaGuy
    • Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

It's no different than buying the miles directly at 2.75cpm plus tax.
  11. DeacFlyer1
    • Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

I agree, it's strange...particularly since I've had miles from the searches themselves post already. I don't know what happens if you were to download after March 1st.
  12. kellio
    • Original Member

kellio Gold Member

A DM shopping mall purchase can be a cheap way to keep the account alive. YMMV on the actual posting time of the purchase to the account.
  13. Henry
    • Original Member

Henry Silver Member

search toolbar is easiest and FREE!
    DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  14. cvarming
    • Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

When you buy miles you have to buy at least 1k for $27.5. With the refundable ticket trick you can buy fever miles and thus you pay way less to keep you miles alive. I would say $27.5 is different from $3.
    richinaz likes this.
  15. ArizonaGuy
    • Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Ah, right, I forgot the topic of this thread. But as methods of keeping accounts alive go, I wouldn't even consider this or direct purchase. That's just too expensive compared to other methods unless you've seriously waited until the last possible day before expiration.
  16. DeacFlyer1
    • Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

The bigger question here is, if you really need to do something as drastic as buy a refundable ticket, pay a few bucks for the DM multiplier to get those miles, just to keep your account alive....then do you really have anything in your account worth keeping?

Because doing something like this means that you haven't flown a mile in a year and a half...what are the chances that you have hundreds of thousands of miles sitting there that you haven't touched in 18 months? First of all, I don't see myself going more than 18 months without a least taking one trip on a *A carrier...but if I knew I was done flying for work for good, I would burn every last one of my miles in a heartbeat.

Basically, I'm saying this seems like a topic that is discussed disproportionately to the number of people it seems like it would affect, especially on a board like this.
  17. dgross

dgross Active Member

The Shopping Toolbar is the easiest, IMO. I change the Dividend Miles number on the Toolbar for some family members for a day or so, and that keeps their accounts active too.
  18. kellio
    • Original Member

kellio Gold Member

The search toolbar doesn't work for everyone. I can't download it on my work laptop as it is restricted and my home desktop keeps getting a failure every time I've tried. I really just don't have the time right not to figure out why it happens at home.

Keep posting different options for people to keep their miles active. Not every option is a perfect solution for everyone.
  19. cvarming
    • Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Well, I have a good 30k flying blue miles rotting away. I would feel a little (as in very little) down if they disappeared over night. Somehow I always end up being rerouted on a AF or KLM flight every year. I think I would pay $3 to keep those miles.

I guess this thread was started because it was a topic of several light threads on FT. Every now and again somebody would need this kind of advise. Something about building content for the new site.
  20. cvarming
    • Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

points.com:

You can trade miles on points.com. If you have miles in other programs you may trade a few of those for a US mile. Or the other way around, trade a few US miles for some random other kind of miles or points.
  21. DeacFlyer1
    • Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

I think all of this is great content, and should definitely be here!
  22. JayBrian
    • Original Member

JayBrian Silver Member

Transfer from emiles. You earn points there from looking at ads. Once you have 500 points you can transfer them for 500 miles.

http://www.emiles.com
  23. ArizonaGuy
    • Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Hmm. You could temporarily change your password and some kind soul here could sign into your account via toolbar, do three searches, sign out and you change your password back. You'd have to be trusting, obviously.
  24. nomflyer
    • Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

I've done this before and it's pretty straight forward. I just checked the exchange rates and it looks like 4 AA miles or 3 CO miles can get you 1 US mile. If you don't have miles in either of those programs, I believe you can convert some of your US miles into one of those other programs first, before converting back to US.

A good tip is to make sure your balance in both programs have finished updating to reflect their current balance. In my experience, trying to submit an exchange when either account balance has not finished updating causes a delay in processing the exchange. If successful it should only take a few minutes.
  25. nomflyer
    • Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

Using a US Airways Mastercard or Debit Card, if you already have it.

If not, the current US Airways Mastercard promo now waives the first year annual fee (not to mention the signup bonus). It normally has a fee of $89. The B of A debit card has a $30 annual fee I believe.