Hyatt now requiring AAA card number when making on line reservations

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Courcoison, Jun 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

• Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Good day:
    I noticed Hyatt is now requiring AAA card number when one is making reservations using the Hyatt web site.
    SC Flier, Kaanapali, gleff and 2 others like this.
    • Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

The good news for legitimate AAA members is that the AAA number is only required to actually book a room. You can check the AAA rates without entering a number. This is more convenient than Hilton, where you need to enter an AAA number to even see the rates.
    Kalboz, sparxe, SC Flier and 6 others like this.
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

What they really need to do is consistently check the AAA membership at checkin time, otherwise those who avail themselves to a rate they are not entitled to will simply "borrow" a number from somewhere. Or maybe store the AAA credentials in the customer profile and prompt the FD agents once a year (after the card expiration) to re-verify it.
    sparxe, SC Flier, icurhere2 and 2 others like this.
    • Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Good news, I agree. Hilton's requirement is annoying -
    MSPeconomist, SC Flier and Courcoison like this.
    • Original Member

I usually don't actually enter my AAA # on the Hilton site unless my browser happens to remember/default it in. I just enter country code 430. Easy enough to remember for me.
    Kalboz and SC Flier like this.
    • Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

I enjoy being able to check the rates and decide whether it might be worth renewing my AAA card. I would seriously do it if the rates began to warrant it, but I am lucky enough to have a DH who is a <ahem> senior citizen by most definitions, and these end up usually being comparable to the AAA rate (except in properties where we have to eat Club brekkie and the AAA folks can get the Breakfast rate.)
    • Original Member

sparxe Silver Member

This is great! I hate going to find my AAA card when I'm just looking for a rate quote.
    MSPeconomist likes this.
    • Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Does any hotel actually ever check for an AAA card? It's a real pain to have to enter it (it's like 16 or 18 digits), every time I try I get it wrong the first 2 or 3 times.
    MSPeconomist likes this.
    • Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

I have had it checked once or twice a year over the past several years. Just once I got caught without it (had been leaving it in my glove compartment so it would be available for its ordinary purpose) and had to pay rack rate, so now it's permanently in my travel wallet.
    RichardInSF likes this.
    • Original Member

I get rarely asked, but it happens. The card has earned its permanent place in my wallet.
    MSPeconomist and RichardInSF like this.
    • Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

That's a good idea in general because even if you are a passenger in a car that's not yours, the AAA will provide its usual emergency services to that car if you have your card with you.
    MSPeconomist likes this.
    • Original Member

Or when using a rental car, I presume. Not sure if it's true about all car rental companies, but when I called Alamo after a tire flattened 5 miles (and five minutes) from the airport, they sent a road service company to change the tire (the tools in the car were utterly inadequate) and said it would cost $50 since I hadn't paid for the road service "insurance".