I have officially had it with American Airlines

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by txmoney, Jul 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. txmoney Silver Member

I can't take it anymore. 4 flights in a row with a minimum 2hr delay. Today it was a flight attendant calling in sick. I can't do business on a airline like this. I have been platinum or executive platinum since 1987. I have been a loyal flyer of this airline but they are a mess. I am mailing back my cards and canceling my account. I'm going to donate what miles I have left and am going to wash my hands of this airline. Good riddance
    • Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Who are you moving your air travel to?
    zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  2. txmoney Silver Member

I have switched all my US travel to Southwest. My Asia travel I use Cathey.
    zpaul, dhammer53 and jbcarioca like this.
    • Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Sorry to hear. Hope the new strategy works well for you. :)
    zpaul, txmoney, rwoman and 1 other person like this.
    • Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

How do you benefit from the scorched-earth policy of cancelling your account? May as well at least leave it around sitting idle. Certainly let them know you have moved your travel away, and why, but may as well maintain the account, if nothing else for the lifetime status as by my count you should be at least 1-2MM.
    zpaul, dhammer53 and jbcarioca like this.
    • Original Member

newbluesea Silver Member

Amusing ...been Plat and Explat for 26 years and after all that time he's bent out of shape over what most would consider the "norm" for active flyers.

Cant help but notice the OP was quite careful not to give much details about the type and/or reasons for the delays and even more surprising that he apparently somehow thinks be will get brownie points for posting his rant on the AA board :D
    zpaul, LETTERBOY and MX like this.
    • Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Routine 2 hour delays are the norm?
    viguera and zpaul like this.
    • Original Member

newbluesea Silver Member

Ever do a lot of flying in (central/south) Florida in the (Summer) afternoons? If you did... say for the last 10 days perhaps you might not have asked that question.:)
    zpaul and flyforawg like this.
    • Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

My last two flights with AA have been delayed almost 9 hours and 3 hours respectively. I'm not jumping ship though, as I try to roll with the punches and I realize some things aren't within my or AA's control. Not everyone has that perspective or patience though. I can't help but think back to my 8 ish hours stuck in the airport two weeks ago though and remember that the terminal was full of UA's and DL's customers - everyone waiting for their delayed flights to finally board.

Happens to everyone and every airline. Jumping ship won't stop you from seeing delays. But for some folks it can make you feel like you have some control over the matter, even if it is mostly just an illusion.
    basiface, viguera, John777 and 4 others like this.
  3. Mike Reed Gold Member

No, and DOT's statistics bear that out. OP got a bad string of delays, possibly on weather-affected routes (who knows?). Four long delays in a row sucks, but my daughter has had more delays on WN flights this year than I've had on all airlines combined in the last three.

Does that mean WN is always delayed, too?
    zpaul, austin_res and flyforawg like this.
    • Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

While I always assume Regional jets in the SE will often as not run 30 min+ late in the summer afternoons, I seldom have 4 consecutive flights in those conditions. At least some of them are in the morning which are generally better, and if I'm connecting from a delayed flight I actually prefer my connection be delayed to match! Also, I tend to suspect that these were not all WX delays - at least one explicitly so.
    Well, over the 12 months ending in April (latest DOT report) AA reports 75% ontime arrivals. Southwest is 81, Delta 86, United 77, US 84. So comparatively AA is doing the worst right now. Also, Eagle leads the pack with over 5% cancellations (next is 2% lower) and AA leads the mainlines with 2.2%, double next-worse United. Eagle and AA are also worst in class in lost baggage.

So AA has definitely been experiencing operational issues, but every airline does at one time or another, and unless you're on a chronically-screwed eagle route you'll do maybe 10% better by going to e.g. delta.
    zpaul likes this.
    • Original Member

newbluesea Silver Member

First of just about all of AA flights in South Florida are mainline. My most travelled route TPA/MIA certainly is.
    To give an example of the sort of common wx problems, last week alone most of Central FL got in excess of 14 inches of rain and a ship I was involved in took 6 days to load as opposed to the normal 36 hours because of very heavy afternoon rains.

As far as on time stats you quoted (which really prove nothing when closely examined ) these numbers have always been thus and for the simple reason that AA's three main hubs DFW, MIA and to a lesser extent ORD are the three most weather affected airports in the country and so trust me they ain't gonna improve.:)
    AA probably has more flights in/out DFW and MIA than all the other carriers listed combined.
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

txmoney, I dumped UA for SW. Don't get mad, get even.

Disclaimer, I'm originally from Brooklyn.
    txmoney and JohnnieD like this.
    • Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Because WN & CX FAs never get sick, right? :rolleyes:
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Please report this to the bloggers. I think you scooped them with this information.
    boondr and Tenmoc like this.
    • Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

That depends on what you mean by "prove". AA's flights miss their arrival schedule a quarter of the time. If that's at the final destination, it's a problem with scheduling the rest of my day. If it's at a connection, then that's a potentially bigger issue, although with the long connections AA always seems to offer, at least from my market, I suppose there's less risk and more guarantee of a long trip. I understand this is not exactly a fair comparison given the connectivity of MSP, but it's at least as general as your "central florida" example, and I've seen it in other more competitive markets as well. Digging deeper into the stats, AA and UA show about 1-2% "air carrier" delays (i.e. stuff that's clearly their fault) than DL and US, and AA shows 5-6% more (and proportionally more) delays from late arriving aircraft than US/DL. AA delays seem to perhaps cascade further than US/DL ones do.

And don't forget NYC for messed up hubs, with all the congestion there. And yes, these numbers are incredibly easy to manipulate with padded block times etc. US certainly seems to do this in my experience, as I've arrived quite early on flights to PHX from MSP after leaving significantly late... The higher cancellation rate is more of a concern, and even if you blame the airports, AA needs to work with what it has. If delay-prone airports are part of the AA package, then the delays they cause are part of choosing to fly AA.
    newbluesea likes this.
  4. Juanefny Silver Member

You know... this happens with every airline. I remember about three years ago when I was a DL Diamond, I was facing delays after delays... I think it was just the luck of the draw, I just happened to be in delayed flights that month.
    LETTERBOY and mattsteg like this.
    • Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

3 years ago would have been in the first few months of the merged operating certificate with NWA. The UA/CO merger hurt operations there, the AA/US merger will likely hurt operations as well (as employee relations have under bankruptcy at times from my understanding). It's not purely luck of the draw - airlines in restructuring or merger mode do have extra challenges to overcome.
    LETTERBOY likes this.
    • Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

A loyal AA customer since 1987 and these unfortunate events are the tipping point? Something smells fishy.
    John777 and LETTERBOY like this.
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

I flew UA since 1988. After all the 'stuff' that went on after the merger, I was plenty pi$$ed. Flying a carrier for so many years is like a marriage. You can put up with a lot, but when one of the partners tips the seesaw, there's no looking back.

If the OP wasn't here for a while, I'd think the post was one of those hit and runs that you see on Trip Advisor; so I give the OP the benefit of the doubt.
    John777 likes this.
  5. txmoney Silver Member

I have read all the posts from original posting. I'm just fed up with the attitude and service of American. The benefits I got from be a million miler pale in comparison to what I now get with my companion pass at southwest. At least when I'm delayed I will have my wife with me. I never complained about weather or mechanical delays. It seems like many fellow high volume travelers have just gotten used to being treated poorly and assume that is normal. Unless those of us who pay top dollar for tickets and have been loyal for many years put our foot down why would they change. I'm just one traveler who has had enough. I spent almost 60k with American last year, if a 1000 travelers like me quit we would get there attention. I'm just one but personally I'm not taking it anymore.
    euromannn likes this.
    • Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

In all fairness, to maintain the MM benefits you need to do nothing, while to maintain the companion pass you need to earn 110k a year or do 100 segments. The fairer comparison, if the pass is earned from flying, is to Executive Platinum on AA.
    You complained about mostly unspecified delays. Some people extrapolated that to weather, given weather patterns of the past few weeks and lack of detail from you. As far as being treated poorly - you haven't given any examples of that. I don't really fly AA much at all - although the FF program has some attractive aspects the route network is unusable for me. I have been using US as a backup airline a fair bit, so do have a semi-vested interest in how things work out with the merger and may use them more going forward.

If you have complaints about how you've been treated, by all means bring them up. All you've mentioned is a relatively short rough patch of operational issues of indeterminate cause. I have no doubt there's more, but no idea what it is.
    It would get their attention, as long as they didn't make up that .1% of revenue in a cost savings or revenue increase somewhere else, and they didn't gain a similar number of equally disillusioned customers from DL, UA, WN, etc.

If you're open to participate, what are you so pissed off about? from the outside looking in, AA doesn't look that unattractive (and WN does).
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. austin_res Silver Member

I fly American most of the time, enough to maintain elite status with AA for the last 5 years. I'm always treated well.
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. Juanefny Silver Member

No, this was at least 6 months after they had completed "coming together", probably more like a year. It may have been two years ago instead of three then again... can't keep up with time anymore :D
    • Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

6 months after the death of the NWA code would have been june of 3 years ago. I consider that to be the first few months.