1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

I hereby announce the SDJ forum, where I shall reign as king

Discussion in 'NRT/HND/KIX/ITM/CTS/FUK | Japan Regional Airports' started by sendaiben, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    • Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

'cause I am pretty sure no-one else lives here ;)

Feel free to ask me stuff about the local area, etc. [​IMG]

2. sendaiben
    • Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Oh yeah, SDJ is Sendai, by the way [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

JALPak, jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  3. DoubleJ
    • Original Member

DoubleJ Gold Member

I have been to Sendai (or rather though it, sorry), but by train, so I have no experience with SDJ. Do you yourself make use of that airport?

jbcarioca and cockpitvisit like this.
  4. sendaiben
    • Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Yes, definitely. It has very useful flights to Osaka, Chubu, and Sapporo. A couple of international flights (Korea, Taiwan), and two flights a day to Narita (awesome if you are connecting to *A).

Check out more here: http://www.sdj-airport.com/english/flight/index.html

JALPak, jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  5. KIXman
    • Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Hail to the king!!!
    Now I know whom to contact when I visit :D
    yoroshiku dozo

LizzyDragon84 and jbcarioca like this.
  6. sendaiben
    • Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Drop in anytime [​IMG]

JALPak and jbcarioca like this.
  7. cockpitvisit
    • Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Do they have jetways at NRT for domestic connections, or do you always have to ride a bus?

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. sendaiben
    • Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

The flight from Sendai, no. You have to ride the bus cause the plane is too small to connect to the jetway [​IMG]

(it's a Bombardier something or other, not much bigger than a private jet, that's why seats are so hard to get SDJ-NRT, although the return flight is normally okay)

JALPak and jbcarioca like this.
  9. joejones
    • Original Member

joejones Silver Member

So why should one visit Sendai? Or what should one do while visiting Sendai for mundane reasons?

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. sendaiben
    • Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Well, my standard answer is that Sendai is a great place to live, but there's not much point in making a trip just to visit.

It is famous (in Japan) for gyuutan (cow's tongue), kamaboko (a foul fish past concoction), Matsushima Bay (overrated due to it's inclusion in the 'top three scenic places in Japan'), the Tanabata Festival (August 5-8th) which is a nightmare as the city fills with visitors -literally, and the Pageant of Light in December, where they put Christmas lights all over the city centre. To be honest, I would only recommend the last of these [​IMG]

However, if you want to break your journey on the way to the North, or you're in the area anyway, Sendai is a pleasant place. There are some nice temples to look at, we have the largest entertainment area in Tohoku (dining/drinking/nightlife), and the compact city centre makes shopping and wandering around convenient.

So, drop in if you're in the neighborhood, but don't make a special trip just for us [​IMG]

jbcarioca, Gargoyle, KIXman and 2 others like this.
  11. KIXman
    • Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

I think I need to make a trip there for the 牛タン :p

12. KIXman
    • Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

I look forward to your return from exile!

Gargoyle likes this.
  13. sendaiben
    • Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Thanks! I have left my kingdom, but hope to return soon.

JALPak, KIXman and Gargoyle like this.
  14. Gargoyle
    • Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Especially this week. :(

KIXman and sendaiben like this.
  15. Tinkerer
    • Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

These satellite pics from the NYT before and after the earthquake and tsunami show the damage :( from a birds-eye-view. I hope things settle down enough with the plants to allow folks to focus on reconstructing their lives soon.

16. sendaiben
    • Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

That's what we are waiting for. Once the situation with the nuclear plant and the food/fuel situation gets back to normal, we'll be back to pick up the pieces. I am not entirely convinced the nuclear incident is over, and until it is I won't be taking my family back to Sendai :confused:

KIXman and Tinkerer like this.
  17. KIXman
    • Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Welcome back home sendaiben!!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. sendaiben
    • Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

I am returned :D

19. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

I've been in Sendai but I didn't do any of the things on your list except walk around the shopping and entertainment areas and visit some temples. I found the city very pleasant and interesting partly because it was obviously not a place with lots of foreign tourists.

I remember a time when I Iwas supposed to arrive from the US on a connection through Osaka (which I thought would be easier than Tokyo) but a big blizzard closed the airport and JAL rebooked me into Tokyo, from where I took the bullet train and nevertheless arrived on the right day.

It was sad to recognize the area in news pictures, but I'm glad that you're now able to return home.

KIXman likes this.
  20. Tinkerer
    • Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Fantastic news!

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. kwai
    • Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Welcome back.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

You are making us all very happy. I hope your home and your conditions are all OK. Is SDJ back in operation? Are you and your family all recovered now?

KIXman likes this.
  23. sendaiben
    • Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

SDJ is unfortunately still out of commission. The closest working airport is Yamagata (GAJ), about an hour away by bus. Buses to Narita/Haneda (the train lines to Tokyo are out of commission) take about five hours.

My family are all fine, luckily. The city is slowly getting back to normal. You can buy most things, and we have electricity and water. Gas will take longer as they have to inspect each home before turning the gas on. Teams from all over the country are helping the Sendai Gas Board.

kwai, KIXman and jbcarioca like this.
  24. jbcarioca
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you're managing.

kwai and KIXman like this.
  25. KIXman
    • Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

It's great to know that things are coming back in Sendai and that you have the essentials of electricity and water :)
    In Kobe, gas took about 2-3 months to be fully restored after the Hanshin quake, but in the end they put things back together.

kwai, sendaiben and jbcarioca like this.