Instant SPG gold?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by PointyWings, Nov 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. PointyWings

PointyWings Silver Member

Does anyone know of any shortcuts to getting SPG Gold? A couple of years ago they had a program where all UA 1Ks were automatically entitled to SPG Gold, regardless of the number of nights stayed. Is there something like that available now?

2. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

How do you feel about getting an Amex Plat card?

Also, members of CLEAR were offered the status a few weeks back

Not sure about any other promos

-MO

perryplatypus and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

My entries into the hotel loyalty programs have all been through a credit card. I got into HHonors at the Gold level several years ago through some AMEX card. Then again through AMEX, I got an automatic SPG Gold that lasted for two years. I did nothing with it and I lost it early this year. Now, I just got automatic Hyatt Platinum through Chase UA MP UC card that is good for as long as I remain a cardmember. At the same time, I just got the Citi HHonors Reserve card that also gives me complimentary HHonors GOLD privileges for as long as I am a cardmember. There is a pattern there, I think. Look into one of the credit cards for a fasttrack path to Gold in SPG...

perryplatypus, guberif and mht_flyer like this.
  4. lcpteck

lcpteck Silver Member

If you're staying in the Asia Pacific, you could try the World Mastercard offer.

Tenmoc likes this.
  5. Scottrick
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

CLEAR promo only worked if you didn't already have a SPG membership IIRC. Sucked b/c I already have 120K points built up and dont' want two accounts. AmEx Plat is probably the way to go.

viguera likes this.
  6. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Merge two accounts.

I did it, receives the points and the status. That was last year, and of course YMMV.

-MO

Tenmoc and Scottrick like this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

There was a Miles&More offer for HON circle floating around for instant Gold- you need to credit the mileage though to the Miles&More program to be eligible which isn't really the best deal compared to points earnings.

8. Sun W Kim

Sun W Kim Active Member

Spend $30k and you can have SPg gold status.

Tenmoc likes this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    • Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

My goodness! That is a lot for SPG gold status. I would go for RA status for ICHG for less than $600 and you have a LOT more benefit. Also- apart from one more point per dollar are there any advantages of Gold over Preferred Plus (which you can get with a AAA card).

10. Scottrick
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Of course, I just applied for the Platinum card, so it's no longer an issue for me. But I should look into merged accounts in the future.

11. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Silver Member

How do you get RA for $600?

Tenmoc likes this.
  12. Scottrick
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Buy it. Existing RAs have a certificate they can provide to a friend giving him/her RA status, too. Many sell it on eBay or elsewhere.

ballardFlyer likes this.
  13. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Silver Member

I'd imagine selling/buying an invite is against TOCs (maybe not since it is IHG and their terms/promos/etc are oft in disarray). However, I didn't know about friend invites - I will have to chat with some of my travel buddies and see if there is an invite floating around.

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. Scottrick
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

I'll point out it's definitely not worth buying unless you're actually staying at ICH. For other Priority Club properties, it doesn't get you much. And I've heard that if you are only redeeming points, not paying for your room, then the RA benefits at ICH properties are not so great.

15. viguera
    • Original Member

viguera Gold Member

BTW my friend tried using the CLEAR trial to get SPG Gold (new CLEAR / new SPG member) and was denied. Not sure what criteria the registration process uses to determine that you don't qualify, but using https://www.spgpromos.com/clear2012/ ended up saying something along the lines of him not qualifying.

Weird, but that's one less option for instant SPG Gold.