Introducing the Brand New Citi Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by AmericanAirlines, Jul 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

• Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

My wife who is Gold status received the $ 100 offer. I am Platinum and received the $ 50 offer. Neither of us has ever been members of AC. Dare I say it, we enter via the AMEX Platinum. Or, the kindness of strangers.
    jbcarioca and dmel like this.
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

I don't much use it either because i very, very rarely am on AA domestic US, and when I am it is usually an international flight connection in Premium cabin, so I get in anyway. I did use this card a couple of times just to prove to myself that it works.
    tondoleo likes this.
    • Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

With the few posts we've seen, seems like status is the most likely culprit. I got $50 off and my AC membership expired in September 2011 and I didn't renew. I used the promo code and am now a "new" member again.
    jbcarioca and tondoleo like this.
  1. John777 Silver Member

I just received an email from AA apologizing for sending that offer, as I'm already a member. Text below:

"Dear John777,

You may have received an email from us yesterday including an offer for a new Admirals Club® membership. We realize you are already an Admirals Club member and apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused. We have identified the issue and have taken steps to ensure this does not happen again.

We value your relationship and understand that communicating with you via email is a privilege not to be taken lightly. Again, we apologize for any confusion the email may have caused and strive to provide you with an enjoyable Admirals Club experience. We appreciate you as a customer and look forward to welcoming you in an Admirals Club soon."
    tondoleo, jbcarioca and dmel like this.
  2. dmel Gold Member

+1. And as I stated, I'm only a member through the Citi Exec card.
    tondoleo and jbcarioca like this.
    • Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Got the email too. "we're sorry we informed you of a great deal that we really hoped you wouldn't know about" ;)
    tondoleo, jbcarioca and dmel like this.
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

The (in)famous Citi glitch machine is up and in good order. You'd think after dozens of fines and forced exit from businesses they'd get their act together. Seems not...
    tondoleo likes this.
    • Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

It looks like an AA/Admirals Club issue. I received the offer/apology, and I have a paid membership, not the Cit whatalongfreakinnameforacreditcard card.
    tondoleo, jbcarioca and John777 like this.
    • Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

+1

I did not have a membership, used the code to become a member, and also got an apology.
    jbcarioca likes this.
    • Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

I received an email a few moments ago from AA. They appear to be adding another inducement to get this card.

Earn Two International Business Class Tickets for the Price of One1 With The New Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® Card!

[​IMG]

Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage®
    World EliteTM MasterCard®

[​IMG]
    The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® is your passport to a world of luxury benefits:
    Earn Two International Business Tickets for the Price of One
    • Special limited time offer:
      Enjoy international round trip business class travel for two for the price of one!1 Purchase a qualifying international business class ticket for yourself to select American Airlines destinations, and use a certificate to bring along a companion.

(1) Two International Business Class Tickets for the Price of One: This Citi® / AAdvantage® card offer is valid only for first-time Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers who apply for an account pursuant to this offer by March 31, 2012. All travel must be completed by November 1, 2012. Issuance of the companion ticket is subject to, and the passenger is responsible for, all applicable taxes, fees and charges related to such ticket, including: (a) a federal excise tax of up to $3.70 per U.S. domestic flight segment of a passenger’s itinerary: a flight segment is defined as one takeoff and landing; (b) up to $18 round trip in local airport Passenger Facility Charges; and (c) September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per enplanement originating at a U.S. airport, up to $5 per one way or $10 per round trip. Taxes are subject to change. For international/Puerto Rico/USVI travel, additional government taxes and fees of up to $250 may apply. Your companion certificate will arrive 8-10 weeks after account approval. Terms and conditions apply. Travel must be booked and purchased in any D fare class booked in I inventory. This certificate is valid for travel originating from the United States to all international locations except Brazil/Argentina/Chile served by American Airlines, American Eagle and the AmericanConnection® carrier. Certificate is not valid on codeshare flights marketed as American Airlines online service but operated by airlines other than American Eagle or AmericanConnection carrier.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  3. kansaskeith Gold Member

On the surface, this APPEARS to be the offer that John777 brought up on items 128 and 131 of this thread, with some responses in numbers below that. If it indeed is the same offer, or at least a version of it, note the rather hybrid D/I class codes that need to be used, and thus note that it might not end up being quite as good as 2-for-1 from the least expensive biz-class fares you can find.
  4. John777 Silver Member

Indeed kansaskeith, this seems to be the same offer. Good to know that it'll be offered to all card holders.

From my research, it seems like it will be a bit of work to get a truly great value from this given the D/I class stipulation. It would have saved me about $300 on two business class tickets for an upcoming trip to Costa Rica, but I chose to purchase the two I class tickets outright and wait to see if I could find a better use for this certificate.

If anyone comes across a good routing/fare that this can be used on, please share!
    jbcarioca and tondoleo like this.
    • Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Thanks for pointing this out. I did a search in this forum but nothing came up about the 241. I recalled John's message. It was unclear to me if it was a bonus to original cardholders. Thus, I thought it might be helpful to folks on the fence about the card to read there was an additional benefit to all. FWIW, it is not a card I need to get.
    jbcarioca and John777 like this.
  5. John777 Silver Member

Great info for potential card holders
  6. Menashe Silver Member

A few notes on my first reservation since I had this card. There are a few kinks to be worked out, but they seem to be trying.

Before my flight:
    • No indication at first that my AAdvantage account or reservation was flagged in any way as priority
    • I placed several calls to AAdvantage CS and Citibank. Both were trying to be helpful, but neither seemd to be able to figure this out for a couple of weeks. Eventually, I was told that there is a "premium credit card" status, but it would take some time to update the system because they were still working on some issues.
    • A week later (and a week before my trip) I was told that both the account and reservation had been flagged as "premium credit card". I didn't see any indication online, but the rep said that I shouldn't expect to see it and my boarding pass would print with the Priority AAccess indicated.
    • Flight was early Monday AM. On Sunday, I printed out boarding passes, no Priority AAccess, just "Group 2". Two calls apiece to AAdvantage CS and Citibank with the end result of "yes, it seems wrong, but there's no one who can fix it on a Sunday, maybe it will work for your next flight". I was particularly annoyed that they told me that my best bet was to get to the airport early and alert an agent so I could get the Priority AAcess benefits - which are valuable specifically so I don't have to get to the airport early!
    • I posted a brief note to the AAdvantage facebook page indicating my frustration with the card. Bottom line, I'm not a frequent enough flyer that lounge access pays for me so if the other benefits work, great, if not then it's not a big deal, it's just probably not the card for me.
    Outbound:
    • They seem to have done something right, because the curbside check-in system came up with no charge for the first bag, but no indication of priority. The agent put Priority tags on my bags anyways.
    • Coincidentally, the TSA agent saw the long line for regular security and the nonexistent line at the Priority lane and sent my family to the Priority lane before I even showed my boarding pass.
    • Admirals Club allowed entry with the credit card and my ID, no issues there.
    • I had a layover in DFW. While in the airport, I was paged by AAdvantage CS. E. Scott Arnold, a CS manager, was there with a colleague and said that they saw my complaint, saw I was in DFW and decided to stop by and see what he could do. Frankly, I was flabbergasted (in a good way!) He explained that there was some problem in the system where certain reservations (seemed to be award reservations, maybe others) didn't process properly, but they were aware of it and would fix it. They gave me two 5000 mile certificates too. He said that they made the gate agents aware of it too and I should not have any trouble. At the gate, we were paged before boarding and told to board first, before the pre-boarding announcement. As we got on the plane, my wife whispered to me "I think you'll be keeping the card..."
    • When I arrived at my destination, I posted an update to the AAdvantage facebook page and called Citi to let them know that AA seemed serious about fixing the issues that I had reported.
    Return:
    • When I checked in for my return flight, I saw that they apparently worked around whatever problem they were having by flagging my account as Gold.
    • Boarding passes tagged properly with Priority AAccess
    • Flight from LAX to EWR was on a 3-class 762 with biz seats sold as coach; status allowed me to choose those seats, so was a nice perk.
    So, while there seems to be some teething problems - more than I would have expected for a premium card - AA seems serious about fixing them. All in all, the benefits work for me as a several times a year flyer who has a choice of airlines and I really appreciated the customer service response.
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Wow! I am impressed at how hard they're working. That is good news for cardholders and AA customers in general.
    Menashe likes this.
    • Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

I actually think this is pretty pathetic.

This card isn't in beta or testing stages. It's a premium card, with a premium price - $450/year.

If they can't get it right, they shouldn't be charging. That seems very simple to me.

I'm not sure if the fault is with Citibank or AA, but if it were me, I wouldn't care. You aren't getting what you paid for.
    Whatwasthat... and jbcarioca like this.
    • Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Hard to argue with you, but I never expect Citi to actually deliver as promised. I opened this card account and since the very first charge was the $450 fee I'll stick it out for the year. So far they are not convincing me taht they actually know how ot manage the card business any better than they did the mortgage business.
    • Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

I'm not planning to stick this one out. As soon as my wife hits the 1 MM total (might be this month) then I'm canceling and asking for a pro-ration, or even an entire fee credit.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Menashe Silver Member

I'm with you on this, in that the inability to deliver on a premium card is unacceptable. But I did get what I wanted and with some compensation.

Bottom line - they gave me 16000 miles for my trouble (10K at the airport, 6K in two separate phone calls, and worth at least $160, conservatively) and in a very inefficient way to AA gave me the service I paid for - I saved ~$200 on luggage fees for my family on one trip alone. Lounge access is nice, since I don't get to fly business on work trips and the 10K EQMs will probably be the difference between no status and status for next year.

I made the point to them that this is *not* a new card anymore and even if it was, when you're charging $450 you don't have the luxury of forgetting to tell your IT guys how to code the system. But they responded and corrected the issues (at least for me, I really don't know if everyone has to complain to get this fixed) and it meets my current needs. We'll see about next year...
    jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Menashe Silver Member

What was funny about this is that more than one Citi agent stayed on the line with me when we called AAdvantage. This seems to be purely an AA systems issue where a combination of poor training and incomplete systems setup mean that the status isn't properly reflected and they don't always understand what you're talking about when you call.

I haven't always been thrilled with Citi's service, but thay have a separate CS line for this card and the reps seem pretty knowledgeable and willing to stay on the phone to help.
    jbcarioca likes this.
  9. belleNY Active Member

I called Citi last week and asked about pro-rata refund for early cancellation. They said no refund, and said it was due to the payment of some funds to AA for the AC membership. So, I guess we keep the card till November...as Mr B will have his 2MM by his next billing cycle, we see no reason to keep the card going forward.
    jbcarioca likes this.
    • Original Member

Whatwasthat... Silver Member

Menashe, I'm so glad to read that things ultimately worked out for you! My wife & Son & I just got back from our first full family domestic round trip with baggage - trying out pretty much all of what's supposed to be provided with the Exec CC. I'm afraid it was somewhat disappointing, with one significant issue I'm currently in the process of (hopefully) getting rectified.

Outbound (LAX - EGE via DFW) - we used the Priority check-in line, no problem. But the Agent did not recognize that we were supposed to get our first bag checked free. I showed her the CC and she took it to talk with (presumably) a supervisor - only to return with a strong belief that there was no such benefit provided by the CC. So I put the baggage charges on the CC and figured I'd find someone at the Admiral's Club who'd be able to help me with this. Access to the Club was also no problem. But when I asked them whether they could help me with the baggage charge issue, they too didn't know there was a "free bag" benefit to the CC. At this point, I was actually able to pick up one of the CC Application Forms (sitting in a holder on the desk) and show them the provision was noted in the Form. They politely told me that they had been unaware of it, and suggested I check down the hall at Customer Service. Customer Service also politely told me they hadn't been aware of the benefit - but the Supervisor (a very nice lady whose name I didn't get) printed me out some info for AA Customer Relations and recommended I contact them to sort things out. I figured that's what I'd do after I completed the trip - wanting to see what our experience would be on our trip home a week later. Priority Boarding was no problem.

Return (DEN - LAX) - we checked the bags in curbside. This Agent (also very nice, and also not aware of the benefit until I showed him the CC and the Application Form, which I'd kept to show for reference) was willing/able to check one of our bags (mine) for free, but not my wife's or son's bag. Again, I put the baggage charges on the CC and figured I'd address both sets of charges when I got home. Again, access to the Club was no problem. But for curiosity, I asked them if they were aware of the free bag benefit of the CC - and they too were also unaware of it. Again, Priority Boarding was no problem.

On the whole, it was very helpful to be able to wait for our flights in the Club (especially on the way out, where a mechanical situation necessitated a return to LAX about ten minutes after takeoff, and our then rebooking to a non-stop flight about five hours later). But the baggage fee situation felt at times like being in a Monty Python sketch (and I really wasn't looking for an argument). I've now spoken to CitiBank Customer Service. They've been very supportive and told me they've contacted AA to get the fees credited back to my CC. What I'm most hoping for (aside from the refund) is that my experience won't be what others face and that my writing about it here might help alert AA to a potentially problematic communications and customer relations situation. Truly AA, I'm rooting for you and your employees! And CitiBank, I appreciate your help and am looking forward to this getting worked out!
    • Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

As I've said before, this type of situation is not at all tolerable for a card with a $450 annual fee.

Granted, I do expect to cancel my wife's card soon, but if I fly before we do, and any of this happens, I'm prepared to demand the full $450 back. It's a premium price for a premium product - they'd really should be delivering or, if their agents don't, falling over themselves to make it right back at the concierge.
  10. John777 Silver Member

As a Platinum, which of these issues would you expect to run into? You get the free bags and priority tag anyway.