1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Is there public transportation from IAD into DC?

Discussion in 'BWI/DCA/IAD | Washington D.C. Area Airports' started by Punki, Jun 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    • Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Well that's pretty much my whole question. I sort of remember taking a bus to the train. Is that right?

What's the scoop.

We will have a free day at Dulles on our way to Rome. It was the only way we could get the award tickets to work.

Thanks,

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    • Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

iolaire likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

IIRC, there's a shuttle bus to a Metro station, but the bus isn't real frequent and it's then a pretty long metro ride to the district.

There are also shuttle bus services to hotels, probably the blue SuperShuttle vans. You could ask to be taken to a hotel in Georgetown, for example, or to the Willard IC for the White House, Washington monument and mall/Smithsonian areas. For the return, you probably don't need a reservation if you just go to one of the major hotels.

4. wombat18
    • Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

5. dc_traveler
    • Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

HaveMilesWillTravel has posted the two public / semi-public ways of getting to DC from IAD. I have taken Washington Flyer. According to the schedule it leaves Dulles on the :15 and :45 marks after the hour. It's $10 one way and goes to the West Falls Church metro station, which is on the Orange Line. Once you get the train, it's probably about 25-30 minutes into downtown DC.

Scottrick likes this.
  6. iolaire
    • Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

7. tom911
    • Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

I regularly use the 5A when I come into IAD. Be careful with their weekend schedule, though, when you may only have hourly service. It stops at the Rosslyn Metro station which is a bock down the hill from Hyatt Arlington. The fare is now $6 one way.

Another option I'd suggest is taking the shuttle over to the Air and Space Museum. Have you been there? Easy to kill an entire day there. PHOTOS

iolaire likes this.
  8. Punki
    • Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Thanks for all the great ideas. I knew I could count on you guys.

Come to think of it, we do have a free Hertz day that we need to use up so this might be a good opportunity to go visit a vendor in Springfield--one less day vacation. ;)

On the other hand, the bus sounds like a good idea too. Thanks, Tom and iolaire.

We have seen the new Air and Space Museum--I think twice. Once with Oz IIRC. I love the Smithsonian but usually we go in November or or April or some other time when it is not so hot and crowded with tourists. Come to think of it, I still can't believe that we are leaving our beautiful cool Seattle and going to Southern Europe in July. See how easy it is to be tempted into doing something stupid by a totally amazing deal and free airline tickets. :D

9. Ktremor

Ktremor Silver Member

10. Scottrick
    • Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

This is what I do. The bus/Metro combo takes about an hour total each way IIRC, but it's your cheapest option. I don't remember the bus being especially prompt.

I still haven't been to the Udvar-Hazy, but this is probably still your easiest option if you are just taking a day trip during your connection.

dc_traveler likes this.
  11. WaterSki
    • Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Since the 5A metro bus fare was raised to $6, I think the Washington Flyer coach ($10) to West Falls Church is the way to go. Besides being more comfortable, less crowded, and better accomodating luggage, the Washington Flyer bus has a more frequent and consistent schedule - :15 and :45 past the hour, every day.

12. DeacFlyer1
    • Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Just download the WMATA mobile app--all of the Metro Buses in DC have GPS trackers, and are quite accurate--just use the app to enter in your stop, and it will tell you how many minutes until the next 5A bus arrival. It's always worked well for me when I've had the misfortune of having to get to DC via the Northern Virginia Suburban Sprawl Internati-----I mean, Dulles Airport.

13. mhnadel
    • Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

The 5A is reliable and, if you want to actually to to the city, goes all the way to L'Enfant Plaza. Since that is just about a block or 2 from the Mall, it's an easy, no-transfer way into DC.

14. James

James Active Member

I recommend the 5A, too. just make sure to have change/cash--it's always the most stressful part for all passengers.