1. #FlyForPink is the frequent flyers' effort in the fight against breast cancer.

Join us in supporting screenings, early detection, treatment and research globally at FlyForPink.com

Is Vueling in an alliance?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by USAJerry, May 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. USAJerry

USAJerry Active Member

I've pieced together my trip to Europe in June and was wondering if someone has any insight the Iberia/Vueling/OneWorld relationship.

I'm flying two Vueling flights on my trip. The first one I purchased through Iberia but is operated by Vueling. I'm able to earn points on my AA account because of Iberia's OneWorld affiliation. I'm all set with no problems on this leg.

As for the second flight, I booked through Vueling direct and had no option to input information as to my AA account.

So I'm guessing my first flight was just a situation where there's a codeshare and I get the points through Iberia's affiliation with OneWorld while my second flight there's no direct affiliation between Vueling and OneWorld hence I can't get AA points?

For this second flight, would I be able to get any points for an airline in any of the main three airline alliances?

Any help would be great. Hope this didn't sound any more confusing than it should be.

2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

It's not in an alliance and you probably won't earn points for the second flight other than for its own frequent flier program Punto. Sorry.

3. misman
    • Original Member

misman Gold Member

and remember that the "earning" is generally based on the metal of the aircraft, not the code. So, and Iberia flight operated by Vueling may earn you nothing at all.

4. Raffles
    • Original Member

Raffles Silver Member

You can earn Iberia Plus avios, I think, which can be transferred to a British Airways avios account for free, if you have one.

5. MSPeconomist
    • Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

That seems ratheer handy, even if you don't earn a lot on BA and just use the Avios for short flights.

6. jetsetter
    • Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

If booked via Vueling then you earn only Punto miles, if through Iberia you can earn Avios. Vueling itself is only codesharing with Iberia but is not part of any alliance. May I recommend paying a little extra for extra leg space on their flights. It can make your trip a lot more enjoyable.

7. joesmoe
    • Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Be careful with that airline. They are one of the worst for customer service of any airline i've ever flown.