Malaysia Airlines flight missing; 239 people on board

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Sammich, Mar 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370: 'We're still trying to define where the haystack is'

(CNN) -- Malaysian officials have stopped looking for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 everywhere except a remote portion of the southern Indian Ocean and have convened an international working group to pinpoint precisely where it went down, the country's acting transportation minister said Tuesday.

Even the Indian Ocean search was on hold Tuesday, however, as rough weather made it impossible to dispatch search aircraft to the region some 1,500 miles west of Perth, Australia. It will be at least Wednesday before the search resumes, Australian officials said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/25/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/

About Again likes this.
  2. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Australia Temporarily Suspends Search As Airline Echoes Belief That MH370 Crashed

Horrendous weather conditions in the Indian Ocean forced Australia to delay its search mission for flight MH370 for another 24 hours on Tuesday morning. As the vie chief of the Australian Defence Force phrased it to reporters, “We’re not searching for a needle in a haystack. We’re still trying to define where the haystack is.”

http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/...line-echoes-belief-that-mh370-crashed/359519/

About Again likes this.
  3. milchap
    • Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Flight MH370 was crashed into the Indian Ocean in an apparent suicide mission, well-placed sources revealed Monday night as Malaysia’s prime minister announced that everyone on the missing aircraft had died.
    The team investigating the Boeing 777’s disappearance believe no malfunction or fire was capable of causing the aircraft’s unusual flight path, or the disabling of its communications system before it veered wildly off course on a seven-hour silent journey into the sea. An analysis of the flight’s routing, signalling and communications shows that it was flown “in a rational way.”
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...pparent-suicide-mission-official-sources-say/

blackjack-21, About Again and uggboy like this.
  4. satman40

satman40 Silver Member

One must wonder why all the lies from Malaysia, they must have been stalling.

mht_flyer, About Again and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

This all depends on what they've known and what was deemed to be newsworthy plus what wasn't. Only when the full picture emerges we will have the real answers.

About Again likes this.
  6. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

About Again likes this.
  7. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Very sad... :(

uggboy and About Again like this.
  8. About Again

About Again Gold Member

'The Daily Show' Catches Up On (and Tears Apart) Coverage of Malaysia Flight 370

[​IMG]COMEDY CENTRAL

Jon Stewart was on a break last week, which meant The Daily Show missed all of the cable news hullabaloo surrounding the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. But don't worry, because Stewart spent last night's episode ripping CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC for their "coverage" of the missing plane. And boy, was it a mess.

First there was CNN, which after spending sixty seconds reporting the whole of the story – MH370 was missing – realized it had some 23 hours and 59 minutes of airtime left to fill, and simply said "**** it, let's go nuts."

Stewart listed off everything from CNN's "bag of tricks" during its bogus coverage: "Giant floor maps! Big fake airplanes! Little fake airplanes! Holographic airplanes!"

And then there was Don Lemon. Poor Don Lemon, who asked, without a seeming trace of irony, if it was so "preposterous" to suggest that a tiny black hole sucked in the missing plane. (Spoiler: yes, it is preposterous). One CNN anchor even recommended the use of psychics to find the plane. Seriously. The only supernatural occurrence going on, as Stewart said, was CNN's "Bermuda triangle of logic."

Of course, CNN's coverage itself became a story, as other networks (*cough* Fox news *cough*) decided to mock the network. And then CNN, which again had all those hours to fill with something, covered Fox's coverage of their coverage, creating what Stewart calls a "NEWS LOOP!"

MSNBC, not wanting to miss out on all the action, proudly had some of its hosts (Chris Hayes and Rachel Maddow) clearly denounce the nonsense its competitors were engaging in. Only not everyone on the network got the memo, apparently, because good ol' Ed Schulz went off on a rant about a "high tech hijacking" in the jungle.

In short, cable news was in fine form last week.

Concerto and uggboy like this.
  9. milchap
    • Original Member

milchap Gold Member

FYI.

But we've been had!

From the World Wide Interweb:

"No such ad was ever created or published. The aircraft depicted is actually an Airbus A380, not a Boeing 777, and indeed the original ad copy, which dates from 2012, said: "OUR NEW A380 - A JOURNEY OF EPIC PROPORTIONS. THE PRIDE OF OUR NATION."

About Again, anileze and uggboy like this.
  10. satman40

satman40 Silver Member

You do not need a transponder in to be seen, you do dial in a squawk a dialed in number to be identified.

Maybe we will never know,

$5,000 will not replace any of the life's lost. I only have knowledge of one person who was on the plane, he leaves a child and a wife, along with many members of his family.

Two years out of Cambridge with a PhD, down there for an oil company.
    China does not give out student loans, families do.

11. euromannn
    • Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Real mystery. Good story milchap.
    Foreign intelligence agencies have conducted two rounds of checks on the passengers and found nothing suspicious about any of them. Nor have any leads emerged from an intensive police investigation into the two prime suspects, Zaharie Ahmad Shah, the 53-year-old pilot, and Mr Hamid, the 27-year-old co-pilot. Neither of them has any known background of extremism or psychological problems.
    Police have interviewed more than a hundred friends and family members of the pilots, conducted a forensic investigation of a flight simulator seized from Mr Shah’s home, combed through their laptops and flying records, and enlisted the help of the FBI and Interpol. But a source involved in the police inquiry told The Daily Telegraph: “We are still clueless. We have not collected anything suspicious.”

About Again, satman40 and uggboy like this.
  12. FetePerfection
    • Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

satman40, About Again and uggboy like this.
  13. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

And they won't be able to find anything suspicious until, and if, they can find the CVR and FDR, or a large portion of the aircraft that puts to rest some theories of a fire or explosion aboard, which are still floating around the airways.

Question before I launch my "what if" to be added to so many others: If the part of the Indian Ocean is as deep as many people say, will the extreme pressure on both recorders not crush them? It's reported that some sections of that ocean have depths of 20,000 feet or further, and a regular submarine would be crushed like an eggshell at those depths. Are those flight recorders built sturdy enough to not be crushed by the extreme pressures of very deep ocean areas?

Let me put my totally uneducated guesses forth, without my assuming to know all that has been reported so far.

The aircraft seems to have made it under power to the Indian Ocean southwest of Perth. Someone would have to have made course, speed, and altitude corrections along the way to get it to that point before it disappeared, seemingly into the ocean.

Firstly, and assuming that no hijacker or outsider entered the cockpit after the plane took off from KL, that leaves only the two pilots in control of the aircraft. The captain, who was well respected in his community and the airline company and had many thousands of hours of flight time under his belt, and who loved flying and particularly the Triple Seven, so much so that he painfully constructed a replica of the flightdeck of the plane as a simulator in his home. And the copilot, who was on one of his first flights in the B777.

Several things that happened within days of this flight MIGHT have brought the captain to try this terrible deed. A leader of the opposing political party of which he was a member was jailed, and the captain was supposedly very upset by that happening. Also, why did the captain's wife and three children suddenly move out of their home the day before the flight? And was his phone call about eight minutes before takeoff to his wife, to try to get her to come back to him with their kids? If it was her, did she refuse? Could he have been upset over possibly hearing that because of Malaysian Airlines' 2013 losses that they were considering cutting staff and he, being a long time and presumably higher paid employee, may be one of those released?

If all or most of the above are true (and please realize I'm just guessing here), isn't it possible that he was so depressed by everything that had happened in those prior few days that he just decided to throw it all away? In doing so, he would take one last flight in the plane he loved and fly it as long and as far as he could, only to die, along with all aboard, in that crash somewhere in a far off ocean?

The flight took off from KL and headed out on the correct course for almost an hour, before several transmitting devices were turned off or disabled. Then turned left after which some violent and unusual attitude changes were observed. Could there have been a struggle between the pilot and copilot and during that time the wheel pushed forward and back so abruptly that all those unusual changes were produced? In the struggles, could the captain have disabled the copilot (or worse) and then took over alone in the cockpit to make his seemingly meandering course and altitude changes, finally heading in a southerly direction where he realized it may have been harder for radar to track him, and then flown the bird until it's fuel ran out and it could fly no further.

The copilot, from all reports, was soon to be married, and this was to be his first flight in the B777 without a check pilot in the third seat, watching to see his abilities with this type. He previously had five of six flights with the check pilot present, but this was to be his first "solo" with only the pilot in the left seat. I'd think he would have been thrilled to have gotten this far in his training at the time of the ill fated flight.

All guesses, and just adding to the numerous other "what ifs", but absent of any other concrete information such as a hijacker getting into the flight deck, or a fire which wouldn't have made the plane flyable for six more hours, another set of thoughts to ponder. Not that the authorities are listening to outsider's guesses at this point.

Concerto, About Again and uggboy like this.
  14. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

15. milchap
    • Original Member

milchap Gold Member

16. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Some of his single engine guesses leave room for at least my doubts. And I rarely wear a hat, tinfoil or otherwise.

17. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

"The team investigating the Boeing 777’s disappearance believe no malfunction or fire was capable of causing the aircraft’s unusual flight path, or the disabling of its communications system before it veered wildly off course on a seven-hour silent journey into the sea. An analysis of the flight’s routing, signalling and communications shows that it was flown “in a rational way.”
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...pparent-suicide-mission-official-sources-say/"

Who am I to dispute the analysist's "rational way" finding. A rational way would have seen it landing at it's intended destination near the flight's intended arrival time. Not a severe course change with abrupt attitude increases and drops for several times. Then a southward track to it's final watery destination. Nope, I wouldn't quite call that flying "in a rational way"!

18. gregm

gregm Gold Member

I'll keep my tinfoil hat on, thank you. There are so many 'what ifs'. Too many. I'd like to believe that a 777 would never fail catastrophically. Life is not perfect so thats not an iron clad theory. I would hate to think that a pilot or FO could be responsible, as well. Passenger/hijack scenario? Who knows? AND that the whole hullabaloo in the early days of the disappearance really screwed things up for those trying to put together the pieces. (No pun intended.....yet.)

19. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Greg, if and it's a large IF....that B777 had a catastrophic failure, it wouldn't have made it as far as it did (at least as far as they think it did at this point). With a partial and continuingly increasing failure, maybe. The aircraft doesn't make such severe and unusual course and altitude changes by itself. A human (crew, hijacker, or other intruder) somewhere along the line, had to either physically make the aircraft accomplish those changes by actually piloting the aircraft, or at the least, by resetting the autopilot's settings to make those changes.

Thanks for keeping your tin hat on. I found it very uncomfortable to have one on (ok, it was steel) without a helmet liner underneath it, and it was prone to get very warm in the desert.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  20. gregm

gregm Gold Member

I had to include every option, just to maintain my objectiveness and make my point.....and I'm still definitely not feeling good about the way the info was mishandled up until recently.

uggboy, blackjack-21 and About Again like this.
  21. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

The extra day's weather delay may have one good result if that's possible. If the storm was intense enough, it might have brought up nearer the surface some of the smaller and lighter debris that hadn't yet settled all the way down to the ocean's bottom, and had been caught in the water's different temperature zones with the denser levels in places.

About Again and uggboy like this.
  22. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Agreed competely about the delays and holding back initial information at the outset, and I just noticed the first sentence of milchap's thread above (# 653) which reads "Flight MH370 was crashed into the Indian Ocean in an apparent suicide mission, well-placed sources revealed Monday night as Malaysia’s prime minister announced that everyone on the missing aircraft had died."

Now we just have to figure out who was sending that aircraft on it's final flight. And as my long diatribe above may lead one to believe, if no stranger or hijacker was shown as being in that cockpit......remembering Egypt Air and Silk Air.

The question is why?

About Again, uggboy and gregm like this.
  23. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Also how and when? And where? And who? I wonder if we'll ever know all.

About Again, uggboy and blackjack-21 like this.
  24. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Those little orange colored "black boxes" may help with the how and when. The where and who remains to be seen, if ever.

About Again, uggboy and gregm like this.
  25. uggboy
    • Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

blackjack-21 and About Again like this.