Start Date: Mar 3, 2012 07:00 PM
End Date: Mar 3, 2012 09:00 PM
Time Zone: America/New_York -05:00 EST

517 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10017

Posted By: NYBanker

Confirmed Attendees: 18
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. NYBanker
    • Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

UPDATED March 2, 2012

All is on schedule for tomorrow night. Many people are arriving in NYC Friday evening. The "main event" is 7pm to 9pm on Saturday at the RLounge at the Renaissance Hotel. http://www.rloungetimessquare.com/ We are booked under "MilePoint FLounge NYC Do". We will be several floors up, overlooking Times Square.

A post drinks dinner (potentially also with bottomless wine) is contemplated too!

Brunch is set for Sunday morning at a classic New York location...details further down in the thread.

[​IMG]

UPDATED FEBRUARY 28, 2012
    At present, there are 15 people paid and confirmed for the R Lounge event. If you are on the fence at all and aren't in the "paid thread," please PM me.

At the Renaissance Hotel, our event will be listed as the "Milepoint NYC Do."

Drinks will be served.... ;)

UPDATED FEBRUARY 25, 2012
    Hi All - A number of important updates. I will PM all confirmed "yes" recipients on this as well.

1) The time for the R Lounge has been set for 7pm on Saturday March 3. This should be considered final. At present, 14 people are paid and confirmed for the drinks event.

2) Unfortunately, another group has asked for our space at the R Lounge. Whereas the lounge was holding our space gratis, we now need to guarantee the booking. I will put down the guarantee, but will need to ask that everyone pre-pay for the open bar time at R Lounge (and do so in a fairly timely manner). We can collect payments via Venmo, so everyone can earn points, and no one incurs fees. I will PM each confirmed person directly.

3) An optional dinner has been added at Wollensky's Grill (Lex/49th) for about 10pm. Prepayment is not necessary - this can be decided on the fly on Saturday.

UPDATED FEBRUARY 17, 2012

Time of the drinks at R Lounge may change (move a bit later)...stand by.

UPDATED FEBRUARY 15, 2012
    The FL* Loungers are pleased to announce a NYC Do. All are welcome, and we hope to see as many MP'ers join as possible. We expect to have a number of non-NYC folks coming in for the event - and it will definitely be a great time!

* * * * *​
    After some discussion and consideration, a few changes have been made to the program. Dinner at a quality steakhouse was going to run easily close to $200 per head and it became clear that a price point like that was a bit uncomfortable for a number of participants (welcome to NY!). So, based on a very good suggestion from GoodBoy, we've integrated food and unlimited drinks, in a much more affordable setting.

For the principal event on Saturday night, a large table (room for 20+) has been reserved at R Lounge. R Lounge is in the Renaissance Hotel at 7th and 48th and offers incredible views of Times Square. For those new to NY, or even those of us from this part of the world, there are few more iconic views...and will make a memorable setting for our visiting guests and locals alike.

R Lounge will include two hours of unlimited open bar, and continuously served appetizers of:
    • White Bean Hummus Toast
    • Fried Rock Shrimp
    • Smoked Salmon Salad
    • Cheeseburger Sliders
    • Chips and mystery green dip
    The price is $65, plus tax plus tip (figure $85 each). (We've got meat, fish and no-meat/fish choices on the menu.)

Our booking is from 5:30 till 7:30. From there, we can head back over to the east side and find our way into more of a locals place and drink more (and potentially eat more), but at our discretion.

Due to the contractual nature of making such a booking in NY, we will need to cut off the time for RSVPs probably a week before the event. I'll contact all the maybes in due course and we can sort out who will actually be coming.

* * * * *​

Saturday, March 3
    • Drinks and food (starting at 7:00pm) http://www.rloungetimessquare.com/ 2 Times Square...Renaissance Hotel...714 7th Avenue...at 48th Street.
    • More drinks on the east side
    • Dinner (Wollensky's Grill - Lex/49 10pm)
    Sunday, March 4
    • Brunch 11:30 am downtown. See this post for exact details. A firm RSVP is needed for this as well.
    Most people are staying at the Hyatt. The new Hyatt 48/Lex Same street...just on the other side of Rockefeller Center from the R Lounge. A few are at the Lexington Avenue W, which is just around the corner from the Hyatt.

HPN-HRL, dmel, DeltaExpert and 8 others like this.
  2. NYBanker
    • Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

(amended 1/2 5:20pm)

Let me make offer up some suggestions for dinner venue. Please voice any thoughts on these. Each will be able to handle parties of our anticipated size without issue. Very happy to consider others, too.
    • Aburia Kinnosuke: http://www.zagat.com/r/aburiya-kinnosuke-manhattanNon-sushi Japanese (though a little sushi is included)...East 40s...

“As authentic as non-sushi Japanese gets in NYC”, this “intimate” Midtown izakaya wows with “delicious” robata-grill dishes and “housemade tofu” that go down well with “top-notch sake”; the “transported”-to-“Tokyo” experience is “pricey”, except for the “fantastic-bargain” lunch (seven courses for $35)."
    • Lucien http://www.zagat.com/r/lucien-manhattanComfortable French Bistro ... Near 1st and 1st... "

“As warm as its namesake owner”, this “jolly” East Villager “brings Paris to mind” with “well-executed” Gallic staples and an “unpretentious” vibe that skews “lively” late-night; granted, you’ll be “on top of the people next to you”, but there’s more “breathing room” if you go “early.”"
    • Rosa Mexicana http://www.zagat.com/r/rosa-mexicano-manhattanHigher end Mexican ... East 50s.

“Jumping” is the word for this “flashy” Mexican trio that “gets it right” with “flavorful” food and “personable” service; the “mandatory” menu item is the “sublime” guacamole, while the “atomic” pomegranate margaritas make the “ruckus” and rather “dear” pricing easier to digest.
    • Avra http://www.zagat.com/r/avra-manhattanSeafood / Greek ... East 40s (right next to Hyatt 48/Lex) ...
      The “Mediterranean meets Manhattan” at this “fabulous upscale” East Side Greek seafooder that’s “always jammed” with seekers of “meticulously prepared meze” and “perfectly grilled” fish; look past the “noise” and “Olympian” per-pound pricing – just focus on the “fresh” catch.
    • Smith and Wollenskys http://www.zagat.com/r/smith-wollensky-manhattan Steak and Seafood East 40s (two blocks from Hyatt 48/Lex)
      You can almost “smell the testosterone” at this sprawling, 35-year-old Midtown “man’s world” where “old boys’ club” types assemble for “juicy” slabs of beef and a “kick-ass wine list” served by “old-pro” staffers; granted, the experience “doesn’t come cheap”, but given the high-rolling crowd you might come away thinking that there’s “no recession here.”
    • Pipa http://www.zagat.com/r/pipa-manhattan Spanish Flatiron District
      “Loads of fun”, this “vibrant” Flatiron Spaniard is also a “sexy” option for “terrific tapas” lubricated with a “pitcher of sangria”; overhead “chandeliers with price tags” mesmerize “shoppers” in the crowd, and distract from the “indifferent” service.

Concerto, MLW20, Jubileesmom and 3 others like this.
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

New member here. Is this the sort of thing that anyone (eg new, non-status, somewhat hapless Milepointers) can drop in on? And is there any commitment beyond the cost of dinner and drinks?

Thanks.

4. Kaanapali
    • Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

It is open to all.....and if you are thinking of coming...please feel free to visit our little corner of MP and stay a while :)

5. NYBanker
    • Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Hi Larry. You're absolutely welcome...no MP status cards will be checked upon arrival! ;)

You are also welcome to join for some or all of the events...don't feel obligated to do everything if it is too much time (though you're very welcome to join for all!).

6. Jubileesmom
    • Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

It looks like it is open to anyone and everyone who wants to attend:D We are a friendly bunch and encourage newcomers. No commitments that I know of. You pay for whatever you participate in and that is it. :D

7. GoodBoy
    • Original Member

GoodBoy Gold Member

NYB, maybe worth considering the R lounge at the Renaissance, just for the views of the great white way, or even the smaller bar on the left for a drinks session, for the out of towners and the locals the views are pretty special or maybe just for desert and drinks after dinner elsewhere, Smith & Wollenskys for quintessential NYC steakhouse experience

Concerto, Jimgotkp, Kaanapali and 2 others like this.
  8. NYBanker
    • Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

The $10k view! Great idea. I suspect if we go early enough, we should be able to reserve a table there for drinks. I'll look into it.

Concerto, Jimgotkp, Kaanapali and 3 others like this.
  9. MLW20
    • Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

I am going to try to make it but would not be staying in a hotel as I live in Brooklyn... Any idea of what you are considering for the activity after lunch on March 4?

As for dinner on March 3- I'd recommend Pipa which has very good tapas.

GoodBoy, IDGflygirl, Concerto and 4 others like this.
  10. Jubileesmom
    • Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Nom, STEAK:D

Concerto, Jimgotkp, Kaanapali and 3 others like this.
  11. Jubileesmom
    • Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Woohoo:cool:

GoodBoy, Concerto, Jimgotkp and 3 others like this.
  12. GoodBoy
    • Original Member

GoodBoy Gold Member

they have seafood:)

13. NYBanker
    • Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

I've updated the restaurant menu.

14. rwoman
    • Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

I maybe able to attend. :)

15. dmel

dmel Gold Member

:confused: - Jimgotkp: maybe?

16. canucklehead
    • Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

I will attend the dinner or brunch if I am in town but I may be in SF planning the Kiva Do that weekend!

17. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

I plan on making all or part of this event. It is my wife's birthday that weekend so will have to wait a bit longer before I can give a real answer. Looking forward to hearing more details. No hotel, will be coming in from Brooklyn...possibly with MLW20

18. TAHKUCT
    • Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Will attend if I am going to be in town, but will not now till February :(

19. dmel

dmel Gold Member

I'll throw out a suggestion of Minetta Tavern... In my mind, the black label burger is just that good.
    I'm sure I have pictures of it somewhere... Derek Jeter and Minka Kelley were at the table next to us, so I had to be careful how I placed the camera so that it wouldn't in their eyes, think that it would end up page 6. Of course, I atttempted to skirt that rule, not to relieve Page6 of some of their sheckels but just for personal use -- "look who we saw next to!?"

Another great one (same group) is Morandi. Great Italian.

But then again, NYB and Tim (and I think K) come into the city way more than I do... I'll be along for the ride.

I'll brainstorm on some giveaway swag.

20. From NYC
    • Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Not sure if I’ll be in town then, but would happily join in all if in town. Will stay in touch with the thread. :)

Depending on the size of the group, Minetta might be difficult, especially for a dinner. Once size is better known, I can make an enquiry, if people want to go there.

GoodBoy, IDGflygirl, Concerto and 4 others like this.
  21. GoodBoy
    • Original Member

GoodBoy Gold Member

For views at Times Square the R lounge would win, there are so many good options in the precinct, but I think we should either leave up to NYB to choose or have a vote from an ultimate fine tuned short list created by NYB:) one thing for sure you can go to good restaurants in every city, but you can't capture the iconic views of NYC/Times Square better than at the R lounge to remember your Do in NYC:)

22. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Do you have "the card/number?"

23. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Speaking of special views in the city... has anyone been to the View of the World Lounge (http://www.viewoftheworld.com/) on top of Club Quarters at the WTC? I have not been but have access... not sure if it's something worthwhile or just a tourist trap. Supposedly it overlooks the reflection spools.

24. From NYC
    • Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

I have a number to call for reservations. ;)

25. dmel

dmel Gold Member

They have different numbers that they give out to different levels of customers... Wasn't sure if you had a hook-up for a large party :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint