1. Milepoint will be taken offline for scheduled maintenance
    The site will be down Tuesday, September 16th at 10:00 p.m. MDT for approximately 1 hour.

[Mar 7, 2011] Star Mega DO III launch party! (New York, NY)

Discussion in 'Meetups' started by tommy777, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

Star Mega DO III launch party!
Start Date: Mar 7, 2011 07:00 PM
End Date: Mar 7, 2011 09:00 PM
Time zone: America/New_York -05:00 EST

485 5th Avenue
New York, NY, 10017

Posted By: tommy777

Confirmed Attendees: 31
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":

The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. IDGflygirl
    • Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

you're so generous![​IMG][​IMG]
  2. dhammer53
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Isn't it the thought that counts. [​IMG]
    SC Flier and IDGflygirl like this.
  3. kwai
    • Original Member

kwai Gold Member

I know it's last minute but I'm not gonna be able to make it tonight. Under the weather and getting out with drink is not gonna help. Enjoy.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    • Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

But the bar entrance is on 5th. ;)

Great seeing everyone tonight!!
    IDGflygirl likes this.
  5. Art234
    • Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Good to see you to, and a pleasure to meet your bride finally!!
    IDGflygirl likes this.
  6. squid
    • Original Member

squid Silver Member

I recognized more than two people.
    (I'm a proud Brooklyn tour alumn.)
    Christian Martinez and dhammer53 like this.
  7. kiwi
    • Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Who is first to spill the beans on SMD3?
  8. secretsea18
    • Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Fun night at the launch party last night.
    I'll leave Tommy777 to make the official announcement about the DO details. [​IMG]
  9. From NYC
    • Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Good seeing folks again at the gathering last night.
  10. tommy777
    • Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Thank you all for coming out. I had a blast (as usual) That. 0750 flight from LGA was brutal, though.

What's the plan?

Optional program (European part)
    Lufthansa A380 from JFK to Frankfurt, then on to Munich. Program in Munich, including Lufthansa and also other Star carriers. Flight to Chicago the following day.

The DO
    Program at United world HQ and at Hyatt (Park Hyatt Chicago).
    Flight from Chicago to the Embraer factory (pending customs etc) and then a hop to Sao Paulo.
    Party at the Grand Hyatt Sao Paulo. Charter return to Denver, program in Denver.

Aircraft: Working on getting a 767-300 from United, have a good price on a 767-200 from Continental. Hoping for the 767-300 so Capt Denny can fly us down.

Dates are a little complicated, posting a survey about this in a separate post
  11. SS255
    • Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Thanks for the overview, Tommy. I have to attend a business conference the 2nd week of September, so I am hoping that I can squeeze in the *A Mega Do if you hold it the week of September 5.
    IDGflygirl likes this.
  12. yosithezet
    • Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Interesting to see how folks from the DO in Argentina that week will fit into this whole plan.Good plan though :)
  13. dhammer53
    • Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Make it home ok? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    SC Flier likes this.
  14. scubaflyer
    • Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Great to meet you secretsea18. Thanks for humoring me with all of the diving info.

I had a blast as well. The side trip to get burgers afterward really made it tough to get up for my 7am flight [​IMG].
  15. scubaflyer
    • Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

It was great to finally meet a bunch of you at the party last night. It was great to see alot of familiar faces also. I look forward to hanging out with many of you again during SMD3.
    IDGflygirl likes this.
  16. EWR764
    • Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Good time last night, maybe a little too good. It was a rough one today...

It was a pleasure to meet a bunch of you all. I enjoy putting faces to the names/handles. Also a treat to meet Patrick! :D
  17. 744
    • Original Member

744 Gold Member

Will it be possible to only do the optional part to Germany or do you need to be part of the main do in order to do the optional leg?

And another stoopid question, do the DO flights earn miles if charters? I would assume we'd never get on a plane without them!
  18. yosithezet
    • Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

In past years there have always been deals with some programs to earn miles for the various bits. I'm sure the organizers haven't lost sight of this benefit this year. :)
  19. IDGflygirl
    • Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

The charter flt does get credited w/miles that are specially negotiated by the SMD team, and vary by participating program![​IMG]
    In the past, in order to participate in any of the other ' optional' aspects of SMD, the qualifying requirement is participation in the charter.
  20. Richard Chen
    • Original Member

Richard Chen Silver Member

It was awesome meeting some new faces, reconnecting with old ones and I know SMD2011's going to be awesome with y'alls there. Totally psyched for the evolving details whose excitement already make this event palpatable.
  21. SS255
    • Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

There is no guarantee that the charter flight will earn miles with any of the *A carriers. The Star Mega Do organizers have been able to negotiate special deals with certain *A mileage programs the past 2 years.
  22. IDGflygirl
    • Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

I have already 'heard' that these negotiations are underway, but agree that there is no 'guarantee'![​IMG]
  23. 744
    • Original Member

744 Gold Member

Please have bd on the list of plans!
  24. IDGflygirl
    • Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

For the past SMDs, all the 'major' *Alliance partners were contacted, & they each responded with their level of interest -- so YMMV, & it's totally up to the individual partners whether to/how many miles that will offer to participants! Remember this is an 'additional' bennie for charter participants, & so any decision to participate should not be 'solely' predicated on what miles may be offered by the airline partners!
    744 likes this.
  25. secretsea18
    • Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Yes I did. [​IMG] Good to see you to!
    It was nice to meet you too, scubaflyer. Diving info.... well, I really like to dive! [​IMG]

YOU went out for burgers afterwards???
    IDGflygirl likes this.